Being able to visit new places?

Started by 666Matt666, June 21, 2016, 03:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

666Matt666

I don't like the fact that you're trapped in a dirt box FOREVER. It would be much better if i could send out scouts to the neighbouring territories, or just move my entire colony by the ship. I don't think it would cause preformance problems if you only had only one chunk of earth loaded. Maybe there could be more bases per colonies, and you could move your resources around via the trade beacon.

Ps.: sorry if someone suggested this already, 200+ pages are way too much to read

Thane

Well, it's not that the chunks aren't loaded.. They aren't even generated in the current system.

I've had multiple colonies on the same patch with drastically different terrain.

There is also a search function (top right) to make searching for redundant posts easier.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Cocoarico

I came here to suggest this very idea. I think this would open up the endgame considerably. You would be able to raid other towns, set up trade routes or just visit friendlies to increase social stats. Each other town could be crowd sourced with players uploading their favorite settlements. And when you finally pissed off enough of your neighbors you simply pack up on the ship and take off to a new world. It would add so much depth to the game, and development wise shouldn't be too big a hurdle to jump. Simply loading and unloading maps, with multiple save states for the territories and settlers.

Imagine being invited to a wedding in a neighboring settlement, kitting up your settlers in their best fineries, and of course bringing as much beer as you can carry. Only to have your rowdy settler start a drunken fight, and then absconding with as many valuables as possible in a hail of gunfire.

Kryc8

I think that I know how to solve visiting problem.
First you need to know The Oregon Trail game https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oregon_Trail_(video_game)
It's game about traveling. You don't have too much to do. You just deside where to go, when stop to hunt and repair you wagon, you can choose how fast and how much your people can eat per day, you can heal someone (damn dysentery). And when you're in town you can trade. You always see simple informations like:
-health
-wagon health
-how much food is left
-how far is to next land mark
-date
-weather
(some information may not be in the oregon trail but in the organ trail director cut (the same game but about zombies. I recommend checking out)
So my idea is that when you leave (whole colony or just some people) you would see screen where you can see how they are traveling (time x5). You would see also how healthy they are, how much food and beer is left, weather etc.

http://imgur.com/S5MxpV9 (image on the right side)

You would be able to stop traveling at any time to rest, heal, and hunt some food.
When your colonist would get back home you would start game when they leave and they would get back after some time (how long they were traveling). If nobody is left you would see how people make camps near colony, raiders raiding colony, wanderers wandering etc. Everything valuable
would be gone and you would have chance to see tribe people living in your colony.
What do you think about my idea? Were you able to decipher my english ? (At least I hope so)