Yes!
17 (63%)
Meh.
9 (33.3%)
No...
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

PotatoeTater

Before I begin, I asked permission before I built this.

I had originally posted this in just the tester sections; however, I thought I would put it out here so everyone could see it and comment on it.

Anyways, I have always liked CD's with cool labels, and since I have a huge wall full of CD's on display of my favorite games, I though why not add Rimworld to it.

I built this CD during my lunch break, so it is just a proof of concept, I plan on making one for each alpha with a different background to reflect the alpha; however, for alpha 13 I just did a generic label.

I also want to point out that the CD is fully functional as I build an autorun function for it, that way when the CD is inserted into a computer it will bring up an autorun menu and then start the game from there.

Let me know what you guys thing, and if you have any suggestions, and/or any cool graphic ideas for the CDs let me know.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
Life is Strange

Yetei

I like the cover, but physical, optical, Data - Storage is so 1990...

=P

PotatoeTater

Quote from: Yetei on June 23, 2016, 06:32:05 PM
I like the cover, but physical, optical, Data - Storage is so 1990...

=P

I know, it was more a novelty thing. I have all my old CDs mounted onto a frame and hanging in my living room.
Life is Strange

Listen1

I'd put a muffalo in that

cultist

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

that would make a great addition for if you donate more money to the game
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

RandomAcronym

I feel like it should be on an even more obscure storage medium, like a Zip Disk or MiniDVD.

harpo99999

the most obscure medias that I know of are
1. 3 inch floppy
2 3 & 1/4 inch floppy
3 stringy floppy
4 ls120 floppy
5 zipdisc
6 5 & 1/4 inch floppy
7 8 inch floppy
8 dc60 tape and other similar tapes
9 reel to reel tape
10 cassette tape
11 sparq disc
12 business card cd
13 mini cd/dvd
14 smartmedia memory cards from cameras

and of all these obsolete storage media, the only ones that can store the rimworld game archive (at 100mb approx) are the ls120, zipdisc ,sparq disc, mini cd/dvd, all the others have too small a storage capacity for the game

PotatoeTater

Quote from: harpo99999 on July 03, 2016, 06:03:09 AM
the most obscure medias that I know of are
1. 3 inch floppy
2 3 & 1/4 inch floppy
3 stringy floppy
4 ls120 floppy
5 zipdisc
6 5 & 1/4 inch floppy
7 8 inch floppy
8 dc60 tape and other similar tapes
9 reel to reel tape
10 cassette tape
11 sparq disc
12 business card cd
13 mini cd/dvd
14 smartmedia memory cards from cameras

and of all these obsolete storage media, the only ones that can store the rimworld game archive (at 100mb approx) are the ls120, zipdisc ,sparq disc, mini cd/dvd, all the others have too small a storage capacity for the game

Believe it or not the place I work at we still have clients that pay for business card cds and cassette tapes. We have all the equipment for them and I make a few every week.
Life is Strange

DoctorNick

I'd buy it, but I'm someone who likes physical media and doesn't buy into the idea that it's obsolete.

Call me a tin-foil hat wearing nutter but this idea that "It's just out there somewhere in the cloud, and will always be there forever!" feels . . . overly optimistic to me.
Hi everybody!

cultist

Quote from: DoctorNick on July 06, 2016, 05:43:36 PM
I'd buy it, but I'm someone who likes physical media and doesn't buy into the idea that it's obsolete.

Call me a tin-foil hat wearing nutter but this idea that "It's just out there somewhere in the cloud, and will always be there forever!" feels . . . overly optimistic to me.

Physical media will break down eventually. Digital data is theoretically indestructible, not so much because it can't be deleted, but because it's so easy to replicate that it's incredibly simple to keep multiple identical backups that can spawn more identical copies. It's not so much permanence as it's the option for simple, unlimited replication.

I don't completely disagree though. Tactile media serves a purpose and I don't want it to go away completely.

DariusWolfe

QuotePhysical media will break down eventually.

Have you seen the new thing where they're able to encode data in a block of crystal? It's effectively immortal data, and eventually will be able to store tons of data in a fraction of the space of current optical media.

PotatoeTater

We back up everything we print onto our server, so even though the client only gets his product on a CD, I can always make more if needed.
Life is Strange

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

Quote from: PotatoeTater on July 07, 2016, 02:48:47 PM
We back up everything we print onto our server, so even though the client only gets his product on a CD, I can always make more if needed.
Does that mean i can buy a copy of the disc from you if tynan is ok with it? id let you two set out all the legal stuff
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

jumach

My wife is a graphic designer who does package design and we would both love this! I still have the large format boxes from the 1990s. SO NOSTALGIA! What if there was a box to go with it? Or even a MANUAL! There are few games that deserve a place of honor on a shelf containing the last of the fucking Mohicans, Rimworld definitely does. I would be unable to contain myself if there were a readily available old-school large format box for this game!