I feel this game is trolling me...

Started by Janopolis, August 14, 2016, 06:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janopolis

I'm doing well with my 6 colonists, then suddenly I'm getting 5 incidents per day.  It seems the game is trying to defeat me.  Is this built in?

Why is an Eclipse followed by a Solar Flare, followed by a breakdown, followed by a mental break, followed by a Raid?  All within 3 minutes real time play.  I savescum then I get a mental break, followed by a psychic drone, followed by an eclipse, followed by a fire,  followed by a raid.  All within the same 3 minutes.

Savescum again, I get a mad animal, solar flare, eclipse, flare,  then raid.

There seems to be a pattern here.  Why would I continue to play this game if its sole purpose is to defeat me without any possibility of defending myself?

You've got my money already Tynan.  Please stop trying to make the game impossible to win!

Juan el Demgrafo

What difficulty and storyteller are you playing on? If it's too rough, then step it down a notch. Gone are the days when you could tell your colonists to hide indoors and let your turrets do the work. If you want to survive a raid, your colonists must be the ones to fight. They will get hit; they will get stabbed; they will die. You must learn to command them to minimize this.

Also, it should be noted that some events seem to be predetermined. So if you only got back a few minutes, they're just going to crop back up. Worse, same, or better than before.
240 hours on Steam of this 2017-7-23.

Quote from: Shurp on July 29, 2016, 06:30:22 PM
...tell her to go stand in the corner of her bedroom, and beat her when she tires of it.

I really need to finish researching beer.

ShadowTani

If you're playing Randy then this kinda scenario isn't that uncommon from time to time, same is long periods without anything happening too.

Though honestly, these events you got where low challenge events that passes soon enough, don't give up on them. If they wipe you out it means there's something in your infrastructure that isn't accounted for. And relying entirely on turrets for defense is only going to get you so far, learn to fight strategically, you can beat a group two-three times larger than yours without losses of your own if you know how to dodge inside houses and pop out elsewhere between shots.

As for real game-trying-to-kill-you scenario's: try a chain of toxic fallout, heat wave and solar flare followed by a raid instead. ;P Entirely survive-able without save scumming, though probably not without traumatizing your monitor with a most foul and colorful language, lol.

SpaceDorf

Now that you have the ingame answer.

The true answer is : Yes. Yes the game is truly trolling you :)

Actually so much that someone developed a fix for it and increased the time between Troll and LolLol :
Less Incident Trolling :
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6892.0

P.S.
I don't use it anymore since V14 .. it got to boring  8)

As for this

Quote from: ShadowTani on August 14, 2016, 07:55:37 PM
If you're playing Randy then this kinda scenario isn't that uncommon from time to time, same is long periods without anything happening too.

As for real game-trying-to-kill-you scenario's: try a chain of toxic fallout, heat wave and solar flare followed by a raid instead. ;P Entirely survive-able without save scumming, though probably not without traumatizing your monitor with a most foul and colorful language, lol.

Boooooring ... Try Toxic Fallout during a harsh winter, followed by a Bug Outbreak just after opening a Secret Chamber with Mechanoids ( increased underground to much ^^ )  .. during which a Raid happens.
Followed by a psychic ship right before your entrance ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

pdxsean

Just FYI, you can change the storyteller and difficulty settings while the game is in progress. So reload an older autosave and turn it down a bit, see if that helps.

But yeah, if you're playing on Cassandra then the game is designed to ramp up the frequency and difficulty to try to kill you. Phoebe will lower the frequency of those events, and lowering the difficulty will lower the severity. Well, aside from the mental breakdown - that is the result of past events while playing and don't really have much to do with the storyteller. Randy Random will just provide random events, so won't necessarily give you the four event string (flare, eclipse, equipment breakdown, raid) like you're describing. I'm assuming you must be several years in to be getting a big string of events like this, typically I don't see these kind of chains until like year 5505 or later when I should be well prepared for them.

SpaceDorf

Really ? I always thought with randy it was Tuesday.

Just Normal first year events ..

Pax_Empyrean

Quote from: Janopolis on August 14, 2016, 06:55:17 PMWhy is an Eclipse followed by a Solar Flare, followed by a breakdown, followed by a mental break, followed by a Raid?  All within 3 minutes real time play.
The eclipse and the breakdown are redundant when a Solar Flare is going and the mental break is a mood thing rather than a storyteller event.

So you've basically just got to deal with a solar flare and a raid. Turn down the difficulty if it's too high for you. That's what it's there for.

Kagemusha12

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 14, 2016, 08:02:40 PM

Boooooring ... Try Toxic Fallout during a harsh winter, followed by a Bug Outbreak just after opening a Secret Chamber with Mechanoids ( increased underground to much ^^ )  .. during which a Raid happens.
Followed by a psychic ship right before your entrance ..

Reminds me of my game ...
during the spring a 2 weeks toxic fallout that turned ~60% of the map into a barren wasteland.
Then, in summer and fall, 2 seasons of volcanic winter.
All forcing me to rely on basic indoorsa farming.

And now, in spring of the next year, shortly before I would have been able to bring in the first harvest of my outdoor farms  (after the incidents described above), with most plants being grown 70-90%, I get a blight that  destroys 90% of all plants indoors as well as outdoors.

So, yes, the game has a tendency to troll the player :D

SpaceDorf

*LOL*

You know what ?
Sometimes I imagine Randy doing a Wrestling impression. Huffing and Puffing and Shouting how much he is going to DESTROY!!!! me  :)

Wex

I was trolled by positive events once.
Volcanic winter, crops growing slowly, but I have hydroponics, so it's ok.
Then a marriage, a party, another marriage and guess what, another marriage.
Ended all my food (and I am a hoarder, so it wasn't a "little"), then the colonists went to gather the rice from the hydroponics, blight.
Great, just great.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

AndrewH

I got a Solar Flare followed by a Heat Wave once. That was pretty much the end of that colony, and I still can't think of anything I could have done to ameliorate it.

MikeLemmer

Quote from: AndrewH on August 19, 2016, 12:18:40 AM
I got a Solar Flare followed by a Heat Wave once. That was pretty much the end of that colony, and I still can't think of anything I could have done to ameliorate it.

I think that's why he put the passive cooler in the latest version.

linkfanpc

Try having the game try to kill a colonist via malaria.

In winter. Uh, game? Pretty sure mosquitoes don't come out during the winter. Stop being a jerk.

Oh, ooh! Or maybe another colonist getting malaria, and then the game waits until they're at 99% immunity and THEN kills them!

Oh yeah! And having animals walking in the middle of gunfire, and you tell them to GET THE HECK OUT OF THERE, and they don't obey and just keep walking and die.

Or just downright corrupting your save for no reason.

Oh, and i call this pulling a Project Zomboid, since that was the first game to ever troll me. At first, it was spawning hordes of 5-10 zombies on me. Then, it was doing that along with other nearby hordes of HUNDREDS. Then, making it i don't deal any damage to zombies anymore. Then, just downright corrupting my save file for no reason. Yep.
I was gonna put a smart-guy quote here but i couldn't think of one so here's a stick dude.
\o
|\
/ \

eadras

Quote from: linkfanpc on August 19, 2016, 12:43:18 AM

Oh yeah! And having animals walking in the middle of gunfire, and you tell them to GET THE HECK OUT OF THERE, and they don't obey and just keep walking and die.

I feel so sorry for the animals in this game, they are so dumb and the raiders seem to take great pleasure in maiming and killing them. 

I'm done messing with Randy after my last attempt.  I had 5 colonists, none of whom were any good at shooting, when Randy hit me with a heavy pirate siege, immediately followed by a tribal raid.  Not just your normal early game tribal raid, but a tidal wave of sixteen tribals.  I managed to kite about half of them into the pirates, but the other half downed and kidnapped 2 of my pawns.  I still would have survived, but on his way out, one of the tribals dug into the ancient danger room and unleashed 4 mechs, which gutted him and then marched over to put the nail in my fledgling colony's coffin.  Randy is pure evil.

SpaceDorf