Stylus support, Rimworld and Unity5, I need your help

Started by skullywag, July 01, 2016, 03:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

Hi all.

Ill keep it brief, the update to unity5 has rendered my pen/stylus (surface pro 3) unusable in the new A14 test builds. Onmousedown is not called in unity5 and im hoping they fix it. However in the meantime this has all but killed my ability to mod due to me only having time on my commute and using touch to mod is slow.

Does anyone have any ideas on how i can get around this. Any clever remapping tricks i can use. Im desperate...this could end modding for me, i wont enjoy it if im not productive, plus ive gotten very used to playing the game using a pen and its unnatural to do it any other way now.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Mechanoid Hivemind

The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

skullywag

Simple, Surface Pro 3 Stylus pen touches screen = click (the bit that isnt working) button on side of pen for right click. Mouse cursor just jumps to wherever i touch and also only shows when the pen is near the screen, same as playing with touch. Right clicking with touch is a touch and hold hence the pen is so much nicer. Touch is very playable as well though.

Mechanoid Hivemind

If you dont mind me asking how much was it? And where can i get one?
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

skullywag

I paid upward of 1k for my I7 256gb SSD Surface pro 3, With the pro 4 and surface book out now id guess the 3 has come down in price somewhat. No idea whered you get 1, google?

Admiral Obvious

Have you tried making a VM, and using that?

I'm unsure what your device is capable of, seeing as its supposed to be a tablet (mostly) even though it's a fully functional PC.

It's a weird, and probably resource intense way to go, but it should work (in theory).

skullywag

nope that wont work, the issue is unity5s, im looking for workarounds to simply remap a stylus input to a mouse click or something, even though thats what the built in driver does (im guessing its this thats the issue). It may be that I cannot fix this until unity updates with a fix.

milon

Why did you upgrade unity? Can you not roll it back? If you need the updated unity, can you run 2 versions side by side, like .NET does?

Is there anything that does get called on stylus touch? If so, we can probably help you out with remapping. If not, you'll probably have to bug unity about it.

Haplo

I've heard that the Stylus problem should be fixed in the newer Unity (5.1.1) releases.
But there may be new problems with the touch input..

skullywag

Milon the game has updated to unity 5 i havent. Haplo you have given me hope. Now we have to hope Tynan keeps up to date. However i wouldnt blame him for holding off until both inputs are working.

quicksilver524

Hi, I'm having the same issue, have you come up with a solution, please share with me if you have. I want to use my stylus as well but I can't anymore.

RemingtonRyder

skully, can't be sure but you might be able to get the functionality with an Autohotkey script. Might be able to fool the game into thinking you actually have a mouse connected.

Gadg3t

Have you tried playing with the windows ink settings? Or if possible turning them off?

skullywag

Tried it, I had the windows 10 version before ink and now after none of them have worked and ive messed with it entirely, the issue is in Unity anyway, gotta wait for em to fix it.

quicksilver524

yea no luck here either. Wish it was something I could just rollback a driver for. Very hopeful for a fix though. Strange I can touch the game with my finger and it works but not the stylus. Just another time were some one doesn't test functionality maybe idk.