Is losing colonists common, or do I just suck at the game?

Started by OneRedBlock, February 22, 2014, 12:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rokiyo

Quote from: nnescio on February 23, 2014, 09:14:32 PM
Quote from: dd0029 on February 23, 2014, 02:46:43 PM
Quote from: Timber on February 22, 2014, 10:07:25 PM

-Never place beds next to a wall.

What's this? I always place beds next to walls. Have I been screwing up? ...

It's fine to put beds next to walls. Just don't put them in corners.

Okay... Why not? I haven't had an issue yet.

Edit: Case in point, I haven't had any happiness issues with this layout. I've even checked the thoughts of the people who sleep in those corner beds, and they seem perfectly happy.

I probably still will build them all their own individual rooms, but I'm surprised by how few issues I've had with cramming them into the mess hall like this. They get the -8 for sharing a room, but don't get the -8 for a cramped environment.

Timber

Quote from: Rokiyo on February 24, 2014, 04:54:41 PM

Edit: Case in point, I haven't had any happiness issues with this layout. I've even checked the thoughts of the people who sleep in those corner beds, and they seem perfectly happy.

I probably still will build them all their own individual rooms, but I'm surprised by how few issues I've had with cramming them into the mess hall like this. They get the -8 for sharing a room, but don't get the -8 for a cramped environment.

How is this possible even :O
I ask not for a lighter burden but for broader shoulders. -Atlas

Motorkingpus

Quote from: Timber on February 24, 2014, 08:24:56 PM
Quote from: Rokiyo on February 24, 2014, 04:54:41 PM

How is this possible even :O

It's not. IT'S VOODOO!

Rokiyo

In a fairness, the room sharing penalty probably should stack with the number of people a room is being shared with.

For bonus points, people moving, eating and chatting right next to a sleeping colonist should probably also cause unhappiness for the guy trying to sleep.

On a related note, having prisoners share a cell causes them to have friendly chats with each other, taking some of the load off your wardens.

Timber

Quote from: Rokiyo on February 24, 2014, 09:41:42 PM
In a fairness, the room sharing penalty probably should stack with the number of people a room is being shared with.

For bonus points, people moving, eating and chatting right next to a sleeping colonist should probably also cause unhappiness for the guy trying to sleep.

On a related note, having prisoners share a cell causes them to have friendly chats with each other, taking some of the load off your wardens.

Do they not just get a bed sharing penalty instead? In my case at some point it becomes so hard to get new colonists that I don't mind fleshing out a proper room for them.

dd0029

Quote from: Timber on February 25, 2014, 07:26:35 AM
Do they not just get a bed sharing penalty instead? In my case at some point it becomes so hard to get new colonists that I don't mind fleshing out a proper room for them.

The colonist limit is a storyteller thing. Since Randy is random, you can bypass the colonist limit with random events. Otherwise you are limited to about 11 on Phoebe and maybe 8 on Cleo I think? The wiki has the numbers.

Timber

Quote from: dd0029 on February 25, 2014, 08:21:37 AM
Quote from: Timber on February 25, 2014, 07:26:35 AM

The colonist limit is a storyteller thing. Since Randy is random, you can bypass the colonist limit with random events. Otherwise you are limited to about 11 on Phoebe and maybe 8 on Cleo I think? The wiki has the numbers.

Ooooh that explains a lot. I guess it's time to try Randy :)

harpo99999

as to the storyteller limit, I have frequently had 17 in phebe and have 11 in cleo, but mave not played any of the others yet

dd0029

I'm just going off the wiki notes for each:

Phoebe is listed as:
Quote from: Rimworld Wiki
desiredPopulationMax = 16

And Cleopatra:
Quote from: Rimworld Wiki
desiredPopulationMax = 9

My current Casandra game has 12 at the moment which is 1 over her desired max. So it is possible to go over the threshold, particularly if you continue doggedly at a game where you get yourself into a position where you can only die if you screw up, where I am now. Moleville is ruggedized!