Is losing colonists common, or do I just suck at the game?

Started by OneRedBlock, February 22, 2014, 12:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneRedBlock

I can never make it past a certain point in the game without a colonist saying "screw it" and leaving my colony. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Hieronymous Alloy

Two tricks here.

1) Make sure you've got a food processor built and supplied, so they aren't eating raw food; make sure they all have their own individual bedrooms; make sure you have a central eating area with a table and a plant; make sure your base is well-lit. Later in the game, you will want to also build carpets everywhere.

2) If a colonist freaks out anyway, you can assign one of your other guys to arrest them. Then use the prisoner chat / warden options to make them happy again, just like with anyone else you capture.
My Rimworld guide on steam (updated for A16!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

OneRedBlock

Ah, thanks. My problem was that I tried to save space with shared bedrooms, and the food processor was hard to get to. I fixed both and my colonists are a lot happier.

Timber

Some more tips if you are interested:

-Assign a colonist to cleaning duty as soon as you can spare one (usually you have to force it by disabling other tasks). Clean environment really helps morale.

-Make sure the sleeping rooms are at least 4x5 blocks. Small rooms make them feel "like a rat in the cage". Don't want that.

-Research carpets asap, use them in the sleeping rooms first and foremost.

-Make sure hoppers have the highest priority for storing food so they always store what ever is available.

-Make sure places colonists visit often are well lit.

-Plan your base so that colonist have to visit same place often. When they run in to each othey they will have a social chat which boosts morale.

-Don't neglect taking care of corpses. They destroy morale.

-Never place beds next to a wall.
I ask not for a lighter burden but for broader shoulders. -Atlas

Cyclops

To hell with happiness. Fear is the way to run a proper colony. Gibbet cages and Prisoner executions will keep your colonists doing their work even if they are starving . MWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

dd0029

Quote from: Timber on February 22, 2014, 10:07:25 PM

What's this? I always place beds next to walls. Have I been screwing up?

On the topic of flooring, I believe smooth stone gives the same bonus. I was just checking the wiki and noticed two status effects I haven't seen before "Very pleasant environment" and "Beautiful environment". What do you have to do to get those?

On the topic of chats, put your chairs at tables next to each other. I was putting space between everyone. I made a "mistake" once and did not notice my "cramped" chairs then I saw the speech bubble pop up. Now all my chairs are right next to each other.

Nasikabatrachus

Pictured: the most useful square footage in the colony.

http://puu.sh/77RX6.png

The dense potted plants give a beautiful environment bonus, while the dining area's central location and proximity to the dispenser make it the social hub of the colony. Any colonist who is close to a mental break gets recruited to stand next to the plants and talk to others for a little while. It's immensely helpful.

Anyway, I've never noticed any problem with putting a bed next to a wall. In fact, I typically ignore bedrooms entirely, except to make them clean and functional.

Timber

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on February 23, 2014, 03:21:36 PM
Pictured: the most useful square footage in the colony.

http://puu.sh/77RX6.png

The dense potted plants give a beautiful environment bonus, while the dining area's central location and proximity to the dispenser make it the social hub of the colony. Any colonist who is close to a mental break gets recruited to stand next to the plants and talk to others for a little while. It's immensely helpful.

Anyway, I've never noticed any problem with putting a bed next to a wall. In fact, I typically ignore bedrooms entirely, except to make them clean and functional.
Damn clever layout for the dining area. Do flower pots stack? I didn't know having more of them helped.

Does anyone know if colonists feel better if there is an active lamp in their room when they sleep?
I ask not for a lighter burden but for broader shoulders. -Atlas

Architect

I believe they do, even with their eyes closed, they don't like the dark ;)
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

Nasikabatrachus

Quote from: Architect on February 23, 2014, 05:38:18 PM
I believe they do, even with their eyes closed, they don't like the dark ;)

Check again: the darkness penalty only appears when they're awake.

Quote from: Timber on February 23, 2014, 05:29:56 PM
Damn clever layout for the dining area. Do flower pots stack? I didn't know having more of them helped.

The flower pots themselves don't stack, but their effect certainly does.

Hieronymous Alloy

Yeah, I'm not sure it's really necessary to have big bedrooms so long as they're individualized. The penalty for sharing a bedroom persists at all times; the penalty for being in darkness or being in cramped quarters goes away as soon as you move out of the dark or cramped space -- and I don't think the clock for colonist craziness ticks while they're asleep.

That said I still actually make big (5x6) bedrooms usually but only at a later stage in my fortress. First I just get up a bunch of 2x1 rooms with just enough for a bed, just to get rid of the shared bedroom negative thought.

My Rimworld guide on steam (updated for A16!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

Ozog

Do polished stone floors provide the same happy bonus as carpet?

nnescio

Quote from: dd0029 on February 23, 2014, 02:46:43 PM
Quote from: Timber on February 22, 2014, 10:07:25 PM

What's this? I always place beds next to walls. Have I been screwing up? ...
It's fine to put beds next to walls. Just don't put them in corners.

Quote from: dd0029
On the topic of flooring, I believe smooth stone gives the same bonus. I was just checking the wiki and noticed two status effects I haven't seen before "Very pleasant environment" and "Beautiful environment". What do you have to do to get those?

Environment beauty bonuses stack in a small area. Spam enough flower pots together and you'll get a "Beautiful Environment".

Interestingly, steam geysers also have a sizable beauty bonus, and standing next to one is enough to give a "Beautiful Environment" moodlet, even without other modifiers.

Of course, you have far better things to do with your geysers than turning them into tourist attractions.

Quote from: Ozog on February 23, 2014, 08:45:17 PM
Do polished stone floors provide the same happy bonus as carpet?
Seems so. Looks like the free cost is balanced by the extremely long build time and the requirement for a rough stone floor in the original tile.

Cyclops

Quote from: nnescio on February 23, 2014, 09:14:32 PM
Of course, you have far better things to do with your geysers than turning them into tourist attractions.

Weeeeeeell... The Silver gain and dozens of people coming to your base doesn't sound too bad. Of course, a few might... Occasionally disappear and join the colony completely willingly a few days later.

Turning your colony into a tourist trap destination. Doesn't sound too bad.

dd0029

Quote from: nnescio on February 23, 2014, 09:14:32 PM
It's fine to put beds next to walls. Just don't put them in corners.

Gah! Corners. I need to pay more attention apparently. Granted, I've never had Baby, so I haven't worried about corners.