Trade window can't open after prisoner leaves map

Started by FluffyCat, July 01, 2016, 10:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FluffyCat

version: 0.13.1135 rev816 (Windows)

1. What the circumstances were: attempted trading repeatedly with multiple entities
2. What happened:
-- case 1: visitors from another faction, I sent a colonist to trade, upon reaching the trader no trade window opens and my colonist walks away
-- case 2: combat supplier arrives, I send a colonist to trade, they approach comms console and walk away with no trade window opening. I attempted trading with multiple colonists, and confirmed I'm still able to call other factions. It appears trade windows no longer appear.
3. What you expected to happen: trade windows open
4. Steps we can follow to make the bug appear on our machine:
-- in the attached save game a new combat supplier just arrived. try trading with them and it won't open the trading window.

Checked the output_log.txt and I see references to trades being attempted, but am not familiar enough with the code to identify the bug. Hope this helps. Trading has worked fine for a long time and I'm more than a year into the game.

Possibly related: I recently constructed a second orbital trade beacon next to my comms console. The first trade beacon's stock pile was fully loaded so I wanted to expand the area to store eligible trade goods. Update: I just attempted deconstructing the second trade beacon and trading again which still did not work.

I hope this can be fixed with the current save file as I'm close to finally launching my first ship.

NOTE: I had to zip the save files since they exceeded the 600k file limit.
NOTE 2: The only mod I have enabled is a Colonists bar which shows colonists as a UI at the top of the screen. I tested temporarily disabling this to see if it fixes the bug but it had no effect.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

FluffyCat

2 updates:

• Tried restoring an earlier save file from ~2 hours before and trading still worked fine.
  • Tried restoring an earlier save file from 30 minutes before and trading was already broken, however, the second orbital trade beacon wasn't yet constructed so we can probably rule that out.

I've pretty much stopped my run since my strategy relied on the assumption I'd be able to trade and I built my colony around it. Appreciate if any insight is available that might allow me to trade again without going back several saves.

DariusWolfe

Damn. I was having this error last night, too. I finally said to hell with it on the campaign, and built a spaceship. I thought messing with my mods had broken it. It's working again on a new campaign.

I only had one orbital beacon, total. The only thing I'd done prior to noticing the problem was messing with my mod order to try and fix an unrelated problem.

milon

Bows before FluffyCat and his/her awesome bug-reporting and direction-following prowess.  (I'm serious! You actually followed the directions! I don't know how to react. ;))

I'm on my phone right now, so I can't check your save. But a save consists of both a colony file (.rws) and a world file (.rww). Together it's unlikely be small enough to attach here. If you need to upload elsewhere, try drop box, Google drive, one drive, etc and share the link.  (But I'm just assuming. I could be wrong.)

Also, it would be helpful to have both the before and after saves you mentioned.

FluffyCat

Thanks for the kind words, Milon, and for taking a look at this bug when your time permits. Really appreciate your help. Confirming both .rws and .rww files are saved in the zip attached to the original post. Most likely the save files have a lot of redundant data so the compression is highly efficient.

I just opened my game and tried to open 3-4 prior save periods and run the time on 3x fast forward to get to a trading point, but waiting 5-10 minutes on each save none of them brought a trading event. Is there some secret admin/debugging command I can enter to try triggering a trade event?

In the mean time I attached 'need bionics.zip' which contains a 'need bionics.rws' save file. It's from a few hours before the trading bug appeared so I hope it's a helpful state of the game. I can keep hunting for a pre-case where trading works if it's helpful to resolving the bug. Thanks again.

skullywag

main menu options, enable dev mode, click the list looking item at the top of your screen (dev menu) find one of the options for sending a trade caravan or a trade ship, done. HTH.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

sc4s2cg

Actually came to report this bug, glad to see such a detailed post! I also only have the Colonist Bar mod.

I have the same issue as FluffyCat, along with some stuff that might be a bug (or might not):

• The colony had volcanic winter for around 2 seasons and then all disasters, including raids, just stopped. At least, almost 2 seasons passed since the volcanic winter finally stopped.
  • Following the stoppage of winter, trading stopped as well.
  • At the same time my crops stopped growing, whether indoors or outdoors. They get planted, then the next day a few just disappear. My pets aren't eating the ones indoors, they have plenty of light and warmth, and yet only maybe 10% grow to full.

I attached my output log below. The world and colony are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/augi69icropk062/AAAJN_1O0F87tQEXLLcDhZINa?dl=0

Originally posted this on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/4s2hev/bug_my_colonists_up_and_decided_they_were_not/

Edit: People suggested I take everything out of the cryptosleep pod. After waiting a couple days for a merchant to arrive, trading works like normal again.

FluffyCat

Enabled developer mode per skullywag's suggestion. Opened a debugging window while attempting to trade and captured the specific error. (screenshot attached as NullRef.png -- update: file was too large to attach, so uploaded to imgur @ http://imgur.com/2IHw2og)

The error for reference:

JobDriver threw exception initAction Pawn=Sam, Job=UseCommsConsole A=Thing_CommsConsole208888, Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I tried resolving this by having my colonists deconstruct the comms console and trade beacon, and deleting the underlying stockpile. I then reconstructed everything and confirmed trading is still broken.

TBH sort of lost motivation to play further after getting so far and having the run paralyzed by an inability to trade. I acknowledge this is a risk of playing a prerelease game and am not complaining. I just hope the bug can get fixed before others encounter the same experience.

FluffyCat

Update: following Skullywag's advice I also forced a trade event in the 'need bionics.zip' save instance posted earlier on this thread and confirmed trading still worked fine about an hour earlier. There were no errors when I attempted trading so I don't know what else to report there except that it's an earlier save instance that worked per your request.

Also: I learned that a full stack trace can be seen by clicking on an error in the debug window. Uploaded a full trace of the trading error to imgur: http://imgur.com/gRD6L1D

milon

^ You also get the same info in your debug log.  That's in your RimWorld###Data folder, and it's called output_log.txt.  If you still have it, you could upload it here.

FluffyCat

Thanks, @milon. Confirming output_log.txt is already attached to the original post.

milon

Why yes it is. That was a total derp on my part. :)

(It's also what happens when I browse from my phone and don't try to review the thread before replying to the most recent post.   ::))

Tynan

Looks like this bug and all the info is from Alpha 13.

Is it present in A14? Do you have a savegame or repro steps?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

FluffyCat

@Tynan, confirming this bug occurred in alpha 13.  Per my reply #7 below the bug was sufficiently demotivating for me to stop playing the game several hours into a run.

My original post included all save files requested in addition to the game's logs. A subsequent followup already includes earlier save files from the same world where the bug didn't yet occur (as requested). I've already volunteered a few hours trying to figure this out and capture helpful diagnostic information.

I will not download Alpha 14 with the intention of reproducing this bug which occurred mysteriously several hours into a game. The steps to reproduce (encounter) the bug are outlined in the original post.

If this bug gets archived to eventually ruin subsequent player experiences because it's from alpha 13 and is tricky to intentionally reproduce that would be a shame. I don't know enough about the game's implementation to solve it here, but I suspect sufficient information is contained in this post including all relevant save & log files if someone would take the time to look.

Good luck.

DariusWolfe

I think he's asking because the bug has already been fixed in A14.

I can confirm that I haven't seen it in A14, with or without a colonist/prisoner in a cryptosleep capsule (which was the cause in my A13 game)