PawnKindDef injection is broken for animals in alpha 14

Started by Sakuukuli, July 16, 2016, 05:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sakuukuli

With alpha 14, PawnKindDefs for animals were moved inside their ThingDefs files. Now there are definitions for ThingDef and PawnKindDef for each animal one after other in the same file. Because they have the same defName, though, the injection only translates the fields in the first Def, as that is the first one it finds for both definitions. Now the names of animals that are shown when a pawn is selected are untranslatable.

I know this is all highly technical and many people might not get anything from it, but I didn't want to just send a PM to Tynan in case there are other people thinking about the same problem.

Haplo

I'm not sure your assumption is correct.
Yes, both the PawnKind and the Race are in the ThingDef file. But they are still created as PawnKind and ThingDef. So the translation need to be done in the ThingDef folder AND in the PawnKind folder. Even if technically the PawnKind folder doesn't have it.

Sakuukuli

Yeah, my bad. It would've helped if I had actually read the instructions for making translations, because it says:

QuoteTo do other def types, make other directories under DefLinked named after the type of def you want to modify.
e.g. to modify the FactionDefs, make a folder called FactionDef and put your translations in it.

I just always assumed it was that the folders had to be the same minus the 's', but it's actually completely different.

Haplo

It was like that in earlier alphas, but since.. alpha 12 I think.. some Defs where moved out of their official folder.
Since then it got increasingly harder to find out where your translation has to go.
Hopefully it will be better soon 8)