Rimworld Without a GPU

Started by whiteeric, July 03, 2016, 04:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiteeric

I'm buying a pc soon, though it's missing a graphics card. I plan on buying one after I buy my pc. In the meanwhile I wanted to play some games. Could I run rimworld without a GPU?

harpo99999

as long as the available screen res is 1024 x 768 or HIGHER, yes (it can operate in an intel integrated graphics, and shold have no issues with the amd/ati integrated chips either)

RawCode

without GPU you can't plug monitor at all.

Tagasaki

if you have a mobo that don't come with a display port then yes without GPU you can't see anything.

Jaxxa

Quote from: Tagasaki on July 04, 2016, 12:39:06 AM
if you have a mobo that don't come with a display port then yes without GPU you can't see anything.

GPU (Graphics Processing Unit), includes on board graphics on the motherboard / processor, not just referring to desecrate Graphics Cards.

skullywag

Cmon guys he obviously meant a dedicated gpu and not onboard. Questions been answered, ive run it in an iris5000 integrated gfx before and its fine. I imagine a 4000 series would be fine also.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Calahan

Quote from: skullywag on July 04, 2016, 03:19:40 AM
I imagine a 4000 series would be fine also.
I can confirm that the game runs fine using an Intel HD4000. I've played RimWorld on two separate laptops using it without issue.

mrofa

Rimwolrd will work on integrated ones, i got a old GMA on my mb and rimworld runs on it. Did also play rimworld on i5 with integrated and it worked.
Thing is that rimworld is actually working far better on integraed than gpu`s its especialy visible on largest maps in late game atleast from my experiance.
All i do is clutter all around.

The graphics are not the issue with RimWorld, the integrated Intel GM45 in my laptop is not the issue, the issue is the 1.6GHz/core on the laptop.  A max-size map with a well developed colony starts becoming sluggish.

So, unless you are buying a 10-year old machine, whatever built-in graphics display on the motherboard will be fine.

Quote from: Canute on July 04, 2016, 05:02:57 AM
Rimworld isn't a 3D game which need a good GPU, Rimworld need rather some extra RAM, faster Harddisk/SSD and CPU.

Actually, RimWorld is a 3D game, you only ever have two dimensions presented to you.  The third dimension is very much there and used (layering), however.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.