better fire supression

Started by Simon_The_Space_Engineer, July 07, 2016, 03:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

im glad that we had firefoam poppers added and they seem like they can be very useful (havent needed to use one yet) but the problem i have with them is how it makes my colonist think its ugly... i have also tried to place some in my underground home but i cant do so in a manner thats both resource efficient or covers all the rooms... I have two ideas that could help me keep my colonists from getting smoked out of their home.
1. a smaller fire foam popper that can be put on walls or on the roof so its out of the way (or gives cover for raiders), doesnt cost as many metal to make, and has a smaller spread (makes things far). Kinda like a fire sprinkler except with foam and only covers tiles in a 1 tile radius (squares are easier to use when all your buildings have 90 degree angles like mine :P ). and if you want to even go farther in depth you could add the fire alarms that you pull to set them all off
2. fire extinguishers! you could have them built in cabinets that sit on walls or out in the open sitting in the corner. This would make fire suppression and putting out the fire much faster (cant tell you how many times ive had to wait half the in game day for all the fire to be put out.
3. better fire spread prevention. Itd be great if you colonists didnt put all but one flame out because it was outside of your home zone. Id probably make more sense if the colonists reconized when at least one flame was in the home zone (or near) and treated all flames next to or near by as if they are also in the home zone, instead of having to have the player create then remove home zones over the fire
4. boulders in the way! like what happens in real life where fire fighters will put rocks in the way of the spread of a forest fire or quickly chop down trees and plants, colonist could be able to move boulders or rock rubble in the way of an approaching fire or one that is too big for the colonists to effectively beat out.
5. this is more of a brain fart idea i had but since we have emp grenades and molotov cocktails maybe we can have grenades that put out fire (water grenade or fire foam grenade) but since this could be over powered for both players and raiders, they can only be used a few times (either need to be refilled, rebuilt, or rebought)... why would raiders have this you might ask? it can pose a counter to heat traps (smothering the heater/cooler exhaust and suffocating the part that makes heat or just making the machine short circuit and break). itd also be funny to watch a raider or colonist with a bionic limb have the fire foam/water grenade short out their limb and have then have to try and control it again
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

milon

Another firefoam suggestion, inspired by this Bug thread:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=21805.0

I suggest that firefoam poppers should deploy if they're destroyed.  It makes sense to me that their contents would be released upon destruction.  So, a firefoam popper destroyed by fire would likely put the fire out.

Wex

I usually build at least 2 of them in sensible areas. One could be destroyed and fail to extinguish the fire.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

carbon

#4 Can already be readily accomplished by putting down flooring outside your buildings. A 2-wide flooring pathway greatly limits the spread of fire and doesn't get in your way like boulders would.

If you wanted to be a purist about it, you could also set down a series of long narrow stockpiles for rock chunks and haul nearby rocks.

milon

Quote from: Wex on August 13, 2016, 05:54:36 AM
I usually build at least 2 of them in sensible areas. One could be destroyed and fail to extinguish the fire.

Oh, I hadn't realized that it could fail to trigger.  I misunderstood how they work - my bad.  (I haven't actually had to use them yet!)  ^_^