Remove Name-in-Game content?

Started by DariusWolfe, July 07, 2016, 07:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DariusWolfe

I did a few searches and didn't see anything on this topic.

I think it's cool that backers and higher-tier supporters get their names in the game, don't get me wrong. But I really, really want to remove the content for my own game. I really dislike how often I see the same names over and over again, and I dislike, even more, when playing with Prepare Carefully how many of the backstories include the characters names, especially some of the cooler ones.

So BLUF, what I'd like to do is:

• Remove specific first/last name combinations.
  • Genericize (or failing that, remove) the NiG backstories
  • Expand randomization of first and last names

How possible is this, or does a resource that accomplishes all or most of this already exist?

RawCode

Perfectly possible by usage of hooks.
CCL exists, few mods about backstories exists, just use search on forum.

Fluffy (l2032)

It's entirely possible (however does require a C#/dll mod). To my knowledge nothing that does specifically this exists, but there is a mod that adds more backstories (backstories core? can't remember the name). Dissecting that mod should give you a decent idea of where to go to manipulate the list of ingame backstories.

Be aware that this will require new worlds - loading a save with a deleted backstory will crash the game.

DariusWolfe

Yeah, I found Backstories Core last night and I've been messing around with it. It looks like it might be possible to add Stories easily enough, and it might be possible to make the game ignore Vanilla Backstories in some cases. Names also seen easy to add, but i haven't been able to see how to make it ignore Vanilla names, and it looks like it's always First-Nick-Last combinations, rather than randomized combinations. I also haven't seen a way to make it ignore pre-built pawns.

I'm gonna keep messing with it (right now I've got a way to auto-build Backstories without having to write all the code, just the information you want, then just C-n-P into the file) add it does indeed seem like the best starting point.