Relationships

Started by TronPrime1, February 23, 2014, 03:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TronPrime1

Okay, so while I'm playing Rimworld, I tend to make up stories for people as things happen, as a lot of you probably do (If not, then I know I'm just crazy :P). But what if this was actually implemented? As in: Your warden is probably the most sociable person in the colony, if you recruit a prisoner with the sociable warden using friendly chat, the prisoner becomes emotionally attached to that person, and later on they become friends. If the warden is incapacitated in a firefight, that person would have a slight decrease in loyalty, and a slight increase in depression. If the warden is killed, the person has a major decrease in loyalty, and a major increase in depression. There could even be an event where the person could lock themselves in their room if depression becomes too great.

Being recruited by a warden wouldn't be the only way the person could become friends. Having sociable chats and doing the same job at the same time could increase friendship levels. In order to keep tabs on who's friends and who's not, I propose a new 'Friends" tab next to Character when you click on somebody. There it would show a meter per friend to show the level of friendship. Also, the more sociable the person is, the quicker they gain friends, and the quicker the friendship meter grows.

Thirdly, there could also be a "Lover" section in the Friends tab. After a certain amount of time, if friendship levels increase between opposite genders, they could become lovers. After some more time, they could conjugate and produce a child.

SPECS OF CHILDREN: Children on RimWorld will not be able to be drafted into the military. They can help with tasks such as hauling and growing. They cannot mine, doctor or firefight. Because of futuristic genetic altering, it only takes 3 months before the child becomes old enough to fight (Youngest I've seen in the current build is 16, I'm guessing that's the limit)

SPECS OF PREGNANT WOMEN: Pregnant women in RimWorld will not be able to be drafted into the military. They can do all tasks except Haul, Mine and Firefight. The youngest a pregnant woman can be is 18, the oldest is 60.

Let me give you an example: Andy is a warden, and he successfully recruits Lynx, a captured prisoner, with friendly chat. Andy and Lynx are now friends. Suddenly, raiders attack, and Andy dies. Lynx becomes depressed and locks herself in her room for a set amount of time. After a day or two, she comes out and grabs a bite to eat. Joshua is eating at the same time and they chat. They then go to mine some ore at the same time and chat while doing that. Joshua becomes Lynx's friend. After a week, Joshua and Lynx's friend meter grows until they become lovers. They 'do the business',  and produce a young child named Jon, after time goes by, Jon grows up.

Finally, if close relatives die, depression sets in just like the friend system, however there is a 10% chance that there would be a mental breakdown, and they would have to be captured.

Now, I know this is an incredibly complicated system, and that this in no way is coming soon, however I wanted to share my thoughts that have been swirling around in my head. Also, I'm not guaranteeing this system is perfect from an programming standpoint. There could be complications coding it that I'm not aware of.

TimMartland

I think due to RimWorlds quite slow pace (Games span roughly 1 Year tops for me) a full family system would be unrealistic and not very great gameplay wise. However, friendships, rivalries and dislike or discrimination between characters would be a good system E.g
Geoff has the trait 'Dislikes poor people'
Bill Is a Mediaeval Oaf peasant.
Geoff dislikes Bill from the start.

Other events such as conversations, fights and the like should alter character interactions. Such interactions could be influenced and used, as a hungry colony in fear is more likely to have angry and paranoid colonists than a happy and rich one.
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

TronPrime1

Yeah, It was just something that was going around in my head. Eventually, there could be a solution to reproduction. Cloning? Hypergrowth? I don't know. I do know, however that a friendship system would add a lot of depth to the game.

colonistPally

We have another thread around here somewhere, I linked it at the bottom. It reached a semi-consensus that it'd be vat-related and when a combination of 2 colonists loved each other very very much, they'd go there and get hooked up and it'd produce a youngling that'd get growthed up to 16 years old, or something along those lines.

So maybe it'd take a week to grow, in the vat or something, then viola they go pick it up provided you have a room for it.

Then if it ever died or whatnot, the parents would be distraught. It'd be a hybrid of the two parent's stats. It'd be delayed or cancelled completely if the "storklab" ran out of power... things like that. The two parents would get a special "storkbed" and whatnot. It was kind of tongue in cheek, but serious both at the same time.

I forgot why we stopped talking about it. I think we'd discussed everything there was to..?

Here you go for your convenience. Check it out and see what you think?!

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=1979.0

keylocke

Quote from: colonistPally on February 24, 2014, 03:17:12 PM
We have another thread around here somewhere, I linked it at the bottom. It reached a semi-consensus that it'd be vat-related and when a combination of 2 colonists loved each other very very much, they'd go there and get hooked up and it'd produce a youngling that'd get growthed up to 16 years old, or something along those lines.

So maybe it'd take a week to grow, in the vat or something, then viola they go pick it up provided you have a room for it.

Then if it ever died or whatnot, the parents would be distraught. It'd be a hybrid of the two parent's stats. It'd be delayed or cancelled completely if the "storklab" ran out of power... things like that. The two parents would get a special "storkbed" and whatnot. It was kind of tongue in cheek, but serious both at the same time.

I forgot why we stopped talking about it. I think we'd discussed everything there was to..?

Here you go for your convenience. Check it out and see what you think?!

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=1979.0

thanks for the link. i was just about to suggest the same thing and like wow. nice. i like the consensus reached. awesome.