Serious bug infestation

Started by paxinum, July 02, 2016, 09:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paxinum

So, I had a large colony, really a good thing going on. I read somewhere that one can keep bugs and some hives to produce jelly. So, once an infestation started in an area, I let it be for a while.
Bad choice.

Exponential growth made it really tough to handle, especially since the only way to reach it was a narrow corridor. I tried sending groups of six, with one on grenades, but it hardly made a dent.
Since it was a long corridor  to the main bug chamber, I figured I should be able to freeze them to death so I installed several coolers, and turned it down to -30. Maybe the temperature was not extreme enough but it had no impact (this should be a way to handle bugs, I think). Later, reading the wiki suggests that these buggers are not sensitive to temperature.

As a final ditch effort, I put all animals in a manhunter spree, to make the bugs come out of their chamber. I underestimated them, and got overrun...

Kryc8

Dspendragon

Plasma guns(mod) and heavy weapons, (maybe a few space marines). Should clear your bug problems out.
This is Rimworld people, Where cannibals ware pink helmets and nudest decide to go outside when its -59F, And where shit happens. Its anything but fare or balanced, Lady Luck rolls a 1000-sided dice and 80% of that dice says"Death"on it. Your job is keeping your people alive in bad rolls. Good Luck.

muffins

Wall the area off with stone blocks except one tile, build some wooden walls inside, set alight with molotov cocktails then seal the fire in by completing that one tile. When the temperature gets to around 500C everything inside that chamber will start to spontaneously ignite. Bugs, hives, jelly, everything. Reopen the area once it's fully sanitised.

b0rsuk

You don't even need to seal them in a room. Shoot incendiary cannon. Fire will spread like crazy.

quxzcover

you need to bring the room to negative 70 to kill the bugs. i like to keep the jelly and corpses alive, and not burn them. it also kills the hives though.