Combat realism centipede problem?

Started by Sicdoc, July 09, 2016, 04:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sicdoc

I'm playing modded with combat realism and a few other mods and have a centipede that I have been shooting at with assault rifles and snipers for 2 days (except when my guys are sleeping) and it still has half its life left, although it is blind and deaf.
  Dose anybody have any tips for killing these guys? I normally build round the ship part fill it with wood and then burn them to death but I wanted to see how it would go if I just tried to kill them with guns. I now regret that.

Tagasaki

blind and deaf? sure throw some grenades and molotovs, it won't know what hit it. :3

ArguedPiano

I found with their armor you really need either explosives or charge rifles.
If none are available try crafting a bunch of clubs and equip everyone then go in. The collective hit stun should stop the centipeid from getting a hit off itself.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Lockdown

You need to use ammunition with high armor penetration when dealing with mechanoids. Most firearms have an armor-piercing variant for their caliber.

Nynzal

You dont need high penetration weapons to actually kill one.
Explosive traps hurt them and melee weapons. Just send some colonist to club them down. With no sensors they cant shoot anymore and if you have a couple of melee attackers, they will prevent it from melee attacking.
There is a lot of information in the CR forum thread.
Winter is coming

quxzcover

with robots its less about hitting a vital organ and more about just getting hits. higher fire rate weapons or weapons that hit multiple body parts are best. for this reason NEVER use snipers against centipedes unless you want to take 3 years. i find that my 6 charge rifle people can usually kill about 8 scythers and 8 centipedes in half a day. but grenades and min-guns would work well too. worst case scenario just use a triple rocket launcher. the upside for not burning or exploding them though is that you get the bodies to salvage after.

Barley

Use frag grenades. Frags hit multiple "organs" at once and are thus likely to hit at least one important component every toss, unlike bullets which hurt only one organ at a time. 10 grenades should do it for a scyther at least. But in order to do this you need to get up close and personal, which is why (at least in vinella) the personal shields are so great: A couple guys distract the mechs while the grenadiers stand behind and pop the bot.