no Steam key?...

Started by Des_Mond, July 10, 2016, 01:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Des_Mond

Hey, just bought Rimworld because on steam were no option to do so. Right after i bought it i read that it will not be able to register in steam... -.-

I didn't know that before and bought it to be able to play it on steam. Now what do i do?...

Thx in advance

milon

Wait 5 more days, and keep reading the forums. I don't think you'll be disappointed. ;)

PS - No official source has ever said that it will not be able to register on Steam.

falconbunker

It clearly says on the home page that it will release on steam on the 15th of July, also he has said many, many, MANY times that he will get the steam keys out to everyone, he just can't say it officially because valve has some rule or another that doesn't allow him to promise steam keys after the game went through greenlight

JJATH

Quote from: falconbunker on July 11, 2016, 01:32:35 AM
It clearly says on the home page that it will release on steam on the 15th of July, also he has said many, many, MANY times that he will get the steam keys out to everyone, he just can't say it officially because valve has some rule or another that doesn't allow him to promise steam keys after the game went through greenlight
I hope your right dude.

falconbunker

Tynan has not screwed us over so far, so I am giving him full trust that he will do the right thing, especially because the backlash against him would be IMMENSE if he decided to not give old buyers steam keys when he has said so many times on the forums that he would.

milon

Quote from: JJATH on July 11, 2016, 08:14:42 PM
I hope your right dude.

He is.  ;)

Here's the math:
1. Tynan originally promised Steam keys to everyone
2. Valve specifically contacted Tynan and told him to stop promising keys because Valve doesn't permit key-promising for games that aren't currently on Steam (to prevent abuse)
3. Valve does allow devs to create & distribute an unlimited number of keys for their games that are on Steam
4. Tynan is releasing RimWorld on Steam on July 15
5. Tynan is really really careful to keep his word, which is why he doesn't discuss future features (as he may change his mind and not include something that he "promised")
6. Tynan has never rescinded his promise from #1 above, and never even hinted that his promise has been terminated.

7. I therefore conclude that his promise from #1 still holds, and that on July 15 everyone who has purchased RimWorld will get a Steam key.

(Technically this is all my opinion and not hard fact, but only until the game releases on Steam in 2 days.)

Chibiabos

I must admit I've been giddy-ishly yammering about RimWorld to my friends.  I know what's up, of course, I've been playing since Alpha 7 or so.  But I think I'm not alone as a longer-term Rimworld for player at getting giddy over Alpha 14 and the steam release and blamming about the game to friends whom have never heard it.

Its unfortunately easy to see how this happens, its expected there's probably a "pre-Steam-release" surge thanks to those of us whom have played for awhile and are blamming about the game because we're so excited, but our friends we talk into giving Rimworld a look are predictably confused as to why there are no Steam keys yet and no actual explicit guarantees of getting any.

We (experienced players) know Tynan is reliable, the game is really fun already in A13 and while it has bugs, is solid already, but its understandable folk whom haven't been following Rimworld closely long enough have not had their trust earned and might feel fishy thanks to some other developers whom have screwed over Early Access adopters, pre-orderers and/or Kickstarter-type funders for would-be developers whom turn out to be shammers.

I know we experienced players that have learned to trust Tynan are excited, but I urge some tolerance and caution when it comes to new folks whom have been hyped the A14 steam release.  Yeah the written details are in various places, but as with a lot of projects, a new guy coming in can easily get overwhelmed and not have everything at their fingertips, and Tynan having to obscure Steam access key info for those of us who bought Rimworld outside of steam doesn't help -- absolutely not Tynan's fault of course.  I can understand Valve's point but think there should be a better way to go about protecting themselves from greenlight abuse without forcing devs to stonewall would-be early access customers on the topic.

Maybe someone else can answer me why Valve wouldn't just let people pre-order the early access on Steam so, even before the actual release folk could just buy it (and maybe Tynan could just give them the sendowl access for A13).  That way they can get their cut from Steam orders and effectively customers get the same deal they are currently going to get (but that Tynan can't explicitly promise because of Valve).
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

milon

Quote from: Chibiabos on July 13, 2016, 05:46:13 PM
Maybe someone else can answer me why Valve wouldn't just let people pre-order the early access on Steam so, even before the actual release folk could just buy it (and maybe Tynan could just give them the sendowl access for A13).  That way they can get their cut from Steam orders and effectively customers get the same deal they are currently going to get (but that Tynan can't explicitly promise because of Valve).

My guess that there's too much chance of vaporware being sold & the dev vanishing.  Who would be left holding the bag if that happened?  Valve.  I *think* it's an abuse prevention policy.  (Best guess.  I haven't looked into this at all.)

o6dukeleto

I agree that it makes sense that ludeon would supply a steam key to everyone who has purchased rimworld.  Just the goodwill alone would raise reviews of the game on steam ... and you have to have a steam key to review it.   

An example of this was the game factorio which supplied keys to everyone who had purchased it before it came to steam, factorio quickly became the one of the highest rated games on steam, not only because it was a good game but also because of the goodwill generated by giving owners a key.  Finally, it also had a bunch of experienced players that could review it right away because they had effectively pre-purchased it.   

Vice versa, if ludeon forces people to re-purchase to get a steam key, this could create a lot of ill-will.

Yakeru

Okay... maybe I m dumb but...

1. I succesfully requested an email via the Steam-Key-Tutorial and got an email.

2. When I open the link, I get to my standard sendowl box. I hoped to find a steam key there, but I didnt. What did I do wrong?

Yakeru

Well nevermind, apparently I am dumb as fuck.

In case anyone else is experiencing the same problem: dont forget to login via steam and synchronize your email, before you expect to get the right email.

Chibiabos

Quote from: Yakeru on July 15, 2016, 03:20:33 PM
Well nevermind, apparently I am dumb as fuck.

In case anyone else is experiencing the same problem: dont forget to login via steam and synchronize your email, before you expect to get the right email.

Sorry, Yakeru.  You've served our colony long and well, you've reached amazing levels at some skills, but ... that last raider fight, you were hit in the head and now have dementia.  You're now cripplingly slow, and honestly more of a drain on our colony's resources than a benefit.  I think its time we harvested some of your organs, and ... yeah.  You'll live on that way.  We'll sell off what we can't use, and buy something we need more with the silver we get ... maybe a television, or some beer.

You will be missed.

;-P

(TOTALLY meant as a joke)
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Anylleakage

I FEEL SO DUMB!!!
ok, so i bought the game about a year ago and then the game got released on steam and because this game is amazing i felt that it was worth it if i wasn't going to get a steam key so i bought it again on steam. about 3 hours later i decided to check the forums to see if anything has changed and i guess EVERYONE GETS STEAM KEYS!!!!!!!! BYE RIP