Map never recovers from toxic fallout

Started by Rallonox, June 14, 2016, 05:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rallonox

I've noticed that after toxic fallout, the map never recovers.

I expect slow recovery, but even after years the zone remains barren. Is it suppose to be that way?

There's a band of green at the edge of the map that recovers, but it never spreads inward. (There's a post about how seeds are carried in from other areas, and spread.) It's so bad that once toxic fallout happens I know I'll have to grow any wood I need. Even on tropical maps, that have super growth rates.

milon

That's not the expected behavior.  I had a toxic fallout on a temperate forest, and within a season or two, there was green everywhere.  Yes, there was still some brown, and yes, some plants recovered faster than others, but it wasn't confined to  the edge of the map.

What biome are you playing in?

What mods are you using?

Can you upload a save and/or screenshot?

Can you attach the game's log file?

JimmyAgnt007

I also get this issue. 

Temperate forest with year round growing season.

None other than some tweaks to the antimatter reactors and some events.  (also the number of colonists in the story teller defs)

milon

A basic numerical tweak to some xml Defs shouldn't cause a game-mechanics bug, so I'm going to blame Vanilla for this.  Can you post a log and/or screenshot and/or save file (don't forget - world & colony both please).

Rallonox

I'm afraid I have no screen shots as I go through a lot of saves, worlds, biomes, and mods trying new things. And sadly, while I've had fallout on the current map, it did something a little different. Was very brief. Like two days. (Temperate forest.) The pine and birch trees are still around, but there's no grass or brush, excepting for that edge of the map. It's also only been like a season since it hit, so I'm watching to see if the grass spreads.

But I can say it happens in every single biome, and it happened in both vanilla and with mods. It's the one negative consistent to my playing the game. I always get toxic fallout. Always. (1/15+ colonies without it.) And it always destroys the map, excepting for that band around the edge. 

I now only build enclosed, and grow bamboo because of this.

I'll see if I can replicate it in full and post shots.

The mods I'm running, but I noticed this long before I started playing with mods:

Core
Community Core Library
Community Core Library - Vanilla Tweaks
CorePanda v13.2
Miscellaneous_Core
EdBPrepareCarefully
MapReroll
T-MiscStuff
EdBColonistBar
HaulIT
Miscellaneous_Robots
Miscellaneous_Robots_Xtension
Additional Joy Objects v3.20
ExpandedProsthetics&OrganEngineering
More Furniture
VeinMiner
T-ExpandedCrops
T-MoreFloors
DohEasyAgronomy
LT_ADogSaid
Vegetable Garden v3.6a
EdBModOrder
Heavy defences mod
Anti bug resonator
Ushanka!
T-ExpandedCloth
DermalRegenerator-DermalRegenerator1.5
ED-Embrasures
LDAreaRugs
Glass&Lights
Hospitality
HaulPriorityLiteNoUnforbid
Miscellaneous_Incidents
Miscellaneous_TrainingFacility
WoodFloorBeauty

ArguedPiano

You're having a problem with the Vegetable Garden mod I believe. I found a post mentioning this exact problem not only with Toxic Fallout but with Fire or even too many Animals eating too much stuff too fast.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Rallonox

Considering the map does grow back after fire, and I've had this issue while running no mods.. it can't be the mod. (Maybe the mob contributes?)  I've been monitoring things. Getting growth after fire. Used the Crash Landing mod, which pretty much destroys the whole map, and that returns just fine. Beavers come through? Things return just fine. Flashfire burns everything? Things return. Toxic Fallout for two days? (I've had it for three seasons once.) Nothing returns excepting on the outer edge.

The only issue I have is toxic fallout. When I start a new map I'll see about the veg mod.

milon

Could someone provide a save from a vanilla game?  Even if you dev-mode it, it would be helpful to see a working repro of this issue.

skullywag

Ive seen this every alpha, its very much dependant on the map layout, but there does seem to be a cutoff point as to how far grass and that can recover inland.

Ive often wondered what would happen if you made grass not die but be chomped/killed back to 1% growth, would this be OP, would it break the need to grow hay for animals etc...
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Juan el Demgrafo

The trees usually survive well, it's thrumbos that kill them. Although there are walls blocking the grass from getting to the interior of the map, it still seems that they stop growing before that point.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbwqcuuu0qflnx7/Ungrowing%20Grass%20Colony.png?dl=0
240 hours on Steam of this 2017-7-23.

Quote from: Shurp on July 29, 2016, 06:30:22 PM
...tell her to go stand in the corner of her bedroom, and beat her when she tires of it.

I really need to finish researching beer.

Mihsan

This feature/bug is my №1 source of frustration in RimWorld. One moment you have this beautiful and diversified landscape. Next moment your map will look just like surface of Mars. Always and forever. Nothing you can do to prevent or repair this. Looks ugly also.

For me it just brakes that "narative coherence" thing because I stop believing in what I see on my screen and start asking questions like:
- Why plants are comming from the map's edge? All plants are dead in my area but one tile away there is untouched green heaven?
- Why plants are not spreading at the center of the map? IRL some seeds could travel thousands of kilometers with wind...
- Why ALL plants on the map could be killed? All the roots and seeds... sounds kind of impossible.
- Why I can plant whole map with teak or devilstrand, but I can not throw some seeds of native plants so they could take over and regrow those dead pastures?

So it is gamebreaking moment for me.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Xav

Quote from: Mihsan on June 25, 2016, 10:10:36 AM
This feature/bug is my №1 source of frustration in RimWorld. One moment you have this beautiful and diversified landscape. Next moment your map will look just like surface of Mars. Always and forever. Nothing you can do to prevent or repair this. Looks ugly also.

For me it just brakes that "narative coherence" thing because I stop believing in what I see on my screen and start asking questions like:
- Why plants are comming from the map's edge? All plants are dead in my area but one tile away there is untouched green heaven?
- Why plants are not spreading at the center of the map? IRL some seeds could travel thousands of kilometers with wind...
- Why ALL plants on the map could be killed? All the roots and seeds... sounds kind of impossible.
- Why I can plant whole map with teak or devilstrand, but I can not throw some seeds of native plants so they could take over and regrow those dead pastures?

So it is gamebreaking moment for me.

Was pondering this as well.  ...the idea of seeds.  I think the colonist should be able to, instead of only harvesting a plant for food, be able to also harvest a plant for seeds and then the colony could then be able to sow this type of plant.  Seeds could be bought from farmer traders as well, who would after trading if fixed, show up seasonally during spring/summer.  Could make the ice sheets a bit more challenging as well.

dismar

There was a bug in Vegetable Garden v3.6a that slowly killed all your grass it was addressed in the 3.6b version of the mod. It however did not affect other plant life returning after fallout :)