Make unwanted wanderers and recruits leave with visitors/trade caravan

Started by b0rsuk, July 11, 2016, 01:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

There are situations when an awful colonist joins as a wanderer. Or a colonist who sounds reasonable seeks protection from another faction, but when you accept you learn he's frail, has scars, dementia, won't haul, abrasive etc.

Player wants to get rid of such a colonist. But there's no humane option. All that is left is creepy tricks, starving him to death, locking in a freezer etc.

I think recruitment process should be reworked. Some sort of intermediate status "guest", they get food and can leave on their own will. And if you have no intention of recruiting him ("friendly chat" but not "chat and recruit") he would leave with the next visitors or trade caravan. If this is implemented, escape pod people would no longer need to be captured. It would be an elegant method of disposing of bad recruits, after sorting out details and expanding guest AI a bit.

falconbunker

Also it'd be a good way to not feel like a jackass after saving a escape pod person

skullywag

Make them a world pawn when doing so and they can come back in a future tradegroup or in a raid and get revenge for ousting them.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

b0rsuk

Quote from: skullywag on July 11, 2016, 03:32:34 AM
Make them a world pawn when doing so and they can come back in a future tradegroup or in a raid and get revenge for ousting them.
Out of curiosity, do you remember the names of visitors you had, people you rescued or released ? I usually don't and I would appreciate a pop-up message.

Elixiar

Id like to be able to send colonists to other factions to improve relations and know that there is a way for them to exit the game world in a nice, un-painful way.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

ArguedPiano

One tactic I have used is wait for a slave merchant to come around, arrest said Colonist, then sell them for a profit.
At least that way you get something for your effort.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

keylocke

the "sell them as slaves", "turn them into lunch", "send them to hug a bear", etc.. causes mood penalties, especially if they are relatives or a spouse/fiance/friend of one of your stable colonist.

mood penalties from these are often long and it stacks, leading to a ragequit spiral of your colonists.

i think what this thread suggests is to have an alternate option to evict unwanted colonists without mood penalties, similar to releasing prisoners.

Wex

Quote from: skullywag on July 11, 2016, 03:32:34 AM
They do it already.
I saved a spacer because it ws the uncle of one of my colonists. He was one of the worst pawn I've ever seen. So I let him merrily go away from the colony.
Years later, checking the social tab, I have seen the spacer no longer a spacer, he joined an outland faction.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

b0rsuk

Quote from: keylocke on July 11, 2016, 06:59:20 AM
i think what this thread suggests is to have an alternate option to evict unwanted colonists without mood penalties, similar to releasing prisoners.
My proposal is as much about avoiding the mood penalty as about flavor and giving humanitarian players an option. And note that this would remove the need for "capturing" escape pod people, which currently feels artificial. And if you "rescue" them, they will leave as soon as they can walk which feels wrong in a hostile world. Look how much trouble an organized colony has to keep going, and that guy is going to be on his own now ? And my current colony is on ice sheet where bears are so hungry colonists have to mine at night, and they killed more raiders than I did. Wanderers can make it to my colony, but escape pod people get eaten unless they crash at night.

CortexVortex08

I believe you can just arrest them, and then release them? Or am I missing something here?

DariusWolfe

If you arrest one of your own colonists and release them, they're still your colonist.

b0rsuk

And sometimes people resist arrest and you have to fight them. I'm not sure when that occurs.