Colonist bar in A14!

Started by BlackSmokeDMax, July 11, 2016, 10:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSmokeDMax

So, how awesome is it that the colonist bar, and what looks like a form of Pawn State Icons, is in the new Alpha. Very nice!

Numar

Yup, that's a great point, but it's a little sad that Tynan didn't use the scenario system to integrate "Prepare carefully" (fully customized starting pawns) as well. Still random generation with a little more influence, although vague.

NemesisN

Quote from: Numar on July 11, 2016, 11:33:54 AM
Yup, that's a great point, but it's a little sad that Tynan didn't use the scenario system to integrate "Prepare carefully" (fully customized starting pawns) as well. Still random generation with a little more influence, although vague.

yup he could have used Prepare carefully mod on this one....but still RimWorld is in Alpha stage we might see this in future
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

BlackSmokeDMax

I personally don't use Prepare Carefully, so it doesn't sadden me to much, but it wouldn't be terrible to see it in there for people who do use it.

Guess it's possible that the Prepare Carefully premise just doesn't fit into Tynan's vision for the game, so it may never make it out of mod-only status. I can certainly see how it does fit better now with the scenario system being implemented. Who knows, maybe this is just something he is still considering/pondering. Once he was to put something like that in, it would be a LOT more bitching if it later was removed. Best to avoid that if possible.

Numar

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on July 11, 2016, 12:08:09 PMGuess it's possible that the Prepare Carefully premise just doesn't fit into Tynan's vision for the game, so it may never make it out of mod-only status. I can certainly see how it does fit better now with the scenario system being implemented. Who knows, maybe this is just something he is still considering/pondering. Once he was to put something like that in, it would be a LOT more bitching if it later was removed. Best to avoid that if possible.

Well, the thing is, it's already implemented, kind of. The difference is clicking 50 times on randomize or having complete control, making things faster. At least in my case, I want to play with familiar character with certain abilities, not complete strangers every time. Adding a plus/minus control for the stats and style options certainly wouldn't change the character of Rimworld and for me, that would be enough, as you already have control over naming. As I already said, you already have influence over your characters, but thanks to the randomness it's unnecessary time consuming.

BlackSmokeDMax

Sure, i get you point. I'm just saying if being able to exactly pick your colonist doesn't fit his vision for the game, it may stay as just a mod-only choice. But it's not like that mod is going away, I don't think he'd ever try to block that mod if it doesn't match his vision.

On another issue: I see in Quill's 2nd A14 video it appears there is a drop button in the gear window. Excellent, a little less right-clicking is always welcome!

quxzcover

i like to make colonys of at least 40-100. i would HATE a colony bar. i would perfer prepare carefully and squads/ control groups that you can hotkey. also to be able to copy and paste bills.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: quxzcover on July 11, 2016, 06:07:06 PM
i like to make colonys of at least 40-100. i would HATE a colony bar. i would perfer prepare carefully and squads/ control groups that you can hotkey. also to be able to copy and paste bills.

I believe the patch notes state that you can turn off the included colonist bar.

Nynzal

There is a big difference between clicking 50 times to get a somewhat good colonist and just creating very good one with 3.
I think the point is to make good colonists rare and valuable.
If its important to you to have a specific pawn, you'll go for as many clicks as you need. But if you don't you'll end up with worse raw stats and this is a big part of your colony and pawns living their hard life. There is no essence behind easy available super-pawns. And were is the challenge if you have a pawn perfectly suited for every job from the start?
To prevent misunderstanding, I'm not hating on Prepare Carefully - I have much respect for all the modders and their awesome work - I'm just stating possible reasons for Tynan not to implement it into the base game.
Winter is coming

Nynzal

The one thing you cant do with the base game in a14 is to choose the stats/appearance of your pawns ...
Adjust the items in all the way you like
Winter is coming

keylocke

yea, i like prep carefully mod just for the ease of character creation.

i generally like changing the appearance of my pawns to reflect their traits/stats, and that's a huge hail mary when pressing randomize.

personally there's no real reason why people would hate using edb prep carefully, since it won't affect players who prefers randomized options. (the randomize button is NEVER removed in edb) <--- it's still there so there's nothing to complain about.

meanwhile, it gives the players tons of options to fully customize their character. (for the people who actually wants that option) <--- yes, surprise. there are actually people like us who wants that option.

quxzcover