No more friendly fire while hunting in A14?

Started by Chibiabos, July 11, 2016, 08:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chibiabos

From changelog:
"Projectiles fired by hunting colonists no longer intercept random targets."

Does this mean you'll no longer hit friendlies or other targets while hunting?
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

mew_the_pinkmin

Probably much lower chance(like the pawns taking their time to aim rather than firing rapidly in a raid). will need to test with minigun.
NoBadOrganThoughts        BigBatteries        PlantSaver

Elixiar

"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Calahan

Quote from: Elixiar on July 12, 2016, 10:40:05 AM
Where is the change log?
It's probably not the full change log, but the A14 changes are summerised in Tynan's most recent blog post.

https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/07/alpha-14-preview/

•Projectiles fired by hunting colonists no longer intercept random targets.

DariusWolfe

It definitely doesn't seem to apply to raiders. Did ya'll see the video he did? Massive raid came in and the rear echelon firers massacred their front-lines.

hwfanatic

Yeah, but you are likely to micro-manage the fight, as opposed to hunters and haulers, which is when most accidents happen. In fact, pawns are magically drawn to the same area where hunting takes place. Almost as if it was programmed that way (I know it wasn't).

Chibiabos

Now that I have it, some interesting observations thus far:

You will STILL damage your walls, but NOT crops.  One of my hunters started shooting at a tortoise ... start of game and he's passionate, but low shooting skill ... so almost nothing was hitting the actual tortoise.  The wall I had built was shot to hell, but unlike A13 and previous, my crops were not taking damage from the stray bullets (the tortoise was sleeping in my crops immediately adjacent to a wall I had constructed).

Chibiabos

Another hunt, this one not in my farm area, and my sloppy shooter missed several times.  This caused damage to a tree (not one of my own farm) ... so wild trees can take damage from stray hunting shots, but not farm crops.

jtekh

For some reason I thought this change meant that other colonists don't get hit by stray bullets because they are retarded to walk in the firing line. But no, my hunter just shot another colonist in the gut while hunting... sigh. This was in alpha 15.

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: jtekh on August 29, 2016, 06:59:07 AM
For some reason I thought this change meant that other colonists don't get hit by stray bullets because they are retarded to walk in the firing line. But no, my hunter just shot another colonist in the gut while hunting... sigh. This was in alpha 15.

It's just a reduced chance now, not a non-risk. Hopefully it will never be changed to no risk.

jtekh

Quote from: Andy_Dandy on August 29, 2016, 07:18:57 AM

It's just a reduced chance now, not a non-risk. Hopefully it will never be changed to no risk.
Gotcha. Yeah and I agree, making it completely no risk would work against that "generating stories" thing (i.e. hunting accident) but hopefully something could be done with the AI in the future. This is just a pet peeve of mine, can completely live with it but autonomous hunting is just as scary as a nasty raid. ;D Maybe I just do it wrong, though...

giannikampa

In my experience with A14 i had no incidents with hunting except:
- when i sent one carring a minigun...
- when i manually ordered to hunt the animal
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Franklin

Quote from: jtekh on August 29, 2016, 08:10:39 AM
Quote from: Andy_Dandy on August 29, 2016, 07:18:57 AM

Gotcha. Yeah and I agree, making it completely no risk would work against that "generating stories" thing (i.e. hunting accident) but hopefully something could be done with the AI in the future. This is just a pet peeve of mine, can completely live with it but autonomous hunting is just as scary as a nasty raid. ;D Maybe I just do it wrong, though...
Maybe it should've been better clarified in the patch notes, but it does say friendly fire was reduced by 60%. It just doesn't clarify if this extends to hunting, shooting crops, etc. So perhaps you're just seeing the residual impact of this friendly fire reduction.

ThiIsMe007

Quote from: Andy_Dandy on August 29, 2016, 07:18:57 AMIt's just a reduced chance now, not a non-risk. Hopefully it will never be changed to no risk.

I hope it will be completely removed, since friendly-fire in Rimworld is about as silly as it can get :

- watch your expert hunters, skill level 10+, wasting in-game hours missing shots at a sleeping rabbit two tiles away from them (I know about cover, trees, size, etc., thank you)
- watch your newbie hunters, skill level <=2, shooting previous expert hunters right in the head, killing them on the spot (brain shot), while hunting another animal not even remotely close-by
- watch raiders throwing grenades at themselves, and stupidly die
- watch raiders killing more raiders (with their mini-guns, incendiary launchers, grenades, sniper rifles) than my own colonists

So fun this is not.

The day that Rimworld has proper combat mechanics worth their salt, we can discuss about friendly fire again. Till then, it remains cause for a good chuckle, till you get bored of such a stupid feature and reload.

NolanSyKinsley

There is a little bit of misinformation about the hunting. You CAN still hit targets if you miss and the bullet lands in the same square as them(walls/plants/constructions/etc are not considered "targets") You just cannot hit anyone between the person firing and where the bullet lands. This greatly reduces the instances of friendly fire during hunting, but it still is very possible if the stray bullet lands in(not passes through) the same tile as your pawn or animal. If you have a really low level hunter, their bullets can stray a LOT, and one can land in the same tile as one of your other pawns easily.

This does not apply to fighting, this is just for hunting. Friendly fire during fighting is reduced in A15, but can still happen if the bullet path goes through the tile your pawn is in.

As for the hunters firing on sleeping rabbits at night, just don't have your hunters hunt at night. Small size + laying down + low light = infinitesimal chance to hit, even at execution range.