Developing multiplayer mod.

Started by Naeem, July 14, 2016, 03:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naeem

Hey guys. This one is for the advance person, is it possible[It has to be] develop a multiplayer mod? It doesn't have to be internet wide but as a LAN type of multiplayer. Can this be done? Will the creator think of doing this in the future?

My personal opinion if it can be done and or if the developer doesn't have the time to do this we should band together our best programmers ect ect and make one.

Jaxxa

I would say that practically it is not possible.

Now yes theoretically anything is possible but I see no practical way for Rimworld to be modded to have multiplayer, being Multiple Players controlling pawns on the same map.

No much more possible (still very difficult) would be some forms of asynchronous multiplayer. Maybe allowing different colonies to trade with each other, or a Game master type mode where another player could trigger events on your friends colony.

If you Really wanted to multiplayer, you would probably be better to develop a new game from the ground up for multiplayer, while taking inspiration from Rimworld. You would start really small with a prototype and build it up from there, but I think you are talking about the level of work for a new game.

RawCode

Kay, let's imagine that i decided to post MP mod, what that mod should actually do?

ah, "conditions"
1) I have no free hardware to host your async games, don't ask about "rimtravian" or "rimsimsuniverse", it wont happen without dedicated hardware.
2) I have no free hardware to provide you ANY KIND of additional services, like NAT punching, lobby or anything else.
I wont ever tell you what is your IP and what ports are forwarded(opened) since it's not possible without using of external hardware.

discuss.

keylocke

i think OP was asking if it's possible for a LAN mp though. maybe something that can be run through hamachi or something. so probably one of the player is gonna host the game.

Naeem

Quote from: Jaxxa on July 14, 2016, 08:15:41 AM
I would say that practically it is not possible.

Now yes theoretically anything is possible but I see no practical way for Rimworld to be modded to have multiplayer, being Multiple Players controlling pawns on the same map.

No much more possible (still very difficult) would be some forms of asynchronous multiplayer. Maybe allowing different colonies to trade with each other, or a Game master type mode where another player could trigger events on your friends colony.

If you Really wanted to multiplayer, you would probably be better to develop a new game from the ground up for multiplayer, while taking inspiration from Rimworld. You would start really small with a prototype and build it up from there, but I think you are talking about the level of work for a new game.
We where able to send a man to the moon... But we cant make a multiplayer mod... Sad face :(

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

the only way i see it working in a slightly practical way would be having multiple players control the same colony. maybe players could divide colonist between eachother and be in charge of doing certain tasks (bill is in charge of the colonist that build and mine while mary takes care of the ones that cook, clean and farm and mack is in charge of crafting and defending/hunting). of course the players would have to do this because the game wont and it could just end up with 3 or 4 micro colonys in each corner fighting eachother or just working together only when needed. and if this happens someone is bound to just take all the colonist for themselves since they arent restricted to others and destroy everything that isnt theirs
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

Lascer

I don't know code at all, but it doesn't seem like it should be entirely impossible to set up this sort of thing based on other games with a multiplayer LAN setup. I seem to recall it being mentioned as impossible before though, so... *shrug* What would the issue be, in laymen's terms, keeping one from altering the game to run two independent colonies on one big map (other than the issue of hosting it, since LAN assumes one computer would physically host the game, or the specs such a computer would require).

I will say it would add a whole new level to the game, very possibly taking it out of it's niche market. Single player only really hurts a game these days.

Shinthoras0815

I really like the idea of Simon
I think too, the only way for a good multiplayer in Rimworld is a Coop
where 2 Player or more share a Colony
and survive together the raids and events

RawCode

QuoteSingle player only really hurts a game these days.
Fallout
Skyrim
Morrowind
Gothic
Risen
Prison architect
Age of decadence
Dwarf fortress

Listen1

Something that could be done... With alot of work too. You have 2+ players running the game on their respective computers, on the same map, same scenario, and same events (even character) with a time recorder on top.

This time recorder would gather the statistics of the colonies and they would be sent to the other player, and the events/everything would happen at the same time on both colonys (And always would be rounded up, so the player that takes a lead in the wealth/economy will receive bigger raids, the other player would also receive bigger raids because of the wealth of lead player.).

Something like that should be possible to program, the connection can happen with steam cloud or hamachi for the DRM-Free. Working with just a commum information instead of 2 players being able to interact on the same map would make things easier and would suffice as a multiplayer, at least for me.

Chat should also be a good one.
- Oh man, look at that boars. There are just over 200. How the f*** are we gonna do it.
- LOL, I have a heat trap, gg wp.
- Danm, gg wp.

Andy_Dandy

My vision of multiplayer for Rimworld is the possibility for 2-4 players to play simultaneously on 2-4 different maps linked together at certain points on each of the maps. After some travel time between these maps you would be able to visit those other colonies for exploration, trade, raids and war.

Each player could freely choose their map conditions. Starting in a harsh Icesheet map? You might get a harder start, but those others players wanting to raid you better bring some good clothing.

Timitson

I had an idea for a multiplayer. The host just plays rimworld normally but another player can join as one of the colonists. So they play it more as an RPG and the host gives them orders and commands.

Jestaqwky

Quote from: Lascer on July 14, 2016, 11:50:46 PM
I don't know code at all, but it doesn't seem like it should be entirely impossible to set up this sort of thing based on other games with a multiplayer LAN setup. I seem to recall it being mentioned as impossible before though, so... *shrug* What would the issue be, in laymen's terms, keeping one from altering the game to run two independent colonies on one big map (other than the issue of hosting it, since LAN assumes one computer would physically host the game, or the specs such a computer would require).

I will say it would add a whole new level to the game, very possibly taking it out of it's niche market. Single player only really hurts a game these days.

I don't agree. There are several great games that would be ruined by the addition of multiplayer. Rimworld feels like it would be one of those that were ruined by anything more than small player interation. Such as sending excess colonists to raid others that may be on your same seed. Or sending trade caravans or requesting back up. But even that wouldn't really make the game different.

RemingtonRyder

Here's what would happen in RimWorld multiplayer:

1. You all set up your bases and try to grow enough food to live on.
2. Player A runs out of food and decides to steal food from Player B.
3. Player B is annoyed that Player A stole their food and decides to blow up their generators.
4. Player A has no power and has to steal steel and components from Player C to rebuild.
5. Player C is annoyed that Player A stole their steel and components, and decides to kidnap one of their colonists.
6. Player A is furious that Player C has kidnapped a colonist, and launches a raid to rescue said colonist.
7. Player C is furious that Player A attacked them, launches a counterstrike which kills all of Player A's colonists, butchers them into human meat, cooks the meat, eats it.
8. Mechanoids land, everyone dies. ;)

MarcTheMerc

One of my issues with it is every update breaks mods as an alpha game which update fairly regularly by the time the mods functional the next versions out and has already broken it. Furthermore it could take years to develop such a mod maybe something some modding god could develope but only after development has stopped.
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs