Colonist reactions to violence and scary things

Started by newcadence, July 14, 2016, 11:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newcadence

In Rimworld, colonists are a bit too fearless in the face of danger. If their voice from above tells them to run at the guy with the assault rifle, they'll do it. This isn't very good for a game about storytelling.

I reckon there could be temporary health and mood effects of being in danger.
For example, a colonist could experience fight or flight, loss of reasoning skills which could lead to mental breaks, adrenaline rushes to increase speed and strength while straining the body.

Perhaps if you play like me and hunker down until the siegers who are shelling you run out of ammo, your colonists would have a constant mood down because of the looming threat of having an artillery shell full of napalm land on you or your loved ones. Afterwards your colonists may have mood debuffs like "being shaken" after experiencing shelling for a while.

Or even more exciting, imagine if your miner Richie was off to mine that steel vein when really he should be drafted inside because of the pack of manhunter wargs that just spawned. If Richie lost a leg to a warg before nailing it in the head with a pickaxe and scrambling inside, I think Richie would have a pretty big fear of dogs, or animals in general.

Now, peg-legged Richie is still useful for his level 16 mining, so you send him to dig out your brand new dining hall chiseled in the mountain for your 40 colonists. But because of a lack of foresight on your part, you forget to leave pillars of rock to serve as supports, and Richie is pulverized by solid mountain falling on him. What does Matilda, Richie's wife think? Would she ever step foot into a home carved into a mountain, for fear losing a limb or worse to an avalanche of rocks?

ya dats all

Aquired traits based on gameplay experience would be an interesting mechanic.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.