[MOD] (Alpha 2) Blacksmith's Workplace (Superseded)

Started by Haplo, February 26, 2014, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haplo

Blacksmith's Workplace

This mod is superseded by my new mod 'Workplaces'!

Description:
Here is a small mod that adds a complimentary workshop to the new stonecutter's table.
As the stonecutters table gives you the ability to make stone blocks out of rock debris, the blacksmith's workplace gives you the ability to smelt the slag debris to extract a bit of metal from it.
This mod is made to give you a plausible addition to the stonecutters table. One, which uses the as of yet unused slag debris as a resource.

Mod Team:

Download:

Screens:

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Notes:
This mod is only a small testing mod from me as I'm no modder. So, if you want to use and expand on it, feel free to do as you see fit.
If you have time, leave me a small notice so I can take a look into what wonders you created with it..  ;)

Changelog:
I've added two additional (eXtended) variants of this mod:

The Blacksmith's Workplace X (Version 1.1)
This version adds a new resource and extends the process:
You smelt the metal slag to Metal Bars and, in a second step, the Metal Bars to Metal.
The Blacksmith's Workplace X+ (Version 1.2)
This version is the same as the X version, but gives you additionally the possibility to smelt your not needed weapons to Metal Bars (and these further to Metal).

I did my best to balance these properly, so they fit seemlesly into the base game.
If you think there should be something corrected, please don't hesitate to tell me.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Evul

CharlieC

TimMartland

I downloaded, installed and checked it in the mods list but no blacksmiths workplace appears as a buildable.
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

Haplo

Normally it should be there to be found under Furniture.
A new table at the far right of the menu..

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

HawkWinters

Yay! The only logical path to take after the stone development.

I'm looking forward to the wood one next!
I fully support the wholesale slaughter of everyone, everywhere, by everyone else. 
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Woyzeck

For those more inclined towards realism this might be nice to alter the whole metal economy from using raw metal to including "processed metals". I.e. a chain of slag -> metal -> processed metals -> structures.

Armored, bullet-proof structures would be nice in the future as well, for setting up defenses. At least, so long as the work and material investment was such that they were kept high-value enough to call for well-planned usage.

Being able to convert slag is also nice for playing without using traders, as I often do; shades of the early iron age, when iron was processed out of meteoric ore.

Haplo

Hmm, interesting idea..

I could change the actual process a bit, to produce a 'raw metal' block from the slag.
And afterwards you can do a second bill to process the 'raw metal' to normal 'metal' and there you'll have your process.

It would be the normal "smelting" process as a first step and the "smithing" process to get to usable metal for your normal operations as a second step.

Maybe, if I have a bit time, I'll take a look into it over the weekend.  :)

For the extensions you mentioned, that should be done in a separat mod, as I want this mod to change the original gameplay as little as possible, as I mostly like to play a game as the creator intentioned it.

Haplo

Added variant X and X+ to the start post.

Psyckosama

How about adding the option to smelt unwanted weapons down as well?

Give us something useful to do with the loads and loads of vender junk we get later in the game.

Haplo

I'm not sure, if I understood you correctly:
You'd like to have the ability to smelt down your late game surplus weapons?
In this case please try the X+ variant.  :)
Here you have three more recipes to smelt down weapons. (But you need a minimum level in crafting to do this..)

Psyckosama

I've been playing with this mod and have made a modded version of the mod in order to help teach myself how to mod. I'd like to ask permission to share it.

Architect

I can't wait until mods start getting cross compatibility :D
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

Haplo

Quote from: Psyckosama on March 01, 2014, 05:42:32 PM
I've been playing with this mod and have made a modded version of the mod in order to help teach myself how to mod. I'd like to ask permission to share it.

Feel free to share your version.
Personally I like to see what you've done with my base. :D

Thoranius

Odd, I cannot seem to get any of the versions of the mod to work, I've tried them all individually. I also removed any other mods, to see if it's a conflict issue, and tried with a new game instead of save, but still no sign of the blacksmith's table on the furniture menu. Any advice?

Edit :  My apologies, I had a senior moment during the unzipping phase. I'm so used to having to extract to a new directory to avoid cluttering existing directories, I didn't realize this one had all the appropriate folder structures in place. This is functioning perfectly now, and I intend to give it a good run-through today. However, I do wish to suggest a couple potential changes to it, if you are inclined to hear them.

Perhaps it should be changed to a smelter and furnace station, since that would normally be used extracting the usable metal from slag metal. In that case, you would want about a 2:1 ratio of stone blocks to regular metal for the creation process. You may also want to switch it to requiring power to run, I'd say probably in the 1250 to 2000 range.

But in it's current form, it is still an excellent mod, and I'm glad that I have a chance to experiment with it today.  Thank you for sharing your mod with us, and again I apologize for my initial installation confusion.