[1.0]Toxic Fallout Protection Suit[V1.9.3]

Started by Chaia, July 15, 2016, 06:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How long do your colonists wear the toxic fallout protection suit?

Always, without dropping it even for in-base works
5 (26.3%)
Most time, with dropping it for time critical tasks
0 (0%)
Some time, only wearing it for outside works
12 (63.2%)
Never, because you forget about it / it's not that useful to you / you don't spend that much time outside
2 (10.5%)
Other (add a comment)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: July 24, 2016, 03:15:47 AM

g8406119

Might as well pitch in.
Aside from full hazmat suit and, hopefully, toxin meds, why not add a filter and/or gas masks, along with making dusters and parkas give some degree of protection? I mean, it covers you like some plague doctor.
So it kinda goes like this:

• makeshift mask - cheap and craftable with some researching
  • military gas mask - military helmet of filters: heavy, you can't see much from it, breathing suddenly became much harder, but rather sturdy and has good filtering
  • filter mask - kevlar helmet of filters: covers the face, light, no vision or breathing penalty and can still help you survive a bullet or two, but the filtering is bit worse
Worn under the helmet or cowboy hat for added badassery. Maybe a modicum of protection too.
Finally, dusters, parkas, power armor and everything that covers you but doesn't directly touch your skin can provide some protection.
A !!fun!! thing to do would be changing the flow of toxin buildup: as opposed to simply slowing down the whole thing, just let it reach certain point like "initial" or "minor", then slow down the progression.

This way suits become more valuable as they prevent the toxin buildup altogether.
Last logical step would be either introduction of military suits with less movement penalty and better protection, or changing power armor to give that sweet protection against the everpresent toxic environment.

Lastly, meds are hard enough to come by as it is.
It's only fair to make cheap anti-toxin from the healplant, or whatever it's called.
Regular would then be made from plant(s)+meds.
Naturally, with a purchase-only glitterworld-tier to top it off.

Chaia

Quote from: g8406119 on July 18, 2016, 04:29:38 PM
Might as well pitch in.
Aside from full hazmat suit and, hopefully, toxin meds, why not add a filter and/or gas masks, along with making dusters and parkas give some degree of protection? I mean, it covers you like some plague doctor.
So it kinda goes like this:

• makeshift mask - cheap and craftable with some researching
  • military gas mask - military helmet of filters: heavy, you can't see much from it, breathing suddenly became much harder, but rather sturdy and has good filtering
  • filter mask - kevlar helmet of filters: covers the face, light, no vision or breathing penalty and can still help you survive a bullet or two, but the filtering is bit worse
Worn under the helmet or cowboy hat for added badassery. Maybe a modicum of protection too.
Finally, dusters, parkas, power armor and everything that covers you but doesn't directly touch your skin can provide some protection.
A !!fun!! thing to do would be changing the flow of toxin buildup: as opposed to simply slowing down the whole thing, just let it reach certain point like "initial" or "minor", then slow down the progression.

This way suits become more valuable as they prevent the toxin buildup altogether.
Last logical step would be either introduction of military suits with less movement penalty and better protection, or changing power armor to give that sweet protection against the everpresent toxic environment.

Lastly, meds are hard enough to come by as it is.
It's only fair to make cheap anti-toxin from the healplant, or whatever it's called.
Regular would then be made from plant(s)+meds.
Naturally, with a purchase-only glitterworld-tier to top it off.

If you take a sneak peek into the source, you can see I'm currently working out some toxin reducing medicine ;-)

Adding toxin protection with varying factor to all the vanilla stuff would be easy and fast, but breaking compability with anything that mods the vanilla clothing. I could merge that with the Power Armor AddOn to allow people easily regain compability.

About allowing the different apparel pieces to get the toxin to a certain level: Would be possible like a function for max toxin = toxin buildup. !BUT! that will mean as long as you are wearing some parka or duster, toxic buildup will never kill you, as it only kills you when toxic buildup reachs 100%. That no 'fun' ;-)

edit: I'm stoopid, if the buildup just slows down, it will reach 100% sooner or later. But still I don't think I'll add that, it will probably very 'fun', but not intuitive nor straight-forward. If your suit allows you to build up toxins at all, it won't stop them at a certain level. It's more like a leaking water tank, if there is a hole, the tank will eventually run dry.
Your option for toxic buildup is more set up like temperature, where a parka stops you from going 'very cold', so your body stays at 'cold'. But that ain't how it works. :D

Also other wearable protection stuff is in planning, the time-consuming part will be the artwork

g8406119

Quote from: Chaia on July 19, 2016, 01:19:51 AM
that will mean as long as you are wearing some parka or duster, toxic buildup will never kill you, as it only kills you when toxic buildup reachs 100%. That no 'fun' ;-)

Your option for toxic buildup is more set up like temperature, where a parka stops you from going 'very cold', so your body stays at 'cold'. But that ain't how it works. :D
How to read something and completely miss the point. Vol.29
The system I propose lets the toxin buildup reach certain level at full speed, then, after that threshold is passed, progression slows down, but not significantly. Not without filter mask at least.
Translation: you still get sick, but getting even sicker will be much slower.

If your suit allows you to build up toxins at all, it won't stop them at a certain level. It's more like a leaking water tank, if there is a hole, the tank will eventually run dry.
That's the whole point. You need the hazmat suit to stay outside indefinitely. That's what make it so valuable, especially for farmers or repairmen who are constantly exposed to poisonous environment and will succumb to it if the protection isn't 100%.

drakulux

Hey guys, I added a small aim penalty to the hazmat helmet to represent the glass distorting your view abit. I also dont want my colonists to be wear it all the time so giving small but balanced drawbacks to prolonged use of the suit. I would also really have loved a storage dedicated to the suit where you can R-click and deposit the full set. I know there was a mod that used clutter furniture as a storage for more than 1 item at a time but I would need to look around to see try and find it. Storage were dedicated to different kinds of apparel, it was part of the mod variety pack.

Chaia

Quote from: g8406119 on July 19, 2016, 05:09:01 AM
that will mean as long as you are wearing some parka or duster, toxic buildup will never kill you, as it only kills you when toxic buildup reachs 100%. That no 'fun' ;-)

How to read something and completely miss the point. Vol.29
The system I propose lets the toxin buildup reach certain level at full speed, then, after that threshold is passed, progression slows down, but not significantly. Not without filter mask at least.
Translation: you still get sick, but getting even sicker will be much slower.

If your suit allows you to build up toxins at all, it won't stop them at a certain level. It's more like a leaking water tank, if there is a hole, the tank will eventually run dry.
That's the whole point. You need the hazmat suit to stay outside indefinitely. That's what make it so valuable, especially for farmers or repairmen who are constantly exposed to poisonous environment and will succumb to it if the protection isn't 100%.

I get your point. Making the toxin suit absolutly needed, at least if you are outside for longer time. But how would you explain ingame that the toxic builds up normal until a certain amount is reached (which depends on your protection ratio) and then slows down. It would make more sense to just allow parts of the toxin particels go through your clothings.
But I agree with you so far that making the toxin suit mandatory for outside trips, that would increase the difficulty quite a bit, without making toxic fallout game breaking, at least with the suit.
To achieve that I would rather increase the amount of toxic buildup and decrease the time between the ticks. So you get sick faster and more steadily.
The harder, the more 'fun' you get out of it. I will probably add a mod option (you can only make option for dll-mods :-/), which allows you to choose the difficulty of toxic fallout. Because not everyone playing rimworld is a real dwarf.

Quote from: drakulux on July 19, 2016, 06:21:21 AM
Hey guys, I added a small aim penalty to the hazmat helmet to represent the glass distorting your view abit. I also dont want my colonists to be wear it all the time so giving small but balanced drawbacks to prolonged use of the suit. I would also really have loved a storage dedicated to the suit where you can R-click and deposit the full set. I know there was a mod that used clutter furniture as a storage for more than 1 item at a time but I would need to look around to see try and find it. Storage were dedicated to different kinds of apparel, it was part of the mod variety pack.

Making a suit storage sounds like an awesome idea, but as that is a completly different thing to mod, I would like some help or advice for that. How high did you set the aim penalty? I'm also thinking about giving a mood penalty for wearing the suit. If you wear it too long, it gets worse.

@everyone:
Please fill out the Poll! That will help me finding out the sweet spot for balancing

edit: The next version of the suit will get rebalanced stats:

helmet: no social impact anymore, but aiming penalty.
jacket: less impact on movespeed and work speed
pants: less impact on movespeed

all three parts: wearing it will reduce the pawns max. temperature by 5°C each piece.

123nick

hey, i assume the power armor, although it has toxic protection ,isnt as good as the suit?

drakulux

Quote from: Chaia on July 19, 2016, 06:28:31 AM

Making a suit storage sounds like an awesome idea, but as that is a completely different thing to mod, I would like some help or advice for that. How high did you set the aim penalty? I'm also thinking about giving a mood penalty for wearing the suit. If you wear it too long, it gets worse.

all three parts: wearing it will reduce the pawns max. temperature by 5°C each piece.

I would suggest you look at the Clutter mod by mrofa here https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17610.0

He is the one who has the storage that even allows color change. You may find how he creates his storage and simply make one for the suit, I will also be looking into this as well,so will update u if I find anything too.
I gave a aimpenalty offset of -0.05, its not much but can always go to -0.1 if I feel it needs more balance
So far I have  balanced my suit as such, all have heat penalties -5, helmet has shooting penalty , jacket has work speed penalty , pants has move penalty. 

Edit: For the mood penalty I suggest looking at the nudity trait that gives u constricting clothing feeling, I also  think a mood penalty is necessary. You get hot feeling from the suit, constricting clothing would be good as well, not sure which other, clostophobia?smelly?

Chaia

Quote from: 123nick on July 19, 2016, 06:58:26 AM
hey, i assume the power armor, although it has toxic protection ,isnt as good as the suit?

Depends on how you define "good". The suit gives you 100% toxin protection, kinda big debuff and almost no combat defences.
The PA gives you 55% toxin protection, just a little debuff, and good combat defences

Quote from: drakulux on July 19, 2016, 07:04:16 AM
Quote from: Chaia on July 19, 2016, 06:28:31 AM

Making a suit storage sounds like an awesome idea, but as that is a completely different thing to mod, I would like some help or advice for that. How high did you set the aim penalty? I'm also thinking about giving a mood penalty for wearing the suit. If you wear it too long, it gets worse.

I would suggest you look at the Clutter mod by mrofa here https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17610.0

He is the one who has the storage that even allows color change. You may find how he creates his storage and simply make one for the suit, I will also be looking into this as well,so will update u if I find anything too.
I gave a aimpenalty offset of -0.05, its not much but can always go to -0.1 if I feel it needs more balance
So far I have  balanced my suit as such, all have heat penalties -5, helmet has shooting penalty , jacket has work speed penalty , pants has move penalty. 

Edit: For the mood penalty I suggest looking at the nudity trait that gives u constricting clothing feeling, I also  think a mood penalty is necessary. You get hot feeling from the suit, constricting clothing would be good as well, not sure which other, clostophobia?smelly?

I will put that suit storage on my list. Also my suit debuffs are changed as mentioned in the last edit :P

drakulux

I downloaded the update but havent looked at the values yet. I left a tiny social debuf to social to simulate not seeing the vace and not being able to conversate properly with the suit but i dont mind it without. I will try running the game with clutter and see if the furniture works.

I am thinking up to write a mod request for gear storage that has a nice rclick menu where u can drop individual items from ur gear but also u can drop all apparel too. Right now we can only drop weapons in storage on rclick.
This mod could even go as far as simulating traits when wearing for too long e. G.  Abrasive. 

I look forward to the update of the mod with medications and possibly an improved suit. I would also like abit of a nicer texture and will try to do something and will share it.

Edit: I have tried to run clutter on A14 but it crashes the game and doesnt load up, so will either need to test on A13 or wait for update

Chaia

Quote from: drakulux on July 19, 2016, 08:19:10 AM
I downloaded the update but havent looked at the values yet. I left a tiny social debuf to social to simulate not seeing the vace and not being able to conversate properly with the suit but i dont mind it without. I will try running the game with clutter and see if the furniture works.

I am thinking up to write a mod request for gear storage that has a nice rclick menu where u can drop individual items from ur gear but also u can drop all apparel too. Right now we can only drop weapons in storage on rclick.
This mod could even go as far as simulating traits when wearing for too long e. G.  Abrasive. 

I look forward to the update of the mod with medications and possibly an improved suit. I would also like abit of a nicer texture and will try to do something and will share it.

Edit: I have tried to run clutter on A14 but it crashes the game and doesnt load up, so will either need to test on A13 or wait for update

Do you know if the author of clutter-mod is still active?

I just want to let you guys know, that ToxAway is going along well and release will be ready a few days after the poll is completed, so I know which way to balance all the stuff!

Did anyone encounter any serious bugs or has more ideas for balancing? (This includes the fallout event too)
The Suit itself got a change for its stats for the next release already

current plans:
-ToxAway
-Two difficulties for toxic fallout, toggleable per mod option in the main menue
-probably making all vanilla apparel pieces toxin resistant (to a little certain degree)

drakulux

The author mod has updated the mod, i believe he also shares his source files on his github as well. I have tested and used his storage locker, it allows u to switch between 2 sets of apparel, e. G.  U can wear the suit and when u come to use it it switches to ur previous clothing set, so its nice. U can incorporate the mechanics and make a special suit holder that works only for the suit. If you want u can invorporate a battery simmulation on the suit where when power =0 then u get reduced prorection/move speed/workspeed etc. This is just me floating ideas. But right now it is nice that i can switch right into the full suit with clutter furniture.

Chaia

Quote from: drakulux on July 21, 2016, 07:05:12 PM
The author mod has updated the mod, i believe he also shares his source files on his github as well. I have tested and used his storage locker, it allows u to switch between 2 sets of apparel, e. G.  U can wear the suit and when u come to use it it switches to ur previous clothing set, so its nice. U can incorporate the mechanics and make a special suit holder that works only for the suit. If you want u can invorporate a battery simmulation on the suit where when power =0 then u get reduced prorection/move speed/workspeed etc. This is just me floating ideas. But right now it is nice that i can switch right into the full suit with clutter furniture.

If storing and equipping the suit is possible with so little effort, I guess I don't need to add that into my mod. But I will try that on my own and add a link into this thread, so people know about it!
Thanks so far for your work :-)

Chaia

Okay boys, 1.3 it out!

Added makeshift ToxAway: You can "cook" it with herbal medicine and silver. Reduces the toxic buildup by 25% (of maximum value), but gives food poisoning as side effect. Use that, if you really need to go outside. The texture is also very makeshift and I would like it if somebody could make me a better one :-)

Also changed toxic fallout to tick 10x faster but only with 10% power, that should make it more steadily.

Added a difficulty modifier for toxic buildup, check the first post for a description how to do it.

And you should check out the clutter mod, that one gives a locker which can store a complete outfit and allows you to switch with only two clicks!

As always, leave comments for balancing, bugs and anything else!

Since 1.3 I will also put this on steam workshop!

skullywag

Chaia you should join me and the other modders on the modders slack. You do good work. Throw me a pm with your email if you want in.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Chaia

Quote from: skullywag on July 26, 2016, 10:22:46 AM
Chaia you should join me and the other modders on the modders slack. You do good work. Throw me a pm with your email if you want in.

Modders what?

Sure, count me in :P