Arcade vibe - the FTL theory - Opinion

Started by wbonxx, July 15, 2016, 08:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbonxx

Amazing that the steam release is so close, I wanted to spend few words about something I have in mind since a while.

After playing the standard rimworld scenario (crashed pods) the tribe scenario and bullshitting with the editor, I had the feeling all of them could be connected together.

What I always loved about video games and what i think still creates a log of drag, is the feeling of playing following structured rules and against a common objective. What is called "play against the computer" or "arcade playing", were video games can be seen as a competition an you have to unlock contents and be proud of being doing better then others.

I thought that there could be in the main menu something like "NEW GAME" on the top of "Play custom scenario".
New game could have at the beginning only a NORMAL difficulty level... with permadeath always on. Normal mode is the normal rimworld, with a  defined target, like send 3 rockets to space and game is over.
This unlocks level HARD, that could be the tribe mode. Also here permamode is on all the time. Tribe mode is by default a bit harder, you need more experience and balance were to spend research, is a new experience perfect after finishing the normal mode.
Finishing the Hard mode unlocks the insane scenario. That would be only one man without technology. With some back story. Almost impossible to beat but would give players a never ending mode, where you have to survive the starting winter in a cave in a mountain cooking meat over a fire ;)

All the experiences would provide a different vibe, would be sequential and avoid confusion.
They could all be connected by  a common story...

The game has a lot of replayability, is beautiful to die just to have the chance to design a new colony from scratch.
I think for a new comer having too many options and scenarios is only confusing and is hard to figure out what one likes the most to play.

Ending the game lowers a lot the replayability, is more boring to play again, this is more true if you start with tribes.
People have more fun to perma-die and having to retry without reaching the end.
Tribe mode makes more sense after the standard game, because it some how adds content, but the other way around things don't work.

Difficulty could be tuned by choosing the location spot, some are way harder.
My suggestion would be to randomize it and skip completely the world generation in the "arcade" "Start new game" mode.
Then the starting conditions could be balanced, with finding better objects in tundra starting spots and less objects in easier starting spots.

Sorry if I used too many words, I truly believe it is critical the way the game gets presented and in my opinion this could make the new players life easier and the game lasting longer.

ascdren

I disagree entirely with everything you have said here.
the 'you can't play game mode X because you haven't played game mode Y yet' model of games is one I hate with a passion, some people do not have the time to slug through one mode just to unlock the one they want, it is overly restrictive.

though I do admit that being hit with too many options first time you play can be daunting, for this a 'recommended' starting mode could be displayed.

wbonxx

There would be still the option with custom scenario, where eventually you can start with the tribe, rich man, or classic.
My opinion was about a structured new game where a new player can start with normal, get hard unlocked and so on.
Kind of something that everyone plays in the same way, then you can ask your virtual neighbour what is his score at level hard, etc..

I'm with ascdren on this.  Arbitrary barriers are arbitrary and not fun.  Besides, all I would do is make a mod it remove the barrier.

Further e-penis comparing is just that.  I don't care about "gamer scores" or stupid "achievements."  They don't make a game fun.  They don't make a game interesting.  All they do is encourage developers to make crappy games with artificial "awards" that only appeal to the simple minded.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.