Who should I notify (spam) about Alpha 2?

Started by Tynan, February 26, 2014, 11:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

So it's important to get the word out about the game. Alpha 1 release went well, but I was told I was pretty much releasing it in secret. As in,

*psst*! Hey guys.... I've got this secret game release!

So anyway, this time I'd like to get the word out. I'll be posting on a few forums. My question here is, which game sites should I notify about this? And is there anywhere besides reddit and the Dwarf Fortress forums where I should definitely get the word out?

I'm hoping to see the community start to take off within a few months. Since modding is in with Alpha 2, this is theoretically where it should start sustainable growth, with that virtuous players->modders->mods->players cycle.

Anyway, let me know any thoughts on publicity.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Semmy

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Astraeus

Honestly, I feel like the DF management niche has been on the rise lately. I'd hit up any community that plays that sort of game.

Personally, I came from Gnomoria and I find this game to be very, very similar. I think a lot of those guys would be interested in this. There's also Prison Architect which has a somewhat similar feel. I think any kind of DF community site would go without saying.

Finally, if you could convince someone at Rock Paper Shotgun to take a look at your latest alpha, I think they'd write favorably about the game. That one is obviously a lot more risky because it's a rather popular gaming website, but they are usually very favorable toward indies and early access/betas.

Rokiyo

Youtube is a pretty big one for me: I found out about this game by watching a Let's Play on the GamersDissent channel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvd5AKSoxNg).

I imagine he'll cover Alpha 2 whether you ask him to or not, but it may still be worth reaching out to Youtubers in general if you're wanting a bit more attention.

TronPrime1

Maybe get in touch with EnterElysium? He's the YouTuber who got me here in the very first place.

Tynan

Thanks everyone; I've made some contacts so far. Keep the ideas coming.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

CharlieC

Tynan, why not send a gratis free copy to all the magazines? (paper based) I know some of the UK ones such as PC gamer love a new indie game - they done a massive review of Prison Architect with a front cover recently.

Semmy

Quote from: CharlieC on February 26, 2014, 12:00:15 PM
Tynan, why not send a gratis free copy to all the magazines? (paper based) I know some of the UK ones such as PC gamer love a new indie game - they done a massive review of Prison Architect with a front cover recently.

Changed gratis to free (-;

Might help most people to understand it.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Architect

I believe YOGSCAST Sips is rather fond of prison architect, as is Sjin, and this game is very similar in some aspects. I don't know how much success you would have in contacting them, but it could be worth a shot.
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

Nasikabatrachus

Scott Manley introduced me to RimWorld; showing off this kind of game is his bread and butter, so he'll want to know.

http://www.youtube.com/user/szyzyg

OobleckTheGreen

Thinking a bit outside the box here, but here goes:

I co-own a company that does apparel merchandising. We offer an on-demand merchandise store (primarily) to bands and artists. We put their graphics on clothing and then put the clothing up for sale. They profit from this, obviously.

If you had graphics you felt were ready for apparel printing -- even just a logo -- then I could probably convince my partners to showcase a gaming company in our normal line-up of bands. We could even do an interview with you and post that on our page, with links leading to your store, obviously. Doing something like this COULD kill 2 birds with one stone -- get some exposure from a completely new source audience + put some merch up for sale (can be integrated with your site & FB).

Anyway, it's out of the box, I know, but if it's something you think could be good for your company, PM me and I'll give you my email, phone number, and website info (this is not an advertising post :) )

keylocke

i found out about rimworld from a unity game dev post on facebook (*rolls eyes* hahaha.. fb).
anyways, to add to my shame, i also found out about this game-type by playing gnomoria that i bought on a steam sale (*rolls eyes* again. sorry for being ignorant of the awesomeness that is dwarf fortress) though i've played enough 4X games and base building games to know i enjoy the genre.

but yea, like the other posters said. i think posting on forums of games that are similar to yours (ie: gnomoria, space base df-9, craft the world, castle story, maia, etc), and maybe even to survival-type game forums (ie : don't starve, terraria, starbound, minecraft). could get some attention. i think people who played those types of games can probably enjoy rimworld as well. since survival is pretty much integral to the gameplay.

colonistPally

I learn pretty much everything I know through
Gamasutra, Kotaku, and Gameinformer.com

Kotaku is especially friendly to KS both pre and post launch. I owe must of what I know to those guys since it's f-ing impossible to find any decent games on KS if they aren't on the top few pages at any given time.  >:(

GriffenDorf

Amazon.com, Gamersgate, Steam, Desura, Indiedb, Walmart, Gamestop, Gamespot, IGN, etc

bigwolf2101

i wood go for gameinformer like a previse poster said that or pc gamer

ps sorry bad spelling no spell check on the 360