XML Auto-Documentation

Started by milon, July 15, 2016, 02:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morgrav

Thank you Kavern and Bucket,  I'll try to build my new folder tonight with the information you provided.  I will let you know how it goes.

milon

Master Bucketsmith

kaptain_kavern

Falc

Minor nitpick: your 15b version still says 'for RimWorld 0.14.1249' at the top.

milon

LOL, whoops!  :)

Thanks for pointing that out.  I'll fix it for 15c (https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/08/alpha15c-in-testing-on-unstable-branch/).

Also, how is the formatting, accessibility, etc?

And FYI, Dropbox will soon (October 3, 2016) disable their HTML rendering for shared files.  Which means you'll have to download the file rather than just view it online.  So keep an eye on this thread / my signature to be aware of updates!.

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

milon

BaconBits

Thanks for creating and maintaining this. It really helps to have reference material.

milon

Onion

I'd like to add my thanks too for you creating and hosting this milon, I really appreciate it.  As a beginning modder, XML was very confusing at first - the only way to know what was possible was to scan through every core def and to look at other people's mods.  Now all I need is your auto-document and ctrl+f to see what's possible.  I don't think even the best tutorial could teach me as much as exploring your XML document has.  I really can't stress enough that this is a HUGE resource for beginning XML modders.  Thanks again for your work!

By the way, the formatting and accessibility seem perfectly fine to me.  However I've never even used a HTML document before (is that the right term?) so you should probably take my opinion with a grain of salt  ;D

Deimos Rast

why did I not find this earlier >:(
Anyway, thanks!
#StopPluginAbuse

milon

You're both very welcome!

I've been MIA lately due to IRL craziness (ongoing, hopefully done soon), but I'll still maintain this and I'll pop in now and then as time permits.  Thanks for the feedback!

Dingo

We should make a community effort to add descriptions to any XML def/tag/operator somewhere. Kind of a huge project but would really simplify making mods.

For example, if you could just look at a reference recipeDef which tells you EVERYTHING you can add or change about it, which defs are required and which are optional etc.

kaptain_kavern

I started something like this some times ago...
But was alone working on it and the A15 happened so fast ...

https://github.com/RimWorldMod/RimworldModdingFiles/blob/master/Defs/RecipeDefs/Recipes_Empty.xml

I choose Github because code can be commented and it has a wiki feature in it but I will participate to project like that on any platform or with any tools  ;)

On a similar theme I also have started spreadsheets with extracted values from XML files : https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25433.0