Self-medical treatment

Started by NWCtim, July 15, 2016, 03:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWCtim

This feels like this is something that should always have been possible, but the solo start scenario really turns it into a problem.

Colonists should be able to give medical treatment to themselves.  Unless you are incapacitated or less than 6 years old, you don't need help putting on a bandage or taking medication.  Granted, more advanced treatment or wound wrapping might be more difficult, and obviously you can't really perform complex surgery on yourself, but bandaging wounds and taking medication shouldn't require help.

Wex

Wait untill you have to put a band aid on your back... :D
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

b0rsuk

Quote from: Wex on July 15, 2016, 05:00:19 PM
Wait untill you have to put a band aid on your back... :D

Maybe not your back, but there's a documented case of a doctor operating his own appendix:
http://www.southpolestation.com/trivia/igy1/appendix.html

SpaceDorf

What about pain-management ?

There are some scars that can not be removed and give a constant mood debuff for pain. ( Unless Mod )

I think the Pawns should be allowed to consume meds to gain a painkiller buff to counter this.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Jurgio

Kagemusha12

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 21, 2016, 03:17:03 PM

I think the Pawns should be allowed to consume meds to gain a painkiller buff to counter this.

Of course this also gives way to another suggestion:
Painkiller addiction

It can be a really bad thing ... ask Dr. House :D

Viewer

Bumping this to add my agreement to this suggestion - simply searching for "medical" gives a number of threads like this (and I was actually going to create one myself until I thought of this).

To add on to this, I think that the different medical kits should also include some kind of pain medication - pain has been a constant companion through human history, as has ways to lessen it. Herbal medication could have the shortest lasting and least addictive quality (here, chew on this healleaf for a bit), regular medical kits could have the equivalent of aspirin or ibuprofen (take two of these and call me in the morning), and Glitterworld kits could have high-quality and highly addictive pain relievers (more morphine, yum yum).

I think adding a "Hypochondriac" trait would be an interesting challenge, as well - whenever the affected pawn has a mental break, they can potentially take to a medical bed or their own (or just lie on the ground if it comes to it) and demand medical treatment, even if they are perfectly healthy, wasting medical kits (just like food or drug binges are now).

jmababa

viewer just use medical compilation has pain medication already like anistetics remove scars and must have high enough skill to operate on ones self I think its 11+ and must rehearsed hospital bed cause you can't do it outside hospital bed

Arctic_fox

Quote from: Viewer on October 04, 2016, 10:04:14 PM
Bumping this to add my agreement to this suggestion - simply searching for "medical" gives a number of threads like this (and I was actually going to create one myself until I thought of this).

To add on to this, I think that the different medical kits should also include some kind of pain medication - pain has been a constant companion through human history, as has ways to lessen it. Herbal medication could have the shortest lasting and least addictive quality (here, chew on this healleaf for a bit), regular medical kits could have the equivalent of aspirin or ibuprofen (take two of these and call me in the morning), and Glitterworld kits could have high-quality and highly addictive pain relievers (more morphine, yum yum).

I think adding a "Hypochondriac" trait would be an interesting challenge, as well - whenever the affected pawn has a mental break, they can potentially take to a medical bed or their own (or just lie on the ground if it comes to it) and demand medical treatment, even if they are perfectly healthy, wasting medical kits (just like food or drug binges are now).

problem is with that kind of pawn id arrange.for him to have a......tragic.....accident involving a 4x4 room and 16 coolers turned to max.....with the heat side facing inwards, or ask him to go tame a megaspider while wearing a suit made of meat and insect jelly.

meds are very very valuable and if this was a trait then it should have a massive -social impact on a rimworld, i know if i was stranded on a desert island with limited resources and some dumbass kept demanding i use my limited meds on him or stole them i would despise his ass and maybe arrange his accident as soon as he was no longer critical to survival.

it would also need a huge positive to offset it, perhaps when he does doctoring he has a -25% infection chance or a 50%+ speed on cleaning or maybe a -20% chance to food posioning afterall medkits are expensive and if you lack them can and sometimes always cause death so it needs as big a tradeoff as it takes.

Viewer

Good. Let him have that "accident" and then deal with the negative mood as a result. Plus, you're one potentially productive member down.

There doesn't need to be a positive to offset this, just like there isn't a positive for pyromania, psychic sensitivity, or ugliness.

Insert dealwithit.jpg here.

O Negative

Quote from: Viewer on October 05, 2016, 11:00:21 PM
There doesn't need to be a positive to offset this, just like there isn't a positive for pyromania, psychic sensitivity, or ugliness.

I agree with this 100%. Some traits are just inherently bad to have. Being a hypochondriac is purely bad, because you waste so much of yours and others' time thinking you have something you don't, or just being afraid of getting something you have little to no chance of getting.

I think Munchausen Syndrome would be an interesting psychological disorder to add. The work required:gameplay enjoyment ratio just doesn't fit, I don't think. lol

BetaSpectre

Honestly, I think this should have been in the game since the start, with debuffs in effectiveness, and increased time of treatment.

If I am shot, I won't just lay there bleeding out. I'll try to stem the bleeding. Unless I get knocked out.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

O Negative

Quote from: BetaSpectre on October 06, 2016, 03:37:16 AM
Honestly, I think this should have been in the game since the start, with debuffs in effectiveness, and increased time of treatment.

If I am shot, I won't just lay there bleeding out. I'll try to stem the bleeding. Unless I get knocked out.

I feel the same way. It's a bit ridiculous that a pawn can't bandage their own [light] wounds. If they're in too much pain to do so, that's understandable. But that's not the case right now.

Arctic_fox

Quote from: Viewer on October 05, 2016, 11:00:21 PM
Good. Let him have that "accident" and then deal with the negative mood as a result. Plus, you're one potentially productive member down.

Insert dealwithit.jpg here.
perhaps but id prefer to avoid a sheriff like trait and eating up meds is pretty bad on its own though i still think it should have at a minimum a negitive social of between 30 and 100 for reasons above, seeing as you dont tend to have a steady stream of non herbal meds and such until the end of year 1 to middle of year 2 and thats only if rng dosent decide to troll you this can be a colony killing trait if he just takes meds and you get a breakout of malaria for example, ive lost pawns to it when i have a low skill doctor and only herbal meds more then a few times even with good beds and round the clock watchimg them.

Its much easier to deal with one pawn dead then it is losing half your colony to malaria or sleeping sickness because that one pawn wanted meds, medigating one death is easy i do it a lot when raiders come and kill someone so i tend to keep smokeleaf and a small beer stash for super bad days then you add on burrying said pawn and its pretty easy to manage the loss of one.

mid to late game one hydro could be managed easily but just like pyro and a few others is going to be a nightmare or even colony killer early game if your not careful, that said if he goes and lays down for treatment and dosent need any it would be amuseing to use my log o psychiatric care to give him a ligitimate reason to be in said bed.

JuicyPVP

I love reading simple suggestion posts that display good common sense, and then reading the comments on those posts asking to add more micromanagement and "fun-killers" to the game if the original suggestion is implemented.

A good majority of the Rimworlders are masochists, or just trolls. . .