Resultion crashes?

Started by clutchsteel, July 15, 2016, 04:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clutchsteel

Switching to resolution 1280x1024 failed, trying lower one
All resolution switches have failed
Screen: could not switch resolution (1280x1024 fs=1 hz=0)
that's what comes up every other time i create a new colony in alpha 14
it crashes my game. Any fixes i can have to fix it?

milon

What's your resolution?  What's your operating system?

clutchsteel

By operating system i think you mean like PC or specs but, i have a PC
my resolution is 1280 x 1024

milon

Okay, so it's detection resolution correctly.

The operating system is the first "program" that loads when you turn on your computer - Windows, Mac, or Linux.

clutchsteel

milon

Weird.  That's been the most stable, as far as Rim World is concerned.

Okay, here's the next step:
In Windows Explorer (your file manager, and not Internet Explorer), go to ..\RimWorld1234Win\RimWorld1234Win_Data\ and find the file called output_log.txt and upload it here.  You can copy & paste the contents, or you can Attach the file (when you're writing a post, go to Preview then click + Attachments and other options then click Choose File and attach from there).

clutchsteel

i can't find any file called \RimWorld1234Win\RimWorld1234Win_Data\ in my search bar in the bottom left or in windows explorer. But i was looking at the file i went to read me and it told me how to get to it. here is the output log.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

milon

Did you play RimWorld at all?  Either it's trying to start multiple times, or else you did get to play it a couple times.

And now I realize that the first thing you posted was a part of the log file.  Sorry I didn't realize that sooner.  >_<

In case anyone else can help, here's the last part of the log file after unused assets are unloaded:
Quote from: output_log.txt
D3D device reset failed [invalid call]

(Filename:  Line: 354)

D3D device reset failed [invalid call]

(Filename:  Line: 354)

All resolution switches have failed
Screen: could not switch resolution (1280x1024 fs=1 hz=0)

Seems like this is being triggered by a D3D Reset Fail.  I have no idea what's causing that, however.  Can anyone else weigh in on this?

clutchsteel

When i start rim world, then make a world it works not satisfied with the world so i make new one this happens after creating characters.

milon

Ah, got it now.  So it fails after creating characters before showing you the world for the first time.  I'm really suspecting the D3D reset fail now, but I still don't know the answer.

Anyone else have any ideas?

clutchsteel

I kinda want to play rimworld cuz i just bought alpha 14 but i can't. I hope no one else is getting this problem!

skullywag

Try running in windowed mode see if it makes a difference.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

clutchsteel

I figured it out! I was recording rim world during this whole thing (i was making a review) and for some reason it only crashes after the character creation with fraps recording! i don't know if this will be a problem for other video recording software either.

clutchsteel

Thank you for your help and time even though it was my idiocy that caused the buy mr moderator.