A14 is here. Your thoughts?

Started by Shurp, July 15, 2016, 08:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenWL

I'm enjoying about everything from A14, expect my colonists being idiots with food.
I keep on having to stop them from eating raw food when meals are right next to the tables.

Also, still rather bothered that eating raw human flesh gives both 'raw cannibalism' and 'ate raw food' thoughts.

juanval

I didn't play Alpha 13. I play a lot A12. From A14 I like the social feature, the possibility of crafting firearms, the expanded research, the rich variety of animals, etc.

Rimworld is a game with a big potential.

SURU

I love this game, and Alpha 14 as well. I think it still suffer from lack of uncontained modifications, and mods are almost necessary to have a lot of fun. I mean mods like "No cleaning please", "Allow Tool", "Expanded Surgery..". Also more expanded content like 'Woodworking', 'Leatherworking' should be nice.

Personally i love randomness in this game, and playing with 3 fully random people makes me happy.
CraPC: AMD Phenom X3 8750 | Club 3D Radeon 7770 | Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 | 4GB RAM DDR2 2x2GB Kingston
Don't go this way!

Calahan

The major annoyance I've found so far is the new way worlds are created.

I usually like playing with 1 Outlander Town, 2 Tribes, 1 Pirate, and 1 extra Pirate or Tribe. So in previous versions I would create a world, start a colony, and then check the factions to see if they matched what I wanted. If they didn't I would create another world, if they did then I would start some new dummy colonies to find a starting location that looked interesting (water layout, mountain range etc.) and which had my desired biome and temp range. Then finally I would start a new colony for real knowing I would have the factions I wanted, and the location should make for an interesting game.

But now there is no longer a world file, once I find an interesting start location (which also takes a lot longer now because I have to generate the same world seed again and again), I find myself having to repeatedly regenerate the same map seed over and over until I get the factions I want (because it seems the factions aren't part of the seed). And even more annoying, in previous versions, if I liked the faction mix I got and wanted to start a new colony, I could just start one on the same world, and obviously immediately get the factions I wanted. But now I have to go through the laborious rinse and repeat method outlined above.

This is a definite change for the worse IMO, and for example my current A14 game took me well over an hour to setup due to the repeated world generations and faction mix hunting. I can't recall this process taking me more than 15-20 minutes max in the past, and I've been struggling to enjoy A14 so far because I was so annoyed at having to repeatedly regenerate worlds. (unless I've missed something with the seed, or scenario creation tool that allows me to select factions).

I guess world files were removed for technical reasons, but starting a new game has become considerably more annoying (for me) without them.

draba

Didn't get to play too much yet, but I liked what I saw in that little time very much.
Skipped A13 so this is the first time I see relations in action, they add a ton to the atmosphere and gameplay.
The only minor annoyance was the switch of the perfectly nice husky model with some furry art,
for me it looks a bit out of place and after checking out the source it's a bit disturbing :)
Nothing that a minor mod can't fix though.

Travinsky

Its a nice enough update, the scenario editor is intriguing and it seems that the UI has been cleaned up nicely, also there's a few new animals to give life to the environments. Beyond that though it hasn't blown my socks off, its just left me going "meh, good enough". Like, I haven't dived into a colony eagerly like the last few updates.

Then again the time between A14 and A13 was a lot shorter than A13 and A12 etc. so it makes sense. Haven't used Steam, hoping it stays that way with the downloads. Would really like to see some expansion with the factions and such next update with more events to keep the endgame interesting.

shirlierox

So far I'm loving it and I'm only playing vanilla.

I like the scenario editor as I think it's great you can custom build a new start or even just keep spamming random until you hit a cool looking scenario.

So far I was thinking this is great I'm not getting attacked and my colony is growing.  Then a patch came out and I got a heat wave and a raid straight away ouch.

My colonists don't seem a suicidal now and don't keep running through my deadfall traps which made me do a happy dance.

I think the big thing I like is the in game adding of mods on the steam version. I think this will open up mods to a whole new range of people who  just see the install instructions on some installs and break out in a sweat and start shaking.

bonebaby

I like it overall, but did run into a snag with the air conditioners.  I used to setup a big refridgerated room to handle all the food and food prep work.  To this end, I would have an exterior wall with 10 or so A/C units, then a one tile walkway, then a security wall blocking off the A/C units from attack.  I'd uncover a few roof tiles to vent the heat out, this no longer seems to work at all.  Even with an open ( or 3 ) roof tiles, the heat builds up to well over 250F quickly.  When that happens, the A/C units stop cooling the room...  If I pop a wall tile out, everything is fine.  Wall vents act like the open roof tiles, they don't work out in this application.

Other than the A/C issues I'll have to work with, this update has been a blast!

-BB

Hyena

I was looking forward to the scenario system, as I quite like the idea of setting up situations, but I was surprised that some options that seemed fairly obvious to me, were left out. Such as the ability to select a forced backstory, in the same way forced traits are an option. I can't understand why one would be there while another isn't, especially since character backstory is a lot more relevant to setting up a scenario than traits are - for example, I wanted to create a scenario where a rancher/cattle transporter crashes on a planet with nothing but himself, some surviving cattle, and just way too much milk on its way to spoiling.

Unfortunately this can't be done, and instead I find myself looking at mods like Prepare Carefully that have been around for several game versions to do what this update basically promised to do. =(

Still, it's nice to have the steam workshop for mods now.

Trish42

First of all I would like to say - wow, what an awesome update to the game! Since the new version came out, I've been playing it basically non stop for two days! Here I must note that I have played a lot of Rimworld but have skipped the last version and haven't played for quite some time now. I'm saying that firstly because it got me totally immersed again and secondly because I have quite a list of praises for the work that has been done on the game - here it goes.

Starting a new game before this version sometimes made me quit before I even started playing - choosing 3 "ideal" colonist took time and felt like a chore, so I was more than happy with the new selection screen where you can choose to start with only one colonist and start the game quickly. I was also glad that all the starting resources weren't scattered around the whole map but were in close proximity, so I wasn't wasting my initial setup on hauling them from afar.

I love the new colonists icons on top - they are just practical! I like the passing of time being shown in seasons! I like the new expand/clear build roof area tool! Took me a while to notice it was there though.

I'm extremely happy (+50 mood) about the ability to remove floors, reinstall furniture, make your own weapons, armor and helmets at the machining table, carnivore pets not dying from starvation but hunting for themselves, variety of animals on the map, list of leathers alphabetized, new moisture pump so you can again remove mud and shallow water, cremating dessicated animal corpses without problem (what can I say I like my environment clean and without mud). Prioritizing build tasks now works awesome! Prioritizing deconstruction of walls also. I somehow expected it to work for removing floors as well, but I guess the mechanics are different for floors (got around that one by creating a new area around the desired floor so the colonist would finish removing all the floor tiles and then moving on to other tasks). It's also excellent that production benches now have min and max skill limitations, now I can fine tune who works where in accordance to the quantities I have set up! It would also be great if work benches could be reinstalled in a different location.

New social relations are awesome! Double beds can finally accommodate two :) New music tracks are amazing, I listened to the soundtrack before, but in-game it's just amazing!

Keep up the awesome work Tynan and team! :)

harkov

I haven't been able to play a whole lot yet. The game set up screens look better. Now I actually see the permadeath option while starting a game instead of having to look for it.