A14 is here. Your thoughts?

Started by Shurp, July 15, 2016, 08:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

I like this:

•Pawns can no longer overlap during melee combat (unless they're really small). No more animal deathstacks! This also creates new tactics around blocking, surrounding, or back-line shooters. We had to write a bunch of AI and blocking code to make this function.

This makes me want to write a melee-only mod :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

cultist

Haven't really had time to start a proper game yet, just messing around and seeing what's new. The scenario thing seems cool, and apparently the seed option there can generate some pretty crazy stuff. Also excited about the tribal scenario, seems like an interesting approach that encourages a very different early game strategy and creates a more believeable permanent settlement scenario.

Topper

I'm disappointed with the scenario editor. Its no where near as clean and organized nor as complete as EDB's prepare carefully. They had some time to get this right and I dont understand why the ball was dropped.

Gibson8088

Quote from: Topper on July 15, 2016, 11:20:39 PM
I'm disappointed with the scenario editor. Its no where near as clean and organized nor as complete as EDB's prepare carefully. They had some time to get this right and I dont understand why the ball was dropped.

Hey, give them some leeway there.  The Scenario Editor is brand new.  I'm sure over time it will get sorted out.

What I find amusing are the scenario seeds.  'tynan' gave an interesting result.  "Contest of Thrusting"?  Is that why I need the 52 marble beds, 300 herbal medicine and a Thrumbo Horn?  ;D

DeltaVee

Quote from: Gibson8088 on July 16, 2016, 12:09:31 AM
What I find amusing are the scenario seeds.  'tynan' gave an interesting result.  "Contest of Thrusting"?  Is that why I need the 52 marble beds, 300 herbal medicine and a Thrumbo Horn?  ;D

That's almost too good to be random, lol :) Good name for that colony could be Tynan's Harem.

Anyway, I'm having a blast with A14, the only thing I'm missing is the better vents/cooler mod, because I just like the esthetic of those as opposed to the vanilla ones that break up walls (visually).

pktongrimworld

Animals no longer do incest.
Humans now do incest.

^this bothers me.

now I can't make my inbred chicken farms anymore.

Edit: errrr the chickens I mean.

Regulus

It's a solid update and I am happy with RimWorld in general.

The only feedback / negative comment I have is it seems the 'Incapable Of' traits seem like they're generating a lot more frequently. It's been awhile since I played so I'm not sure if it's greater or just my perception. In my opinion it should be a very rarely spawned trait and just use the skill affinities to influence what skills a character has.

Chibiabos

Quote from: pktongrimworld on July 16, 2016, 12:24:52 AM
Humans now do incest.

^this bothers me.

But you can make inbred chicken farmers now. ;)  Well, okay, not really.  SFAIK colonists still can't breed.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Aatxe360

Balance.  EDB's Prepare Carefully made it too easy to cheese the early game.

quxzcover

Quote from: Aatxe360 on July 16, 2016, 12:46:51 AM

Balance.  EDB's Prepare Carefully made it too easy to cheese the early game.

its your choice if you want to start with something good or not. the game is almost unplayable though for me without prepare carefully. id rather not sit there for two hours randomizing still feeling unsatisfied with my starting colonists. also you can now start with whatever you want which means the only cheese would be how good your colonists are. which keep in mind prepare carefully did not at all remove the randomize option.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Gibson8088 on July 16, 2016, 12:09:31 AM
Try
lupe fuentes
You start with minigun research, several people, 290% global learning speed, the map is scattered with AI persona core.

Shurp

Quote from: quxzcover on July 16, 2016, 01:11:33 AM
its your choice if you want to start with something good or not. the game is almost unplayable though for me without prepare carefully.

Unplayable?  How?  It only takes me a few minutes of clicking "Randomize" to get someone who can shoot, someone who can cook, a doctor, a negotiator, and a researcher.  That's all you really need at the start.  Sure, having crappy constructors, miners, and farmers will slow you down, but is that really detracting from enjoyment of the game?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Nictis

Quote from: Chibiabos on July 16, 2016, 12:42:46 AM
Quote from: pktongrimworld on July 16, 2016, 12:24:52 AM
Humans now do incest.

^this bothers me.

But you can make inbred chicken farmers now. ;)  Well, okay, not really.  SFAIK colonists still can't breed.
I'm still waiting for the update that lets me breed prisoners for my cannibal colonies.  :P

TheSilencedScream

Quote from: Shurp on July 17, 2016, 10:02:28 PM
its your choice if you want to start with something good or not. the game is almost unplayable though for me without prepare carefully.

Unplayable?  How?  It only takes me a few minutes of clicking "Randomize" to get someone who can shoot, someone who can cook, a doctor, a negotiator, and a researcher.  That's all you really need at the start.  Sure, having crappy constructors, miners, and farmers will slow you down, but is that really detracting from enjoyment of the game?

To an extent, being able to control SOME aspects does detract for me, yes.
I'm glad EdB put out a A14 version, even if it is bug-free.

I like to feel involved and feel some kind of attachment to my pawns, so I styled them after myself and my friends. Suddenly, it's a challenge to see what we can survive through.

I don't care about picking skills. I do like (to a limited extent) being able to pick starter pet(s) and weapons; but, primarily, designing characters that somewhat resemble the people that I'd like them to look like DOES add to my enjoyment.

I'm actually really enjoying XCOM 2 right now, specifically because I've modeled some of the units in the same way. It's made an already great game into something even better, if only on a personal level.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Asero

Quote from: Shurp on July 17, 2016, 10:02:28 PM