EDB Retirement

Started by dragonheck, July 16, 2016, 12:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erdrik

Ok...
From what Ive seen, Prepare Carefully was a pretty cool mod and all.
But to say "this game is unplayable with out it" is straight up bull donkey.

Honor the mod maker, but don't do so at the expense of the game dev.
Tynan has made a perfectly playable and fun game even mod-less.

CrazyTribal

It's  not 'unplayable' from a technical aspect.. just that the mod really enhances gameplay for many.  The game is perfectly playable either way.
Question:What's better than a Chocolate Chip Cookie?
Answer: I don't want to know the answer...

Come visit Crazy Tribal Gaming Youtube Channel!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9L17J54Il77T6t95d4G3pw

Barley

I personally could never like the prepare carefully mod. It felt like cheating to have my first three colonists just so happen to be three skilled survivalists each specializing in a different but necessary aspect of colony construction. "Gee, its a good thing we got a herbalist, a commissar, and an engineer all between the ages of 20 and 30 with no injuries on hand to build this colony! What are the odds of that?"

That said, sad to see such an integral part of the rimworld community retire.

Asero

Quote from: erdrik on July 16, 2016, 09:41:55 PM
From what Ive seen, Prepare Carefully was a pretty cool mod and all.
But to say "this game is unplayable with out it" is straight up bull donkey.
Honor the mod maker, but don't do so at the expense of the game dev.
Tynan has made a perfectly playable and fun game even mod-less.

I agree. Mods can easily become a disheartening addiction. And frankly, most games play well without them.

My Skyrim, and Cities Skylines used to be a bug ridden mess of endless chaotic mod lists, until I wiped everything keeping only a select few including the HD texture packs. Needless to say I never looked back I'm a lot happier for it.

keylocke

i also agree that edb's prep carefully mod was my most fave mod. i've played with it for almost every alpha.

i think the only real reason why it didn't get fully integrated into rimworld, with tynan opting to use the scenario system instead, was because there are some game backers who already payed for creating their custom characters, which might seem unfair to them, coz using edb's prep carefully mod practically allows players to do something similar for free.

at least that's my guess.

You made the game a much better experience for me.
Now your work ended up in the vanilla version, what a success full mod! :D

Whatever you end up doing next, I hope you have fun!

Thanks for everything EdB!
Cya

Sponge

My goodness! An I the only person who didn't use Prepare Carefully?

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Sponge on July 19, 2016, 03:00:40 PM
My goodness! An I the only person who didn't use Prepare Carefully?

Apparently just me and you :)

Although I did use and love Interface/Colonist bar and the Mod Order mods.

blackrosezia

Prepare Carefully, while not vital for me, was extremely useful, if only for the 'save preset' function, so I could scout maps without having to spend another hour hitting randomize each time there's a single tile of marsh in the middle of my perfect base, or all the geothermals are on the edges of the map.

Was a great mod, and I hope that the option is picked up one way or the other so we can still min-max as we like.

And thanks for all the work you've done EDB!

falcongrey

Quote from: EdB on July 16, 2016, 09:11:20 PM
I appreciate all of the kind words.

I am still going to be stepping away from RimWorld modding, but I've been feeling bad about what must have seemed liked an abrupt decision for Prepare Carefully.  I've spent some time today open-sourcing the code for the mod to better prepare it for others to take it over or to create their own mods based on it.

In addition, I completed an initial Alpha 14 version.  It should be considered a beta and definitely has some bugs, but it seems to mostly work.  More information can be found here:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6261.msg234876#msg234876

I'm not entirely sure what's next regarding a final Alpha 14 version, but I feel like the mod is at least now better-positioned to live on in one form or another.

Thanks for opening the mod for others to take it over and admittingly I'm sad to see you leaving the modding field but fully understand from past modding experience with another game. Prepare Carefully is also my most anticipated mod because I love starting with the same pawns. <3

It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

FalconBR

The new scenarios are really fun, I started with the rich something, the one that you start with a lone colonist with a pulse rifle and lots of money.
I gave the colonist my name, and I am using him as my main character, I already lost an arm, and lost the bionic replacement army during the install surgery the almost killed me!
If he dies I will probabily start a new colony.
But Prepare Carefully was very useful because I wanted a colonist that looked likes me, and there is no option to do it in game! I would also start a new tribe game with my pawn named as my family and with family bounds with them!