Tynan Said "We might be ending development soon..." :(

Started by userfredle, July 16, 2016, 07:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

userfredle

"To be clear - we might end development soon, or we might continue it for years. Please buy the game only if you want to play it as it exists now - not based on what it might some day become."

this is what he said under the steam early access game. Das not cool bro :(

Thoughts? I mean he has already made a cool couple mil off the game.

Headshotkill

Either it's a win-win situation.

Or tynan puts more features into the game, or mods can start growing unlimited without having to worry for code-changes after every update.
I think focusing on making the game more mod-friendly is the final step needed.

keylocke

that actually sounds more like a disclaimer for newbies to curb their expectations.

i can relate to that since people who gets so wowed by the awesome potential of this game can get so emotionally invested in about how much more awesome this game would be if X or Y features were added.

some suggestions are feasible, some are non-feasible, some are gonna take tons of work investment on the part of the devs, etc..

so my interpretation of that statement is to just curb your expectations.

in the end, it's all gonna be up to demand and how successful the game ends up to be. plus, just coz rimworld 1 could stop development, it might also mean that they might start developing rimworld 2.

(hopefully with z-levels, multiplayer, etc.. features already built-in from the ground up)

akiceabear

He's had similar disclaimers for the last few alphas (since A9?). It's to discourage unrealistic expectations of endless development. He's said himself that it also may continue, and/or he may have others do more additional development under his guidance to reduce the personal burn out. Many options.

chrisb2e9

I've become very good at spawning in items from the debug menu. sadly you can't set skills. it's all or nothing.

Shurp

Question: when developers decide they're bored or have made enough money off of a game, why don't they sell it to others to continue to develop?  Or if they can't sell it, release the source code to let the players continue with it?

Admittedly if they plan to use some part of it in a future production that could be counterproductive.  But it seems like a lot of these games just get abandoned and die for no apparent reason.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

CrazyTribal

I agree with some of the above.

If there isn't going to be substantial changes then just end with a really good update and then let modders take it from there.   

I personally love playing with mods, and having to wait for mods to get updated for each new version.. becomes a bit much.   Plus a lot of mod authors probably get tired of having to keep updating and we end up losing really great Mod creators.

Just my own thoughts. :)  As far as I am concerned the game right now in A14 is perfectly fine.  Can't wait for mods to catch up.
Question:What's better than a Chocolate Chip Cookie?
Answer: I don't want to know the answer...

Come visit Crazy Tribal Gaming Youtube Channel!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9L17J54Il77T6t95d4G3pw

Asero

Why didn't Tynan just do a full 1.0 release of the game, instead of putting it in early access if that is the case?

userfredle

If he does end development soon I sure hope atleast all the bugs and flaws in ai are worked out.

like prisoners who flee and freeze to death giving all my colonists a mood hit, and my colonists say "The least we could've done is executed him ourselves" Nice...

Not to mention pawns still die by their own traps, avoiding the alternate routes like the corridors are stricken with the bubonic plague

But id have to say if he ended development soon id be most disappointed with how little he cared about defense. 1 turret, since alpha 1, and 1 trap since they came out, he didn't try pushing the envelope very far on this one (Animals were sick tho, AI needs work so they don't suicide any chance they get). and mods are horrendously unbalanced which is why im so butthurt tynan didn't oversee more defense strategies, Turrets, and general defense items himself (Because his main goal is balance)

(If he does end soon) I never thought his vision for the game would possibly be so short sighted when I bought it in alpha 1, wasted potential.

Barley

Honestly the only things the game could be argued to need at this point are children and maybe more detailed faction interaction. As it is I could play the game now forever.

More important is that Tynan get to add this game to his portfolio and move on to the next game. Don't want the guy to be tied to a single piece of work forever, and who knows what games we could be missing out on in the meantime.

buttflexspireling

As you said it's up to you what to do! I mean, as far as I'm concerned I

think he can easily hold country music concerts selling Rimworld license

plates, dress shirts, food air fresheners and Rimworld tires. The sky's not

exactly the limit but I figure it's about time he does whatever makes him

happy.

AllenWL

Quote from: userfredle on July 16, 2016, 07:45:42 AM
"To be clear - we might end development soon, or we might continue it for years. Please buy the game only if you want to play it as it exists now - not based on what it might some day become."

this is what he said under the steam early access game. Das not cool bro :(

Thoughts? I mean he has already made a cool couple mil off the game.
I'm about 90% sure I saw that exact same message like, two years ago when I bought the game.
Not too concerned over it.

( Tchey )

Quote from: userfredle on July 16, 2016, 07:45:42 AM

Source ?

I've read this different times since i bought the game. It was Alpha 1 then.

narkul

The game's a cash cow already, neither now nor the near future is the time to stop development. Development should stop when the cow falls over or the udders run dry, then you release 1.0