Innocent prisoner died mood impact

Started by Jan2607, July 16, 2016, 07:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan2607

I know, there is now a negative mood impact, if your prisoner gets killed by colonists. That's because it was possible to kill prisoners without getting this mood impact instead of execute him.
But I noticed, that the colonists will get this, even if the prisoner is NOT that innocent. My prisoner was on rampage, broke out of my prison cell and my colonists had no other choice than to shoot at him. Unfortunately, my prisoner died immediately. All my colonists got this mood impact now.
Thats a little bit unfair, I think. There is a difference, if I kill my prisoner, because it is fun or if I shoot him in self-defense, because he is on rampage.

In my opinion, it would be better, if the colonists wouldn't get this mood impact, if the killed prisoner was on rampage. Maybe it could be replaced by a smaller "I had to kill another human, but he gave me no other choice" mood impact (something like -3).

Shurp

My two thoughts on this:

1) What is being requested wouldn't be that hard to implement.  Just check the status of the pawn when it died; if it was hostile, impose a smaller mood penalty.

2) But on the flip side, if you take someone prisoner, you can argue it's your responsibility to keep him happy and have him not go on a rampage.

The one exception is the "prisoner breakout" event -- if you have to take them down (which you do) imposing a penalty afterwards is pretty awful.  It could make keeping any significant quantity of prisoners totally unviable.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

DariusWolfe

As Shurp sort of points out, removing this would be easily exploitable. Prisoners, if you starve them, will almost always go on a rampage.

Personally though, if I take someone prisoner, 90% of the time it's because they attacked my Colony. I really can't imagine anyone losing sleep over an enemy dying. Atrocities like harvesting them for parts, or eating them I can sorta understand, but a mood debuff because I didn't feel like wasting my limited supply of meds trying to treat an infection is bogus.

robohunterx

You always have the option to release them as well, of course you would need to make sure they don't rampage anymore, but setting them on a "Joy-only" schedule might fix that.
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
   -P. J. O'Rourke

Jan2607

Quote from: robohunterx on July 17, 2016, 03:59:19 PM
You always have the option to release them as well, of course you would need to make sure they don't rampage anymore, but setting them on a "Joy-only" schedule might fix that.

Huh? You can't tell a prisoner, what he has to do. The work/sleep/joy schedule does only work for colonists.
"make sure they don't rampage anymore" That's the problem. My prisoner was on rampage and broke his cell. He got out and wanted to kill my colonists, so I had to shoot him. That's the only way to make sure, they don't rampage anymore. I can't evacuate my whole colony because of one prisoner gone wild...
He was on bad mood when I catched him. The wounds he suffered in the raid didn't make it better, so it was not my fault, that he was on rampage.

robohunterx

No, haven't tried it, but I believe if you release the prisoner (If you imprisoned a colonist, they should rejoin and at that point you can remove him/her from any duties or jobs, or just schedule him/her less work hours. I'll have to wait until I run across that, but it makes sense in my head.
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
   -P. J. O'Rourke

DariusWolfe

Sometimes you don't get a chance to release them. I always take care of my prisoners, and either recruit or release, but I had my first prisoner die, because my Warden got too busy to check on her as often as she should, and one of her wounds took septic and killed her.

Selvek

Ok, I get the logic behind this change, and that it's tough to get it right in every circumstance, but... If I treat my prisoner's infection religiously and he still succumbs, hey, not much more I could do...

...I mean, aside from letting him use my glitterworld meds of course... but that's just unreasonable :)