Tribal vs Colony

Started by captainradish, July 16, 2016, 07:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captainradish

What on earth is the difference? I can't figure it out.

Bastobasto

In base all the character are tribal and all wanderer that join are tribal.

captainradish

Ok, but is there any practical difference besides the appearance difference? The a14 description made it out to be that tribal was a little bit of a "hard mode" as higher tier techs were more difficult to research, but didn't imply any other practical differences.

winddbourne

I think, and I could be wrong, that the tribal game play is something that is going to be expanded on over time with new techs and different ways to play the game. Tribal types probably will also have different backgrounds compared to people who crash land from a ship, or who come purposefully to settle the new world and find a challenge. This could be a totally different type of game but it just showed up in Alpha 14 and doesn't appear to have much flesh on it's bones yet. :)

captainradish

That would make sense. I'm having a good time with it regardless as it's simpler but harder; yet it has the same potential as a normal colony.

Rust

Tribals start with fewer technologies then a normal colony at the start, chiefly electricity. On the plus side, the extra two bodies do help with the early game.

keylocke

it depends on how "tribal" you want it to be.

ie : in the scenario editor, you can disable certain buildings and scenarios from happening.

so if you wanna stick to tribals, you can probably disable all electrical furnitures/buildings in the scenario editor.

userfredle

BIG DIFFERENCES- Tech level Neolithic, means anything above takes 2x, 3x, 4x etc longer, like bricks are medieval so takes 2x, where as electricity is modern so 3x longer to research.

-Basically means your forced to make a walled in trap zone with no hopes of ever defeating mechanoids (Cuz no turrets)

+ 2 Colonists and + 2 Random pets

Small Differences - background

Better starting mood buff??? It seems that the Low expectations mood buff stays with them longer, despite wealth being very high on stats

- Unwealthy start

b0rsuk

They are very bad at researching things. Most technologies are 4x harder.

RayvenQ

Quote from: captainradish on July 16, 2016, 08:17:58 PM
That would make sense. I'm having a good time with it regardless as it's simpler but harder; yet it has the same potential as a normal colony.

Yeah it seems to balance itself out, since tribals have lower wealth usually than colonists, raids tend to scale well.

The only difficulty, with a zero power tribal play I've had is when it comes to storing food, but you learn a routine for that, grow crops when you can, use some for food, save the rest, when winter comes, hunt and use the meat to make pemmican to bulk up your longer term supplies.

b0rsuk

I think winter is precisely when you don't need the pemmican. Your food becomes refrigerated by default. Unless you're saving it for spring ?

Jarwy

For a proper nuckle-dragger experience, I would wait for Accension mod to go A14. For now, tribal start is like the lite version of that.

RayvenQ

Quote from: b0rsuk on July 17, 2016, 05:39:36 AM
I think winter is precisely when you don't need the pemmican. Your food becomes refrigerated by default. Unless you're saving it for spring ?

Yeah you're making pemmican for the following year, and the reason I leave it till winter to make and to hunt meat, is to take advantage of winter making my unheated food storage hut a fridge/freezer, so you can hunt a lot, and not worry about the meat spoiling, and use the winter months of inactivity to mass produce pemmican, maybe have some proper meals in winter too again because of the preservative nature of the season.

Tangaloor

I had never thought of that.  I was noticing each batch of pemmican seems to create about 20 units, but each time a colonist eats some, it's also about 20 units.  It makes it hard to store it if you have to store such large amounts.  Interestingly, if it tastes worse than Simple Meals, why do they eat it before the Simple Meals.  I was looking at having to create special zoning to keep it from being eaten.

I'm concerned about the creation of pemmican requiring veggies, which I think will spoil, which is why I've been concentrating on creating it before winter. You can't grow in the winter at tribal tech levels, I don't think.

neet0

First start in 14 I'm doing a tribal start on Randy Extreme.

I tripled research time in the defs as an extra challenge because research always felt too fast. Electricity is 10800 and I might not even reach it since everybody is busy going berserk and beating each other and getting their fingers shot off by raiders. Definitely FUN.