I found a secret way for dealing with pesky sieges.

Started by vampiresoap, August 17, 2018, 11:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vampiresoap

Hi guys I don't know if I'm too late, but here goes!

So all you have to do is construct like a huge outer wall. It doesn't matter what it's made of. Just leave some distance from the wall to the absolute edge of the map for shooting.

Roof the positions and place sandbags all around the outwall if you can afford it. I just used rocks for cover personally because the outwall is just miles long all around. So when the raiders show up, you just shoot them down from a safe, controlled position. They never even stood a chance in my playthrough, and I played on extreme.

Please let me know what you think :) Or if someone already discovered this already. Thanks!

Kirby23590

Could you show a screenshot of your secret way with the anti-siege tactic you got in this post. Please?

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

RawCode

expected to see strategy related to building single wall section + roof in order to funnel siegers into specific position

tarator

Uh? Sieges are the easiest, you just kill someone with snipers and they'll attack like ordinary raiders, but with bonus steel.

Kirby23590

Quote from: tarator on August 17, 2018, 11:47:57 AM
Uh? Sieges are the easiest, you just kill someone with snipers and they'll attack like ordinary raiders, but with bonus steel.
Yup, easy peachy. Unless there's counter-snipers or bolt-action rifle users but they can become a annoyance. :P

Or them eating a doomsday or a triple rocket launcher or one of them going insane or becoming unconscious from a psychic artifact.

There are many cost effective ways and fun ways to counter a siege.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

lperkins2

My favourite (with combat extended) was to sneak down there in the middle of the night and make a trail of mortar shells leading out of the middle of the raiders and around some corner, then tossing a grenade at the end of the trail.  By the time the raiders wake up from being under attack, it's too late for them.

The much simpler solution, which works without any mods, is to load a boomrat or two, or a boomalope into a drop pod and drop it in the middle of their base, right next to the explosive shells.  The raiders will shoot at the boomrats (which are surprisingly hard to hit), and often hit their friends.  Once they kill the boomrat, their ammunition (and anyone too close) all go up.

Copperwire

The above reminds me of something I have considered many times:  if you have pods that can deliver any cargo accurately through the roofs of buildings, why don't you just send chem fuel and a trigger.

That is in the "things you don't want to think about too hard" section of RW Suspension of Disbelief.

One answer is "because people attack you because they want your stuff".
Counterpoints - siege attacks who fire incendiary mortar rounds and mechs don't want your stuff

I think the safest answer is "culture".  In the far future, using bombs or missiles that shoot further then you can throw a football is the equivalent of killing a person by poking out their eyes with your fingers;  even pirates, mechs, and cannibals wouldn't stoop that low.  It is such an issue what when you have SPACESHIPS IN ORBIT that thinking about it has been breed out of humanoid DNA.

Leaves a few great mysteries, like how do ships buy prisoners from you yet you can't buy your way off the planet.  Again, I think "culture" is the best answer:  the matter transporter beams used to move animals and prisoners into orbit steal your soul so no free being will ever consent to it.  "You" would die and make a "Soulless You Clone" or something like that.  Can't have that.

5thHorseman

I just lob mortars back at them. I use the mortars and shells that I got from prior sieges. They give up pretty quick and then run through my trap corridor. Easy peasy.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Bozobub

Quote from: Copperwire on August 17, 2018, 03:25:43 PM"You" would die and make a "Soulless You Clone" or something like that.  Can't have that.
"Soulless?"  Nah.  But not you, although it certainly would disagree ;D.
Thanks, belgord!

Canute

Unless you are playing on a very large map, Sieges are allways the easiest raids.
Grab your long range weapons and rush them as soon they appear.
Kill their snipers first, then the others.
Once they start to assault the base, you can seek cover or retreat to your base.

mndfreeze

Quote from: 5thHorseman on August 17, 2018, 05:07:05 PM
I just lob mortars back at them. I use the mortars and shells that I got from prior sieges. They give up pretty quick and then run through my trap corridor. Easy peasy.

This is what I do.  If I don't have mortars yet to use then I use snipers or bolt actions.  If NONE of them are available then I very very carefully micro manage trying to take out people near the edge of their group until they raid, and I hope I either have good enough cover to survive or can run back to my base fast enough.

I generally only have a hard time with seiges in the early stages of the game.  Sometimes if they come really early after a particularly harsh start they can be brutal, but most of the time that's not the case.

vampiresoap

1. Snipers aren't always effective against them due to random terrain BS. I had one spawned literally right behind a mountain and the only way to get to them was to circle around and get in close.

2. I've had people died when I tried to fire mortars back at them. Sometimes they just get lucky. Nothing we can do about that. So I would say this strategy works really well most of the time, but not the best for ironman mode.

3. My strategy is kind of risky too, but I haven't had one casualty yet because I clear out all the cover they have at their usual "spawn points". So when I quickly set up a firing squad to face them, they don't stand a chance because there's no cover for them to hide behind while we have roofed sandbags and stone walls. I guess you can combine this with the sniper strategy, but my guys never got to be really good with shooting and they usually take too long to take out even one sniper. So I normally just mass assault rifle everybody to death. Plus, I don't like the micro anyways. Sniper rifles are practically useless in normal raids where you have a proper killbox set up.