[MOD] (Alpha 9) Target Practise (v.2.01)

Started by ItchyFlea, February 26, 2014, 04:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

Target Practise v2.01

Description:
This mod adds a modular shooting range so you can build one to fit the needs of your colony. This mod also adds training dummies.

These allow you to train up a colonists shooting or melee skill. They utilise the bill system and give experience at the same rate a colonist would receive if manually being trained.
Only colonists set as hunters will train at these new buildings.

Mod Team:
How to use:
  • For the Target: Draft a colonist and force them to fire on the target. (B key)
  • For the Range or Dummy: Set a bill to train either shooting or melee. Only people set as hunters will use the range/dummy.
  • The Shooting Range is modular, meaning that you can make it any size you wish. There are 3 pieces to it, a left side, right size and middle pieces. The middle pieces are where you can set bills for training. Each middle piece must have a bill assigned to it. The more middle pieces you use, the more colonists you can have training at any one time.
    You also get to choose what the floor looks like. You'll need to build the floor before you build the range.
Download:
How to install:
  • Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
  • Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.
Changelog:
V2.01:
  • Updated for Alpha 9
V2.0:
  • Added Shooting Range
  • Added Training Dummy
V1.4:
  • Updated for Alpha 8
V1.3:
  • Updated for Alpha 7

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

hawkwing

A good addition. I wish it had numbers pop up saying how much damage you'd done though...
Rimworld mods are now available on The Nexus!
Rimworld Nexus
(Goodbye, 600kb upload limit!)

ItchyFlea

I don't think that's possible, but I'll look into it.  :)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Vas

I believe the target should be destructible.  It's not logically accurate to have an indestructible item that you fire at all the time.  You should have to repair it or rebuild it every so often otherwise you can train all your people into super gunners and never lose another battle ever again with no loss whatsoever.  Even if it just means you gotta rebuild it every 30 shots that successfully hit it, that's fine because at least it won't be illogical anymore.  :P
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

hawkwing

Quote from: Vas on February 27, 2014, 09:46:32 AM
I believe the target should be destructible.  It's not logically accurate to have an indestructible item that you fire at all the time.

Abstractions, man. Video games are all about abstractions. Personally, I think they're balanced as they are. They takes ages to train even a single level on. Besides, you can do a LOT of plinking against a single steel plate even in the real world.
In a universe where we have infinite ammo, I think we can accept this indestructible object.

Can't remember if it can be walked through though... if not, that would be pretty exploitable.
Rimworld mods are now available on The Nexus!
Rimworld Nexus
(Goodbye, 600kb upload limit!)

NephilimNexus

On one hand, yes you can recruit people and tell them to shoot at it until they're great marksmen.  On the other hand, time spend recruited is time that they are not working, eating, or sleeping.  For the entire time that they're training they are producing nothing for the colony, and if left for too long they'll have a mental breakdown.

In other words, keeping soldiers in perpetual training becomes a drain on your working population.  Just like real life.  I think it balances itself out.

Vas

Meh, I just don't like indestructible objects.  If I add this, I'll remove it's indestructibility.  Sure you can make it with an incredibly high endurance, but it should still break.  Besides, it's kind of hard to forget to release your soldiers when the game tells you "soldier needs a break".  Obviously this is something you'll only do when you have people to spare as well.  You can't call those balancing just because it's something you wouldn't do right off the bat of starting the game.  :P
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

ItchyFlea

You'll want to remove this tag: <UseStandardHealth>False</UseStandardHealth>
and replace it with something like this: <maxHealth>180</maxHealth>
:)

Vas

I'm just curious, did you know that practice is spelled with a C and not an S? x3

Rokiyo

Practice is a noun, practise is a verb.

At my Medical Practice, I practise medicine.

daft73

Quote from: Vas on March 02, 2014, 10:17:31 AM
I'm just curious, did you know that practice is spelled with a C and not an S? x3
great addition to help train up your shoots. Ty fine sir! ;D

slightly off topic..more infos practice/practise

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

kolourblynd

Yeah, practice is used interchangeably in the US, while other English-speaking countries use practise as the verb form. It should be pointed out that these are not pronounced the same; prac-tice vs prac-tize.

Bunnie

Love the mod, any chance of a "PunchBag" to train melee? :P

OnyxShadow

I like this mod fairly well, but it would be great (and probably an enormous amount of work unfortunately) to have it incorporated as a low-priority task that can be done if nothing else needs doing along the lines of research and cleaning.

In most of my games, I can usually find something to shoot that's productive (dozens of rats eating my food stores).