Questions concerning Mods: Regular version vs Steam

Started by ArguedPiano, July 15, 2016, 05:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArguedPiano

Good afternoon everyone.

As the game is now released on Steam this has got me thinking. Will the Mods be different on Steam as opposed to how we have always installed and played with them?

I do have Steam but have never used it to install mods on any game. The current system works well for me. Simply downloading them and putting in a folder is quite simple. But I imagine Steam works a little different.

Are we going to be able to play with the same Mods on both versions? Or will the creators have to adapt or create them for both Steam and Non Steam?
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

DariusWolfe

For the most part, all Steam does is automate the process of dropping the files into the mod folder, as well as updating them. Unless there are complex processes for a particular mod, the Workshop mods should be identical to the ones for manual installation.

The problem with Steam Workshop mods is where an update to one mod may break another mod, or something similar, since it doesn't give you the ability to say "No" to an update, or roll-back to an earlier version. The only option is to unsubscribe from the mod entirely.

That said, manually installed mods typically work just fine with steam versions of games, though an update to the game client may break your modded game.

milon

Quote from: DariusWolfe on July 15, 2016, 05:12:18 PM
...though an update to the game client may break your modded game.

I can't speak to the rest of it (Steam n00b here), but it's always been the case with RimWorld that the next release breaks EVERY mod, and they must all be updated to work again.  Which, really, is a tribute to Tynan and the community as a whole.  People are willing to pay for the game, and to invest their time over and over again.  :)

DariusWolfe

QuoteI can't speak to the rest of it (Steam n00b here), but it's always been the case with RimWorld that the next release breaks EVERY mod, and they must all be updated to work again.

Yes, I should have spoken more clearly; The problem I was attempting to illustrate is that Steam will automatically update the Client, and break your game-in-progress. With the DRM-free version, the users can choose to download the update at their convenience, so as to avoid breaking their saved games.

viperwasp

I thought you could choose a Steam Game to stop all updates. But I just went and check that is no longer an option. It may have been a long time ago thought I remembered seeing it? Is there any current way to stop updates?
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

ArguedPiano

Thank you for the replys. The modding community here seems to be keeping pace so far so I'll just keep playing the same way I always have. Plus, I really like this community here.

@viperwasp
You can stop automatic updates for the game itself. Go into your library, right click said game, click properties -> updates, uncheck Automatic Updates box

DariusWolfe

Last I heard, turning off game updates wasn't working (I recall bitching about it with XCOM 2; I never bothered to try it, so can't speak for myself).

The only sure-fire solution I've seen has been to constantly play with Steam in Offline mode, which is too annoying for me to bother with.

Ayt

Perhaps Tynan could do what other games do, namely Paradox games like Europa Univeralis 4, where older versions of the game are available under the beta tab so that people can continue saves without issue on older versions.

People on Steam get rather angry if they can't play their save game because it automatically updated and there is no way to roll back to the older version. Setting up the beta branch is an easy way around that.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: ArguedPiano on July 16, 2016, 07:43:43 AM
Thank you for the replys. The modding community here seems to be keeping pace so far so I'll just keep playing the same way I always have. Plus, I really like this community here.

@viperwasp
You can stop automatic updates for the game itself. Go into your library, right click said game, click properties -> updates, uncheck Automatic Updates box

I haven't seen that box in a long time on any of my games :(  Only options I see for this game are:
1: Always keep Updated
2: Update only when I launch it
3: High priority update: update before other games

ArguedPiano

You know? You're right. I have them set to "Update Only When I Launch". This works for me cause the games I never play are never updated.

potter3390

First i was happy with steam idea, but now, i'm having second thoughts about it. Fisrt with the game update, second with the mods update and how to mantein them working together, i start to think it will be simpler to continue as now downloading the game and mods manually.