Production costs for weapons

Started by Jan2607, July 17, 2016, 08:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan2607

In my opinion, the production costs for weapons on the mechanics workbench are not really well balanced.
The costs of a survival rifle are 90 steel, 3 components.
The costs for a assault rifle are 100 steel, 4 components.
For sniper rifle 100 steel, 6 components. For a LMG 150 steel and 4 components.

So it's possible to craft good weapons within the first days of your colony. Everything you need, is to research mechanics and build the workbench. If you done that, why should you longer rely on survival rifles, when you can craft more powerfull automatic weapons?
One component more or less doesn't really matter.
In my opinion it's too easy to craft automatic weapons.

Before it was possible to craft weapons, I used several mods, which allowed you to craft weapons. In most of them it was easy, to craft pistols and survival rifles, but you had to research advanced weapon smithing for everything else and these advanced weapons were more expensive. Some of them (like LMG and sniper rifle) needed plasteel.

I think, the pathing to automatic weapons should be a bit harder, so that your colonists have to use older weapons like the survival rifle and pistols for a longer term.

Shurp

Have you looked at the range and accuracy on the automatic weapons?

When I go out to kill raiders I prefer the survival rifle.  It's nice to be able to engage mechanoids at long range too.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.