[A14] Non-moving visitors/raiders

Started by thuban, July 17, 2016, 09:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thuban

When a visitor/raider spawn on the map, he stand still and doesn't visit/attack my colony.
Moreover, raiders doesn't fight back when I shoot them.

viscence

Just got the game yesterday, I have the same issue.

Raiders and Visitors start at the edges of the map. If you catch them there just as they arrive you can see them start to move, get half a square, snap back to their original position and then stay there, "standing". It's possible to trade with traders (who have a "?" above them) but they eventually die. I have seen one raider go mad and attack another.

[edit]
More details:
- steam files all validate.
- build id: 1226962 (0.14.1234)
- made a new game with somewhat different settings, same issue.

1. *Circumstances*: Started game. Eventually raiders arrive
2. *What happened*: Raiders do not move
3. *What you expected to happen*: raiders should attack
4. *Steps we can follow to make the bug appear on our machine. This part is important! We need a set of steps which we can follow to get the same results you're seeing. Ideally you'll test these steps to make sure they work from scratch:* That's not going to be possible, this happens every time on my machine, with a brand new install, and I'm guessing it doesn't happen every time on your machine.

However, here's the error message from output.log, referring to a character ("Blur") that has this idle issue:

Blur threw exception while determining job (constant): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RimWorld.ThinkNode_DutyConstant.TryIssueJobPackage (Verse.Pawn pawn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.AI.ThinkNode_Priority.TryIssueJobPackage (Verse.Pawn pawn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.ThinkNode_Conditional.TryIssueJobPackage (Verse.Pawn pawn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.AI.ThinkNode_Priority.TryIssueJobPackage (Verse.Pawn pawn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.AI.ThinkNode_Subtree.TryIssueJobPackage (Verse.Pawn pawn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.ThinkNode_Conditional.TryIssueJobPackage (Verse.Pawn pawn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker.DetermineNextConstantThinkTreeJob () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  lastJobGiver=

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 37)

There are about 8 Mb of this.

viscence

After doing this:
- uninstall game from D drive steam library
- reinstall game on C drive steam library
- start another new game, base building Story AI (Phoebe?) instead of the other one

I've now received my first mobile visitors. I don't know which of those changes did the trick.

robohunterx

You can see if removing all of your settings and data would clear out this odd bug. Of course, it will remove your save files, settings, and other items. Mods can also cause some oddities here and there. If you're interested, the locations where Rimworld stores data are:

\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld (This holds your settings, saves, and worlds
\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld (Of Course the Rimworld Game)
\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\294100 (This is your downloaded Workshop Content for rimworld)

And that should be it. If you want to go super clean mode, you can reinstall your steam and that'll flush out any odd things that could perhaps fix it as well. Let me know if you want to.

Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
   -P. J. O'Rourke

thuban

I removed all my config to start from scratch, but the problem remains.

robohunterx

That's really bizarre, Do you have access to the website's version, or Steam? If so, I'd try the other version if you can and see if the problem persists. If it does, there's something odd going on with your machine.
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
   -P. J. O'Rourke

viscence

Quote from: thuban on July 18, 2016, 04:47:43 AM
I removed all my config to start from scratch, but the problem remains.

- Is your steam library on the C drive?

[note: tested the AI that originally failed, it now works.]

Uninstalling (from D), deleting remnants, and reinstalling (on C) fixed it for me. All via steam.

thuban

I don't use the steam version but the SendOwl download. I will try again with A14c, crossing my fingers.

thuban

Seems fixed with last update. Thanks.

robohunterx

Yeah there seemed to be lots of oddities with A14's initial release...but good on Tynan for nailing the bugs pretty quick!
   -P. J. O'Rourke