[MOD] (Alpha 2) Better Floors

Started by jephly, March 09, 2014, 09:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephly

Better Floors

This simple mod changes the cost and appeal of some of the floor types to make more sense (to me, anyway).

By default (without this mod), paved tiles are identical to metal tiles but cost three times as much.  Metal tiles cost the same (in metal) as concrete tiles, but have higher appeal.

The mod changes metal tiles, paved tiles, and concrete as follows:
Metal tiles: 3 metal (from 1), neutral-looking (no change), 25 work to build (no change)
Paved tiles: 2 metal (from 3), slightly ugly (from neutral), 20 work to build (from 25)
Concrete: 1 metal (no change), ugly (from slightly ugly), 15 work to build (no change)

All other floor types are unchanged.

(Updated.  Current version: 2)

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Vas

But, carpet is already appealing enough as is.  xD  I can't have mental break downs anymore even when my people are "urgently hungry" when I have carpeted bases.  It's almost too east now really, the only difficult bit is raiders.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

jephly

Yeah, I'd like to have more levels of positive "beauty" besides "NiceTiny" and "Gorgeous" (I didn't find any), and I'd probably prefer "NiceTiny" to be less effective than it currently is.  A nice looking room shouldn't trump urgent hunger, I agree.  Anyone know if there's a way for a mod to affect the "beauty" levels, or add more?

(If you think I made carpet too effective, you can always remove that part of the mod.  Just delete the carpet definitions, or change "Gorgeous" back to "NiceTiny", which is the only change I made.)

Vas

"ooooh, my stomach, so much pain, I think I'm about to starve.  But at least my room has a blue carpet, so I think I'm happy enough to not kill everyone."
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

The K

Quote from: jephly on March 10, 2014, 03:37:49 AM
Yeah, I'd like to have more levels of positive "beauty" besides "NiceTiny" and "Gorgeous" (I didn't find any), and I'd probably prefer "NiceTiny" to be less effective than it currently is.  A nice looking room shouldn't trump urgent hunger, I agree.  Anyone know if there's a way for a mod to affect the "beauty" levels, or add more?

(If you think I made carpet too effective, you can always remove that part of the mod.  Just delete the carpet definitions, or change "Gorgeous" back to "NiceTiny", which is the only change I made.)
I used "Nice" for the fancy carpets in my mod and it seemed to work. Gorgeous really is waaay too much for flooring.

jephly

Thanks for the feedback.  I've posted an update.

Carpets are now unchanged.  (To hopefully avoid placating starving pawns.)  I degraded concrete to "ugly" and paved tiles to somewhat ugly (metal tiles remain neutral) so that the three basic types will still have differing appeal.  Although this makes concrete very unappealing to pawns, it's very cheap, and does increase move speed over most natural terrain, so it still has a place.