[MOD] (Alpha 2) Energy Turret - Discontinued.

Started by ItchyFlea, February 26, 2014, 04:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vas

I like the turrets themselves, but they are extremely powerful.  Building one single turret will end the game in immediate victory because no raider wave will ever kill you ever again.  I placed just 2 of these at the front gates then spawned 5 packs of 1000 point raiders with dev mode.  None of them ever made it.  That's like 50+ dead bodies all over the place, some even tried to hide behind trees and rocks, that didn't save them.  It was carnage to the maximum.  It does need balancing before I can make a video involving it.  xP  I was about to make a youtube video with the mods I had collected and balanced and was going to link everything once done.  I can give it a little more time though, if you want to take a look at a bit of balancing?  Perhaps it's just because I was already 120 days into the game when I started this turret and it's research.  I'll try a new file real fast and see how it goes and report back but I am still pretty sure it's overpowered.  Maybe slow down it's rate of fire or something.  xP
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

harpo99999

I also have tried 5 1000 point raider spawns against a defence base of my design with a large number of the energy turrets and it did need several of the lava pumps power supplies and two nuclear power plants, BUT the only ones that got away retreated when the leading bunch of the raider group died, and it even was shooting down two layer stone walls to get the raiders

Darker

Make the turrets consume energy when they fire, much like advanced artilery in Total anihilation. That's the balance.
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

Architect

Quote from: Darker on March 05, 2014, 02:39:14 PM
Make the turrets consume energy when they fire, much like advanced artilery in Total anihilation. That's the balance.

I don't think this should be too difficult using a DLL Flea. You got this down?
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

ItchyFlea

At the moment I don't know how to make .dll files. (Rather, I don't know how to code in C#)
This will probably change by the time Alpha 3 comes around. Although at this stage I'm going to stop working on this mod, as the amount of free time I have might be lowered drastically by the end of this week, and I'd like to use the remaining spare time to focus on my Wood Economy mod.

Of course if that isn't the case, I'll eventually get around to balancing this some more.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Vas

Quote from: ItchyFlea on March 05, 2014, 03:40:47 PM
At the moment I don't know how to make .dll files. (Rather, I don't know how to code in C#)
This will probably change by the time Alpha 3 comes around. Although at this stage I'm going to stop working on this mod, as the amount of free time I have might be lowered drastically by the end of this week, and I'd like to use the remaining spare time to focus on my Wood Economy mod.

Of course if that isn't the case, I'll eventually get around to balancing this some more.

If I find a good balance to the turret in this, I'll send you the files and let you check it out.  I was going to mod my version some till I found something I liked.  The research topics before Energy Turrets, what do they do, nothing right now?
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

ItchyFlea

They don't actually do anything. They are there as my way of justifying why this turret is OP.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

hawkwing

Yeah, as far as I've seen for myself and heard other modders say, research definitions are implemented in xml, but research effects are not. IE, you can define research topics, and structures can define those topics as prerequisites for their construction, but the effects (such as turret cooling letting you fire 4 shots instead of 3) are still hard-coded.

Can't wait to see that change, though. My mod would make a lot more sense as an upgrade than as an override...
Rimworld mods are now available on The Nexus!
Rimworld Nexus
(Goodbye, 600kb upload limit!)

Vas

hawkwing

(previous poster's image, for users too lazy to click on links)
Rimworld mods are now available on The Nexus!
Rimworld Nexus
(Goodbye, 600kb upload limit!)

ItchyFlea

I am discontinuing this mod due to a lack of time. Thank-you everybody who used this turret and gave advice for improving it.
If you wish to use this turret in your own mod, feel free to do so. Also feel free to change/balance the turret as you see fit. All I ask is that you mention my name somewhere in the credits.  :)

Again, thank you all for using this mod.

If you wish to see where my time is being spent, it's on this mod: Wood Economy