[MOD] (Alpha 2) Energy Turret - Discontinued.

Started by ItchyFlea, February 26, 2014, 04:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

Energy Turret

Unfortunately I haven't been keeping up with this mod, despite wanting to work on it, I haven't had the time. So I have given permission to a couple of people to integrate this mod into theirs if they so wish. If anybody else wishes to include my energy turret as-is, or with some balance changes, feel free to do so. Just mention that my name in the credits somewhere. :)

• This mod by Kilroy232 has included my energy turret among the many new, and pretty awesome sounding, turrets he has added. You can find it here: Turret Package
  • This mod by Vas also includes my energy turret, along with several other awesome turrets. You can find it here: Vas's Mods

Description:
This adds 4 new research topics that lead to allowing you to build a vastly better turret. Research all 4 new research topics to unlock the Energy Turret.
Each research project is unlocked by researching the prerequisite, starting with one simply named Energy Turrets

Mod Team:
Download:

Download from ludeon forums:

Screens:

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Changelog:

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

GriffenDorf

Ah this mod is insane, and makes sense. thanks.

hawkwing

A mod that adds more research topics? I wouldn't even care if this was horribly unbalanced and buggy, this is awesome and needed.
Rimworld mods are now available on The Nexus!
Rimworld Nexus
(Goodbye, 600kb upload limit!)

TimMartland

'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

Delta_Com

I tried it out and loved. Two of these were able to hold off 20+ raiders in a hallway trap, so they may be a little OP.

TimMartland

They are a little OP, but really well done. You might want to change the energy rounds from matt blue dots to ones with a proper texture, but otherwise everything looks really good. Maybe you could make an in-between turret like a HMG, and a laser one.
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

StorymasterQ

So the Energy Turrets will only be available after the fourth research? Hmm, what about maybe after the first one, but then further research makes it better, such as strength, rate of fire or range.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

ItchyFlea

Technically the research topics do nothing to the turret. I've added them mainly as justification for why it's the way it is.
In the future I suspect Tynan will open up the possibility of being able to have research affect new content, but in the mean time, it seems the benefits of research (faster mining, etc) are hardcoded.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

StorymasterQ

Will the Energy Turret replace the normal Turrets, or will it be available side-by-side? Either way, you could code multiple turrets, each with their own strength/speed/range definitions, and make them available as the research for it is done.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

hawkwing

Hah, I see you decreased the explosive range on these, too. 8)

Personally, I feel an energy turret like this should explode much more violently than a traditional turret, but I've got my mod running to decrease the blast radius of turrets even further than this turret decreases it, so these numbers work fine for me.

PS: I'm in favor of StorymasterQ's suggestion, above. Security tab is looking a little empty at the moment... don't think anyone would mind a bit of mod-spam cluttering it up until proper research integration is available/understood.
Rimworld mods are now available on The Nexus!
Rimworld Nexus
(Goodbye, 600kb upload limit!)

ItchyFlea

JonoRig

I do Enjoy these turrets; i set up a defence line, with the embrasures and armoury mod; then used the dev console to see how many enemies it would take to kill me... and well; this says it all:

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

DarkXess

Thanks for posting your release, please update your downloads links. You can find our mirror here:

ItchyFlea

What do you mean by 'please update your downloads links'?

DarkXess

lol sorry mate, I meant put our download link on your release page too  :P