Mandated High Priority Order

Started by robohunterx, July 17, 2016, 04:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robohunterx

After not lurking on this forum for a while, the Steam release has really brought me back into the world of Rimworld! After a search on this thread for any likewise ideas, I failed to find any as of recent!

So, to start, I'll TL:DR my idea:
Under the Orders Tab, allow a box selection tool to box select "Highest Priority" aka, do this stuff now, for whatever the box selects.

Concept: I've seen this implemented in two other games that I dearly loves as well, Prison Architect (as of recent) and Banished. (Been there form the start) The concept is simple, you box select whatever you want done right now, and all appropriate colonist will rush to go do that. While this can be a super effective tool that beats the hell out of selecting each colonist, and right clicking an item to do essentially the same thing, this would just make it much quicker and more efficient.

Balance: Using this comes at a price, as it might disrupt daily tasks or other important orders/tasks. If you box select too much, you'll find your colonist queuing up to do whatever you tasked first, essentially going back to the standard way of doing things, just in a big queue. But for quick, area tasks such as mass farm cutting/planting, fire fighting, etc, this could be great!

Implantation: Once an order is given, a call could be set to all colonists with the set job type (For example, if someone is not set to farm, the will not come unless another order is in the area such as hauling) and all will pause their current duties to assist with this order. With this being said, on the other flip-side, there should be an easy way to cancel such an order (In the event of a mistake)

Outcome: For time-critical tasks, this would reduce the micro-management of selecting each colonist to preform 1-task at a time, repeating this process until whatever you needed done, is in fact done.

What do you guys think?
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
   -P. J. O'Rourke

rexx1888

bump this. i remember a mod existed to do this but it was like trying to hoe a garden with a two sticks duct taped together

robohunterx

You can hoe anything with anything if you're brave enough.
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
   -P. J. O'Rourke