[MOD] (Alpha 3F) Wood Economy (v.0.94.1)

Started by ItchyFlea, February 26, 2014, 04:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

Quote from: NephilimNexus on March 01, 2014, 09:06:31 PM
One thing I noticed is that my colonists never cut down trees on their own.  I have to tell them to cut down each tree manually.  Which is odd.
That's intended. You cannot plant new trees yourself, you have to wait for the trees themselves to reproduce. (They are slow to do so, which is intended.) If you were to cut down all the trees on the map, you'd be left in a world where you only have a finite amount of wood to use. Currently, if you leave at least 1 fully grown tree in the world, it's infinite.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Ember

looking good an its nice to have something other than stone or metal
though I'm finding the colors to be a bit too saturated in my opinion, especialy the trees.
try de-saturate the colors a bit

ItchyFlea

I've got someone working on the textures for me, as I'm really bad at making textures myself. The Benchsaw is a good example.  :)
The next version will hopefully include those textures, a few little tweaks, and other additions.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

ItchyFlea

A new version has been released. This version is not compatible with previous versions. You will need to make a new colony, as the game will crash/behave strangely if you attempt to open a save file from 0.91 while running 0.92. Hopefully this is the only time this will occur.

Whats new in this version:
V0.92:
Additions:
Log Walls: Defensive Wood Log Wall. Requires 3 logs to build. 350HP
Wooden Picket Fences: A nice wood picket fence to keeping animals out of your growing areas. Can be shot over. 50HP, 30% Cover.

Changes:
Wood Panel Walls: These replace wood walls. They require 1 log and 7 Planks to build. 100HP.
Trees: Now spawn in groups. Kinda like mini-forests.
Trees: Now drop 25 Logs (Increased from 20)
Renamed RawWood into Logs
Lowered the time it takes to turn a log into 5 planks. (Was 250, Now 200)

NEW TEXTURES!
Extra special thanks to Josh Carter for the textures.

Vas

I like the update, but there would be one small change I think would make fences look better, I took this from your screenshot and did a quick paint.exe edit.

It doesn't look as good when the planks are on both sides, this texture I rigged up in paint, looks like a wooden fence, that you would be able to shoot over.  The texture now looks like a double double sided privacy fence which you'd have to stand on boxes to shoot over.  :P

Just a texture swap suggestion is all.  It can still use planks in it's construction, or logs.  The dark wood walls I saw in the image look more like they'd be constructed from planks as well.  So maybe the fence can use logs and the wall can use logs and planks?  Not sure.  I've just avoided using these wood walls because of how they clash with the game and look, I still use the floors.  :P
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

ItchyFlea

A few things are still using placeholder textures. Log Walls and Fences are using placeholder textures. The Wood Walls are using an in-progress texture. There's probably a couple of other things that I'm forgetting right now.  :)

EDIT:
The screenshot I posted is showing how the wood walls link up with normal metal walls. It doesn't show the log walls (which are using a darker coloured version of the fence texture.)

Vas

Quote from: ItchyFlea on March 06, 2014, 07:13:36 PM
A few things are still using placeholder textures. Log Walls and Fences are using placeholder textures. The Wood Walls are using an in-progress texture. There's probably a couple of other things that I'm forgetting right now.  :)

EDIT:
The screenshot I posted is showing how the wood walls link up with normal metal walls. It doesn't show the log walls (which are using a darker coloured version of the fence texture.)

I thought the log walls might look like those wood walls you have there, only darker or maybe with bark texture instead.  Maybe you can use log floors, where you have a dark colored wood or even bark texture on the floors for a more beautiful finish.  :P

P.S.  Spell check says Coloured isn't a word.  xP  Why do people put ou instead of just o all the time? xD
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

ItchyFlea

Because in my country colour is spelled with ou, same with armour and probably many other words. I'm in New Zealand.  :)

Ember

Quote from: Vas on March 06, 2014, 07:28:32 PM

P.S.  Spell check says Coloured isn't a word.  xP  Why do people put ou instead of just o all the time? xD

it depends on where your spell check is from, color is the american way, and I believe colour is the European way, or whatever it actually is called

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Ember on March 06, 2014, 08:51:16 PM
Quote from: Vas on March 06, 2014, 07:28:32 PM

it depends on where your spell check is from, color is the american way, and I believe colour is the European way, or whatever it actually is called

Whereas Technicolor® is always spelled that way because it's a Registered trademark. The more you know! :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

letharion

So, I have this tree issue....

On the positive side, a wall of trees completely breaks raider pathing/logic, so I'm safer than ever.

Apologies for crappy image quality, the forum restricted file size, so I lowered the quality significantly.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

ItchyFlea

Quote from: letharion on March 07, 2014, 07:10:31 PM
So, I have this tree issue....
On the positive side, a wall of trees completely breaks raider pathing/logic, so I'm safer than ever.
Apologies for crappy image quality, the forum restricted file size, so I lowered the quality significantly.
Ummm....  :o
Trees should be flammable. Try a forest fire.

EDIT: Looks like I made the tree life expectancy a little to high. I've cut the time in half, which might help prevent this from occurring in future versions. Hopefully this doesn't break compatibility...  :-\

DarkXess

Thanks for posting your release. Please update your release post with our download links too :)

You can find our mirror here:

letharion

Quote from: ItchyFlea on March 07, 2014, 07:46:23 PMTrees should be flammable. Try a forest fire.
No can do, every time I try the storyteller decides (due to low population count?) that fires are bad and soon starts to rain. I tried uping the flammability, but numbers about 4 doesn't seem to do much. I tried as high as 1000, but it didn't help.

Quote from: ItchyFlea on March 07, 2014, 07:46:23 PMEDIT: Looks like I made the tree life expectancy a little to high. I've cut the time in half, which might help prevent this from occurring in future versions. Hopefully this doesn't break compatibility...  :-\

Cool, I'll report back if I encounter more issues. :)

harpuea

The tree grows too fast! By the time of a long game, my map is being invested with trees. I can't burn them down fast enough. Also, I can't sell the logs either.

I request that you either slow their growth or make them available for trade. To make it even better, add a variety of furniture that uses use logs as fuel. A log fire light, a cooking stove, etc. That way you can even cook and have light even during a solar flare.