[MOD] (Alpha 3F) Wood Economy (v.0.94.1)

Started by ItchyFlea, February 26, 2014, 04:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

Wood Economy v0.94.1

Description:
    This mod will add a complete wood economy to the game, with trees to cut down, and wood structures that can be built.

Features:

• Trees
    • Wood Table
    • Wood Chair
    • Wood Panel Walls
    • Wood Picket Fences
    • Defensive Log Walls
    • Wooden Doors
    • Bench Saw
    • Wood Floors
    • Wood Mulch - Improves soil fertility by 25%
    • Saplings - Make a tree farm. They grow faster than regular trees, but give less wood. (Can only be acquired from traders.)
    • Wood Brazier - Burn planks for light. Useful during solar flares.
    • Wood Burning Stove - Burn planks to cook food. Useful during solar flares.
    • Integrated Grassless Sand Mod - Stops poverty grass growing on sand.
    Mod Team:
    Important Notes:
    • It's best to harvest trees when they are at 100% growth. Use the 'Cut Plants' command.
    • A new colony is required, as this mod affects world generation.
    • Most of the textures are the final product. A few placeholders still exist.
    • Now includes the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International Public License.
    • You may not include this mod in a mod pack without first obtaining my approval.

Download:
    Wood Economy v0.94.1
    BetterPower+ V2.3.4 Compatibility Mini-mod.

IMPORTANT: This version (0.94.1) should be compatible with saves made using 0.94. The game itself isn't compatible with saves from versions prior to Alpha 3F though.

Screens:

How to install:

• Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
    • Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.
    How to install the BetterPower+ Compatibility Mini-mod:

• Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
    • Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game after you have activated both BetterPower+ and Wood Economy.
    How to use the Brazier and Wood Stove:

• Your colonists will automatically fill both of these with planks.
    • When selected, they will tell you how much firewood they have in them in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen (The Architect Window).
    • To start the fire in them: Select them and either push the shortcut key F, or click the new UI button.
    • For Braziers: The fire takes a couple of seconds to start, and also takes a few seconds to go out if extinguished. Colonists will automatically refill it when it gets low on firewood.
    • For Wood Stove:  The fire cannot be put out once lit. Your colonists will not refill it until after the fire goes out. You should only use the  Wood Stove as a backup stove during solar flares.

Changelog:
    V0.94.1 (Alpha 3F release):
    Updated to work with Alpha 3F.

V0.94 (Alpha 3 release):
    Additions:
    Saplings: Plant a synthetic tree. Can only be planted on dirt or wood mulch. (Buy them from farming traders.)
    Wood Stove: Cook food without electricity. Just needs planks to burn. (Special thanks to Haplo for the code.)
    Brazier: Burn wood planks for light. (Special thanks to Haplo for the code.)
    Synthetic Tree: It grows extremely quickly in all conditions but cannot spread.
    Traders: Wood Economy specific one added.
    Fence Gate added.
    Bench Saw: Visual effect when used.
    An Easter Egg: Can you find it?

Changes:
    Wood Walls: Recipe change. Now 2 Metal 5 Planks. Now also transmits power.
    Traders: Significantly changed.
    Wood Economy Resources: Increased worth of mod related resources. Logs/Planks/etc.
    Log Walls: Now return 1 log when destroyed.
    Wood Mulch: Now supports the same surfaces that ordinary soil does. Fertility improvement increased to 1.25 (Was 1.2)
    Trees: Grow regardless of light level.
    Sand: Poverty Grass no longer grows on it. Cacti still does. (Integrated my Grassless Sand Mod)
    Simple door: Changed to wooden door. Changed costs, allowed it to transmit power.
    Bench Saw: Planks and Wood Mulch are now made separately.

BetterPower+ Compatibility Mini-mod:
    NOTES:
    This changes the Brazier and Wood Stove so that they can use Coal from BetterPower+.
    You must activate this after you have activated both BetterPower+ and Wood Economy.[/list]
    All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
    Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

rsdworker

looks nice idea because wood is more quicker to build and trees can regrow back and again and again

madpluck

Giving this a try; I will let you know my feedback issues! Should I play it by itself or can I use it with some other mods?

FowlJ

I've been playing a little bit with this, and I've not found anything that looks like a real bug, but a couple things I notice with the balance:

- The appearance modifier seems really high. I had a 2 tile wide hallway floored with wood, and despite the whole thing being covered with rock bits from mining, colonists in it were getting the 'beautiful environment' modifier - for it being so easy to gather, that seems a bit much.

- Relating to that last bit, you get a whole lot of wood really quickly. There are plenty of trees around, each of them drops a bunch of logs, those logs get turned into even more planks, and the sawmill works extremely fast. Even if you wanted to build your entire colony out of wood, you'd need remarkably little in the way of time and trees to do so.

TimMartland

No pics, no clicks dude. Sounds awesome though.
    'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
    -Arthur C. Clarke'
    'Needs moar boosters!'
    -Jebadiah Kerman

JonoRig

This is a nice idea; but i would say a lot of things need balancing, afterall, its only wood; i agree with everything FowlJ says; you harvest way too much wood per tree, the sawmill is way too quick, produces too many planks per 10 logs and all the wood items use very few planks; but i also think the trees are spawning too fast, and most importantly, the wood walls are too strong (600hp, compared to a metal walls 250?) plus, if its possible, i would suggest making it all a bit more flammable; otherwise i think this is an awesome mod, and fits well with the new crafting systems

Nasikabatrachus

Did someone say pics?

Although the textures certainly need work, as you acknowledge, I do like the "Little House on the Prairie" feeling that the wood texture gives to a building:

http://puu.sh/7e5uO.png

Wider view:

http://puu.sh/7e5Tt.png

I noticed some issues with cactus overlap and the blueprint texture:

http://puu.sh/7e5Lh.png
    http://puu.sh/7e5Nv.png

One disadvantage the trees have compared to e.g. cactuses is that it's easier to notice that they are occluded by natural rock walls.

My main criticism is that the plank cutting labor time seems to be very low and that a single tree yields a lot more wood than intuitively makes sense.

I think that if trees yielded log debris (i.e. objects like boulders rather than resources) and if each log yielded maybe twenty planks overall the wood economy would feel more realistic.

ItchyFlea

Wood Economy v0.91 has been released.

Download: Wood Economy v0.91

Changes:
    Trees: Now drop 20 Raw Wood instead of 250.
    Bench Saw: Takes 10x longer to process wood into planks.
    Bench Saw: Changed the Raw Wood -> Planks recipe. Now it's 1 -> 5. Before it was 10 -> 25.
    Walls: Dropped HP from 500 to 100
    Walls: Removed the Raw Wood cost (The game was ignoring it anyway.)
    Wood Floors: Lowered the beauty rating to match smooth stone floors.

Fixes:
    Made a proper blueprint texture and removed the flipped metal wall texture.

Known Issues:
    Cactus overlaps the tree texture.
    All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

madpluck

Well! I agree with all the comments that got made today and am really happy with your changes! This is a great addition to make the world more interactable.

OpposingForces

hello, new here.
    might i suggest the addition of wooden fences? would work like sandbags, just cheaper and nicer looking.
    No one can hear you scream in space. But the Raiders get a chuckle from you screaming while a boomrat eats you.

TimMartland

You might want to tone down the trees, they are really bright and contrast  a lot with the rest of the games vegetation. Also, the wood seems to put a very fine line around it, making it look kind of strange. Maybe you should add a border, or allow it to interact more with surrounding tiles like the stock paving tiles.
    'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
    -Arthur C. Clarke'
    'Needs moar boosters!'
    -Jebadiah Kerman

Vas

From the pictures, I'd say you might want to darken the  wood just a little.  It kinda stands out to much.  Also you might want to make the boards a little thinner.  It looks a little strange in it's current state is all I'm saying.  I'll give it a go though.  If you want to make wood thinner, you could just half size the texture file and tile it 2x2.  That'd make the boards thinner for sure and smaller.  Which I feel would fit better with the game.  But darker wood would also be nicer, to more closely take the colors of the game.

Edit:
    In my very first map gen, it seems that trees have spawned on geysers, and in deserts.  That should be tweaked too.  xP  They also kinda stick out like a sore thumb, but not as bad as the wood.  Maybe lower the saturation of the image a bit?  Try and get close to the same color palate as the game?
    Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Architect

How have you edited the terrain generation? I've been looking to do that and i cannot figure out how... Also, how are you managing to create new instances after set periods of time? Another thing I'm struggling with.
    Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

ItchyFlea

The trees are, in a small sense, a modified Saguaro Cactus. The new ones that pop up are using the same mechanism the Saguaro cactus uses to create new instances of itself. Just at a lower rate. Feel free to poke around in the Trees.xml file to see what I've done. :)

NephilimNexus

One thing I noticed is that my colonists never cut down trees on their own.  I have to tell them to cut down each tree manually.  Which is odd.