Stacks of different stuff

Started by Listen1, July 20, 2016, 01:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listen1

Hello everyone,

I wish to know, Is there a tool to stack itens of different materials/qualities/hitpoints? A function that would allow for a single cell to receive a stack of T-shirts of the same quality/material/hitpoint? If that is possible, will it be possible to stack T-shirts of different qualities/etc?

The one workaround I found this would be the Mod - Quantum Stockpiles.
If I remember right, the quantum stockpiles acted as a multicell stockpile condensed in one cell. This allows the itens being throw on a single cell and stacking up regardless of the type.

If this is refined, we might get something pretty good out of it, for example:

- Wardrobes - Possible to stack 5 - 15 counts; clothes of any kind, hats count as 1, shirts/pants as 2, parkas as 3. Single cell or 2 cell, would help tiding up a colony. When you right-clicked, shows multiple clothes to be equipped.

- Armory cabinet - Similar to the weapon rack, but has the capacity to store more weapons/armors. Also has a count, some weapons count as 1, others as 3. When you right-clicked, shows multiple weapons to be equipped.

- Folding - Kinda works oposite to the other two, but can be done, a hauler can "fold" clothes together, making a single cell stack of clothes on the floor. Has a count too.

On this same line of thought, many foods/resources could have composite shelves/barrels/friedge (to store meals).

Something like that needs to be implemented on the game, but I don't know how the game reacts to this stacks.

b0rsuk

How would you display them and still make contents clear ?

winddbourne

I'd display them as actual container items and show a list of contents with numbers when you mouse over them; I don't have a pile of food in my kitchen I have a pantry with shelves, counters with drawers, and a bunch of cupboards and in addition to my fridge.

If nothing else having containers should add to the beauty level of a room and make it easier to sort out your goods. Right now it is often better to look at the list of items in the top left corner anyway for an accurate list of supplies . . . the colonists will have several partial stacks in a storage area . . . this is especially true with food where people and animals are constantly pulling from full stacks and hauling in new food just to set them in their very own square.

It is also pretty much mandatory for things you have a huge number of . . . when I have several hundred steel covering the floor in huge piles I'd almost always rather look at the list for "steel" rather than try to zoom in and do a manual count. Especially if I have several projects I want to do and I need to see if I have enough to set up and complete them all without trading or mining.

The only time the numbers on the ground option comes out on top for me is when I'm first setting out. It's nice to be able to scour the ground around the crash site making the biggest stacks available first so my colonist brings in the stack of 65 wood before the stack of ten, and (of course) manually forcing him to grab the stack of ten food that animals might eat before the stack of five food, or any of the wood/steel.

It makes sense that cast always are tossing things into a rough storage shelter . . . it even makes sense that the rich explorer is stashing his gear (initially) in a shed of some sort . . . but if you're establishing a thriving colony, or re-establishing a village that intends to stay on this planet FOREVER and defend against the death machines . . . well then it seems really odd that you'd spend much time without building chests, drawers, shelves, etc . . .

Colonists in a thriving settlement should be DEMANDING better organization for the bonus it gives to cleanliness and beauty if nothing else. :)

I also wouldn't blame Tynan if eventually he had piles of rice, potatoes, etc . . . that are left on the ground somewhere get infested with rats, bugs, or other vermin . . . refrigeration or using a modern screw silo would reduce or eliminate such events, as might using chests, and relying on pemmican, jerky, biscuits, pickles, and other preserved food stocks.

Listen1

Quote from: b0rsuk on July 20, 2016, 04:02:34 PM
How would you display them and still make contents clear ?

I would create a "Content" button that opens as a bill and shows little icons of what is stored there. These Icons would be right-clicked to interact. Also a general inventory that shows everything you have in stockpiles and had a "search" on the top, with the same interaction as above.

I believe that the inventory is on CCL or one of Fluffy's mod.

b0rsuk

I'm 90% sure Tynan wants all stockpiles to be clear at a glance, and that's why it won't be added. He really treats clarity seriously. Imagine trying to find a shotgun you know should be somewhere. Which square was that ?

Listen1

Indeed, this a problem with my ideia that needs improvment.

As for clarity, I disagree that now all stockpiles are clear at glance, after your colony scales up to huge sizes, unless you do specific stockpiles sorted by itens/quality, there's no way you will find what you need.

The inventory, specially for clothes/weapons, would help alot on the endgame scenarios.

CannibarRechter

Quote from: b0rsuk on July 20, 2016, 07:18:03 PM
Imagine trying to find a shotgun you know should be somewhere. Which square was that ?

In the Weapons Locker, of course.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Listen1

Quote from: CannibarRechter on July 21, 2016, 01:46:48 PM
Imagine trying to find a shotgun you know should be somewhere. Which square was that ?

In the Weapons Locker, of course.

Non-Helpful but true.

I'm experimenting with a colony where I separete almost every item with individual stockpiles. Maybe this is how the game should be played.

But, a Stack of 75 stoneblocks, as it stands now, uses the same space that a tuque.

keylocke

containers can have inventory.

it's like the crates/barrels system in other games. so you can control what kind of items are stored in each container.

if you place a container on top of a stockpile then the stockpile would control the contents of all containers on top of it.

so there's 2 options.
1) setting stock option in each container. (each container has it's own stockpile)
2) letting the stockpile control the stock options for every container within it.

both options are viable simultaneously. (a stockpile basically just overwrites the default stockpile of a container. while removing a container from a stockpile would set it's stock options back to default)

skullywag

Wivex has some containers as part of his overhaul "Rimworld Ascension" they are an improvement over his modded containers he had a while back, they store things like a chest and pawns know about whats inside them etc, its all rather clever.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Listen1

Quote from: keylocke on July 22, 2016, 08:44:38 AM
containers can have inventory.

That is one of the answer I was looking for. Now we know that if someone wants to make a whole mod (containers for stuff) it is possible.

Thinking it further, besides Weapons, Personal Shields and Beer, there aren't many itens you force pawns to equip. So the visual representation of what is in it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

skullywag, I believe that there isn't any mods like this right know. About the Inventory mod, do you know if it is made by EDB?

grisamentum

I'm 90% sure Tynan wants all stockpiles to be clear at a glance, and that's why it won't be added. He really treats clarity seriously. Imagine trying to find a shotgun you know should be somewhere. Which square was that ?

But looking for a particular shotgun in a 20x20 stockpile of weapons isn't clear either.

Besides, equipment selection could also be from the pawn's screen, so that the player doesn't need to locate the specific weapon in the first place. Thus when it's easier to locate the weapon on the screen, the player can right-click equip (current implementation), but when it's easier to pick the shotgun off of a list of 50 weapons, that player could do that from the pawn's screen.