Z-Index. Will it ever happen?

Started by Timber, February 26, 2014, 07:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonistPally

Quote from: keylocke on March 01, 2014, 07:39:44 PM
some people like z-levels on their base building game, some people don't. i'm one of those people that actually do like it , does our opinion no longer count?

anyways, when i heard rimworld was made on unity 3d, it kinda got my hopes up since i was thinking that z-levels for a base building game can be added later on since this was being developed on a 3d game engine, which would've made perfect sense if there was a high enough demand for it.

but, it's practically a moot point arguing about it now, since i've read somewhere that tynan doesn't seem to be interested in adding z-levels in the first place. so..

I think he wants to add it. But it's the kind of "want to add it" like "wish it didn't take so much work to do."

Geez you brought up moats. How cool would that be! You just did trenches and wait until it rains. :) Dig deeper to make a pond or lake. Dig too deep and have a well.

You bring up raider AI again and my brain switched gears from a StarCraft defense to a tower defense. If they just rode in armored vehicles they could bypass your turrets altogether unless you had Czech hedgehogs everywhere. :-) Or you could have the raiders doing drops from air ships. So that'd be like Z^2+ and you'd need missile upgrades on your turrets or they could just freely land anywhere... Or they could tunnel underneath or hell just give them those mountain tunnel vehicles from Ninja Turtles that Shredder road around.

I hope you don't feel like I'm shutting you down. If I could wave a magic wand ... it would be interesting. :-) and Z would be on there because the first thing I would do is take over all the high ground Z^1 then guard towers Z^2 and then dig dig dig dig. So I'd build down instead of out which would help the fatigue situation so much...

Anyway I support you. So please don't think I'm trying to shoo you away or shut you up. I'm on your side on thinking Z would be very very very cool.

keylocke

Quote from: colonistPally on March 01, 2014, 07:47:54 PM
I hope you don't feel like I'm shutting you down. If I could wave a magic wand ... it would be interesting. :-) and Z would be on there because the first thing I would do is take over all the high ground Z^1 then guard towers Z^2 and then dig dig dig dig. So I'd build down instead of out which would help the fatigue situation so much...

Anyway I support you. So please don't think I'm trying to shoo you away or shut you up. I'm on your side on thinking Z would be very very very cool.

ah, my previous post was a reply to this post by Vas'  :

Quote from: Vas on March 01, 2014, 09:22:03 AM
I don't like the idea of z-index used for multi-level building,

as for this part of your post :

Quote from: colonistPally on March 01, 2014, 07:47:54 PMGeez you brought up moats. How cool would that be! You just did trenches and wait until it rains. :) Dig deeper to make a pond or lake. Dig too deep and have a well.

it seemed like you got mixed up with the details between vas' post and my post.
but anyways.. knowing that there are others who share similar views about z-levels on a base building game is kinda rad.

further more, there seems to be a growing number of base building games popping around like mushrooms these days, developed on both 2d or 3d game engines. honestly, i still think that 2d games built on a 3d engine (while still maintaining a fixed camera aspect to simulate a 2d view) has way more capabilities than a game that was built entirely on a 2d game engine. this is what separates rimworld from the other 2d base building games out there, because it already has a built-in x/y/z axis due to the 3d game engine that was used in development.

basically the gist is : "think in 3d, but give the illusion of 2d"

colonistPally

Sorry yeah I do get confused. Yes 2d in a 3d engine is a really good idea and very versatile.

I imagine even if we don't specifically have Z levels, we could still have things like air transports since Z still technically exists?

So if we're on a huge map and a new colonist is down on the other side of the map or someone that's traveling through, we can "get to the choppa!" and go nab them and just chopper back.

Or on larger maps when we have a "home 1" and a "home 2" we can shuttle people back and forth in our helicopters (for an expensive resource cost) instead of the slow muffalo caravans....

vagineer1

I do hope that Z-levels are added in the future.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

ccheuer

Z-Index is already in the game. Everything is just on Z level 0.

Dragoon_103

I think I would rather have a sub level, similar to the ground level, but its mostly all rock and little caves, I think it would work like age of wonders 3 where it is basically another world where you can go to but ts still in the same "area". I think it would he relatively easy and would rather that then an over world map 2x the size, or have the procedural world like factorio, that would be just amazing

JonoRig

I personally am not a fan of the idea of Z-levels, and to be fair, if it is some Ty really doesn't want to do, then we shouldn't be trying to force it in