[MOD] (Alpha 3F) E-Vehicles (v.0.02)

Started by Evul, February 26, 2014, 09:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evul

Description:
This mod adds decorative (at the moment) vehicles to the game. You can build them for cosmetic effect in your base and make the base more alive.

Mod Team:
Evul (Lead Developer)
Blackjack1000K (Art)

Download:

Screenshots:

Known Issues:
Currently none.

Bug and feedback tracker:

FAQ:
Q: Will i be able to interact with the vehicles?
A. Yes, later. At the moment they are only decorative.

Misc:

Donate:
Do you like what i'm doing? You can support me by make a donation. The donated funds will go to finance the servers and development tools i using. Every little bit help!

Jones-250

Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

TimMartland

If you can make them go, you will be forever remembered.
These look really awesome and fit the games aesthetic well. Any chance you could make an avatar/natural selection 2 style mech?
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

Evul

Plans on adding some kind a car/suv, a truck, a shuttle, and a mech. My future plan is make them move or do something. :)

Evul

A small test for the car.

I will make some more details to it but its a small progress of the look. :)

Tynan

I suggest you use <overdraw>true</overdraw> and have the vehicle be slightly larger than the squares it occupies.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Evul

Will check it out i think the bike got messed up doing it. But I try it :)

knight133

Evul your amazing, to do vehicles too please, add howitzers you know artillery from the WW2 in the American army, Thanks your a good buddy.

Evul

I will first of focus on the liste presented above. I might add other veichles later but the main focus is that.

SlayR

It would be possible to make them driveable if you could make the colonist attach to the bike, and make the bike a living character that is faster. Just a quick idea.

Evul

I what them to be driveable but it is not possible at the moment.

Zack_Wester

hmm I'm thinking on one thing its incredibly sheep and lazy but it might work... that is if there is an Teleport function.

set one car at home and have your colony place an car park here marker/becon.
well the coloniest walks to the car teleports whit the car to the marker walks away do its thing walks back to the car teleports back to the garage or what not.

As I said it need an Teleport function and you can wall in the car and it will still be able to get anywere your coloniest have walked to at least one time before ((to place the becon/marker).

Evul

i have some kind of similar solution in my head to.
You "Mount Vehicle" and the colonist gets inside the vehicle. And you can do this with more then one colonist with different vehicles.
Then you can right click and press "Go on expedition" and all the vehicles will teleport away and preforms a mission.

Example topics:
We found material (find food/metal/other)
We found a abandon settlement (find food/metal/weapons)
We found a injured person (find a injured)
We got assaulted (dies/injures/capture)

and other missions. ^^

Monkfish

If you add in a teleport function, it would need some form of cooldown otherwise it'll be far too unbalanced.

If I were to implement vehicles, I'd have them use power and store it onboard in a battery that drains constantly when the vehicle is in use. This would give them limited range and require that they be recharged prior to their next use, giving balance. This is how I'd do it:

- Add a research project to research vehicles. Project should require a couple of day's worth of research time (not sure what that would be in points?)
- Once research is complete, a new building would be available; the Vehicle Bay. The Vehicle Bay would require a sizeable amount of metal (400) and have a high draw (1200W).
- Once building is constructed, vehicles would be available. I would have; a small scout vehicle that is fast and fairly efficient but doesn't have weapons or storage for hauling; a transport vehicle that is slower but has storage to carry items, although it is also unarmed; an armoured vehicle that is the same speed as the transport but has no storage, but it does have a turret. This vehicle would require two people, one to drive and one to shoot (with minimum shooting skills required - +7 probably). I'd also think about adding a recovery vehicle of some sorts, and I'll cover why it would be needed very shortly...
- Vehicles will have an on-board battery that stores electrical charge (10,000Wd) and drains at a rate suitable for the vehicle (-5000Wd for the scout and 12,000Wd for transport and armoured) whilst it is on. Totally draining the battery will result in the vehicle stopping.
- Vehicles can be switched off so as to preserve power if they're currently sat idle (for example, whilst a colonist loads supplies into a transporter). There would be a warmup time of a few seconds when switching a vehicle back on.
- Vehicles would be charged at the Vehicle Bay and require that the vehicle is off otherwise there would be a high chance of explosion. They would recharge at the same rate regular batteries are recharged at (with the same conditions for them being recharged i.e. enough power).
- Being able to switch off the vehicles means only one vehicle bay would be required to service a fleet, although obviously having more vehicle bays would mean being able to charge more vehicles at once.
- Add research project to research solar panels that can be retro-fitted onto vehicles that gives them the ability to recharge themselves. The rate would be fairly low (+2500Wd, although this might vary on a per-vehicle basis) so that they're really only for range extending or recharging a vehicle that is dead rather than being able to run a vehicle infinitely.

So yeah, that's how I would do it. I pulled those figures out of my arse by the way, I have no idea if they'd work and they would probably need a lot of balancing. I hope someone makes this happen, be it Tynan or someone else. It's either that or I need to learn coding and do it myself.
<insert witty signature here>

HawkWinters

Quote from: knight133 on February 27, 2014, 08:10:53 PM
Evul your amazing, to do vehicles too please, add howitzers you know artillery from the WW2 in the American army, Thanks your a good buddy.
You know Howitzers predate the American army and WW2 right?

Back to topic:  Cool mod.  I can't wait until they become fully functioning.  Might need to adjust the shadow effect for that car concept ;)
I fully support the wholesale slaughter of everyone, everywhere, by everyone else. 
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!