[B18] Advanced Biomes - Poison forest, volcano, savanna, wetland and wasteland

Started by Hey my team rules!, March 22, 2018, 04:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey my team rules!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1338280929
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1s1nka0afgsmanp/Advanced%20Biomes.zip?dl=0

Terraforming has always been more art than science. The process often resulted in a planet with an unstable biosphere. Poisonous forests, lakes of lava, and unregulated weapons testing have left scars across the landscape. These areas pose a unique threat to colonists, only the desperate or foolish would attempt to live there.

Advanced Biomes adds 5 new biomes to RimWorld, complete with custom weather, plants and animals.

Poison Forest: A thick, poisonous forest. The stale air carries millions of fiberous spores. The terrain is soggy with scum and muck. Spiney thickets of poplars cover poison briar and plump fungi.

• Poison Spores Weather. Colonists will gradually build up toxicity while outdoors. Let them stay inside every few days to reduce the toxicity until they become immune.
  • New moths, mushrooms, blue deer.
Savanna: A savanna is a rolling grassland scattered with shrubs and isolated trees, which can be found between a tropical rainforest and desert biome. Not enough rain falls on a savanna to support forests.

• Big animals, tall grass and few trees makes this ideal for hunting and ranged combat.
  • New acacia and baobab trees.
Volcano: A volcano is a rupture in the crust of a planet, that allows hot lava, volcanic ash, and gases to escape from a magma chamber below the surface.

• Pools of lava give off tons of heat and light up the night.
  • Volcanic eruptions block the sun for a few days.
Wetland: A wetland is a land area that is saturated with water, either permanently or seasonally, such that it takes on the characteristics of a distinct ecosystem.

• Water makes it difficult to find places to build here.
  • New sword fern, ivy, cedar trees, and mangrove trees.
Wasteland: A highly radioactive desert. Nuclear contamination from weapons testing, war or meltdowns has permanently altered the landscape.

• Pools of radioactive waste light up the night.
  • Hardly any trees, and nothing to eat but mutant animals.
Advanced Biomes will be updated periodically, please leave a comment if you have a problem or suggestion.

Runelea

Question, can you add a mod config menu in to give players control over which biomes will be generated? Gives more flexability if someone wants to spawn an 'all natural' planet, or possibly a hellscape planet.

Umbreon117

I'll shoot your colonists...After a long nap.

Sliderpro

Wow. I Think this is big. I am soo downloading it. Nothing with glowing radioactive waste can be bad right?
Holy balls radioactive glowing waste. I am shaking with excitement.

Hey my team rules!

Runelea, I'm not that great at C# scripting. Maybe I can find someone in the modding discord to help me set something like that up. The biomes in this mod correspond to heat, rain and elevation. You can generate more wasteland by making a cold dry world, for example.

Fatsack

This is honestly what this game needs more of.  More biomes with more unique gameplay and challenges and animals/events/resources/etc

Wanderer_joins

The heatpush for lava is brutal, my miners found a pocket of lava in a volcano map and the mine turned into a blazing inferno in seconds...

Otherwise i really like the idea of more diverse biomes

Facepunch

Great mod, is there any chance we'll see a compatibility patch for Fertile Fields or something of the sort?

Call me Arty

It's a pretty nice mod, actually. I like it. It's pretty cool that you managed to get it out so complete and functionally compared to other biome mods that are. . . "having a rough go at it."

I do have one complaint though. Take a look at the picture you have in the main post. It's a pretty beautiful globe, with lots of variation and a subtle transition from one section to the next. . . save for the entire coast that's glazed in poison. I understand that it's not the easiest thing to code, and most people don't leave their home tile, but the amount of space covered by poison is a bit extreme. Additionally, the other biomes look really nice and reserved. Rather than Mordor or the last world in a Mario game, the volcanic section just seems like a standard pine forest with lava and ash added, I could probably visit a place on planet earth that looks like it. The wasteland, admirably, isn't just a disgusting grey/brown. Sure, the waste is a bit on the Mountain Dew spectrum of toxic waste, but it's a neat color. . . but my compliments end at the poison forest. It's not the idea of the deathly landscape that kept me away from it, it's that purple-on-purple-on-purple. The grass is purple, the plants are purple, the trees are purple, it all blends together. Some taming is required (well, y'know, for my specific tastes, being only one of the people who are using it and having not provided an ounce of work as contribution to making it happen), either to make it seem more like remarkable place on earth, or at least not a melted-crayon purple.

Everything else, though? It's really well done. It reminds me of the Cactaceae mod (a really nice alien race mod by a really friendly mod creator). It's not bland, but it's really nice and reserved in comparison to the other biome mod, that's adding crystal-covered giant hermit crabs and some giant spiders to it's cave biome.

If you're taking more suggestions, I'd love to see some more unique elements to the biomes. Animals might be nice, things like volcano rabbits would make for some adorable pets, and alligators or toads would be a neat addition to wetlands. I'm not sure what kind of techno-wizardry it would require, but the ability to get obsidian from volcanic areas as a beautiful and sharp (though brittle) material would be welcome. Additionally, buried items in the wasteland of ages past would be interesting, such as old generators that produce power but are dangerous to approach would be an excellent touch (I'll check it's name later, but the Crashlanding mod has a version of this that's pretty cool, where you have to ask yourself if potentially killing a pawn is worth enough power to last until mid game). Making small ones scattered around the map could be an interesting challenge as a combo of insect nests (avoid at all costs, danger!) and geothermal vents (excellent supplies of energy waiting to be exploited). The same goes for poison forests, where the ability to harvest poison from tree bark or some of the plants to act as a nonlethal (in small doses) way to take-down enemies would be a neat leg-up on other mods and game features.

I apologize for the wall of text, and if I seemed ungrateful in any criticism. It's a really good mod I've been awaiting for a long damn while. Nature's (is?) Pretty Sweet was a previous solution to this, but it currently sounds like that poor author is up to his neck in bugs. Other biome mods just stick-out from the base game's art and sensibilities way too much for me to tolerate. This, however, is an excellent addition to the community.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Hey my team rules!

Thanks for the thoughtful criticism. The extent of the poison forest will be scaled back in the next update. I'll see if I can incorporate some of your other suggestions down the road, especially about the look of the poison forest.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Hey my team rules! on March 26, 2018, 11:53:46 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful criticism. The extent of the poison forest will be scaled back in the next update. I'll see if I can incorporate some of your other suggestions down the road, especially about the look of the poison forest.

Thank you for making such a neat mod, I'm currently enjoying a volcanic playthrough. It's got a nice kind of muted beauty to it. Also, thanks for considering my ideas, I appreciate it. I haven't learnt to code yet, so the most I can contribute is an idea here or there.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

RerollUntilCannibal

This mod is excellent. The new biomes are just what I was looking for in a more challenging world. I think the poison forest is my favorite simple due to the constant toxic fallout-esque effect, meaning shelter is extremely important.

The only complaint I have is simply thanks to the world generator its self. Factions seem to avoid the new regions, besides the Volcano, like the plague. This makes sense realistically, but even if I crank up the temperature and wetness so much that the world becomes one big purple hellhole, not a single faction will be in the gigantic poison forests that consume the entire world - only staying around the occasional volcano and Arid Shrubland that spawns. So if you like to raid other factions a lot, you're out of luck.
I'm not sure if this is due to a mod conflict, but I don't think I have any mods that would create this issue. But regardless, all of the biomes that are in this mod are too much fun to pass up, even with the factions avoiding some of them.

EDIT:

Having a mod config menu to have an entirely hellhole planet, as Runelea suggested, is a very cool idea.

RowdyBuffalo

First thanks for the great mod Hey my team rules! It's just the poison biome is a little too purple and it can be irritating to the eyes.

It was my first pick when I got the mod but the purple ruined it for me quick.

I don't know it this is a common complaint or even if it is easy but man I want to do the cult mod there sooo bad I just had to ask.

I originally posted this in suggestion because i'm not much of a forum guy. I was in a rush and did some basic grass asset swapping and it get rid of the purple overload. now some just grass and bushes have the savanna asset.

It could look better i'm not a pro at modding...

Sarge

A Poison Biome 'too many purples' fix.

Mods>Advanced Biomes>Textures>Plant>(PoisonBush/PoisonGrass/PoisonRaspberryPlant/PoisonTreeCecropia)

[attachment deleted due to age]

eksynn

could this please be updated to 1.0 on here? (╥ᴗ ╥ ) i don't have the game on steam~