A fox?

Started by Thane, July 19, 2016, 08:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thane

So a fox just tried to eat one of my people. A fox.

Thoughts?

Any historical precedent?
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Rust

Likely a mad animal. Had numerous ones. Squirrels, Hares (LOOK AT THE BONES!)....had a colonist torn to pieces by a maneating Elephant before.

cultist

Since foxes are new to A14, I assume they were just given the standard predator AI without considering that it would make them hunt humans when they run out of food. A fox can't kill a healthy adult human, that's just silly.

Thorin

Be glad that the tortoises got nerfed, they would kill a bear  ;D
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Mkok

NEVER underestimate the power of squirrels!!!

Foxes are basically the same, only bigger  ;D

Shad

Quote from: Mkok on July 19, 2016, 09:12:50 AM
NEVER underestimate the power of squirrels!!!

Foxes are basically the same, only bigger  ;D
Unfortunately the swarming of animals over a single tile got nerfed, so the squirrels are not as deadly anymore. I remember one of biggest colonies in vanilla get wrecked by the "make every squirrel on the map berserk" event. My colonists could defeat mechanoids, but not the fluffy orange wave of death.

Avtomatik

Shurp

Quote from: cultist on July 19, 2016, 08:19:33 AM
Since foxes are new to A14, I assume they were just given the standard predator AI without considering that it would make them hunt humans when they run out of food.

Yeah, exactly.  When I first saw a fox on the map I thought, "Oh, neat, I bet they've improved the AI so that predators take into account target size before attacking."  3 days later that fox tried to eat my colonist. Grrrrr...

I execute all predators on sight now. 
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Shad

Meanwhile, my new base seems to have a bear problem. Bears camp right outside the base and love to help themselves to a juicy colonist is he is close. I only realised this was problem when the dog got eaten. The owner had a mental break and walked around dazed, outside the base of course, and got eaten by another bear. My pistol equipped colonist tried to rescue with some shots at the bear, but it turned out the starter pistol just makes them angry and has the effectiveness closer to that of a water pistol.

The last colonist gave up and charger the bears with the knife and downed one of them before bleeding out from the missing arm.

Avtomatik

Chibiabos

Quote from: Avtomatik on July 19, 2016, 05:38:06 PM
Rabies?

Yanno, they should introduce zoonotic diseases such as rabies.  Zoonotic refers to a disease that an animal can have that a human can also catch ... contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of diseases are not zoonotic (most diseases humans get, only other humans can have).  Rabies would make a great harrowing one ... it'll drive animals mad -- wild or colony pets -- and humans whom get bit can catch it, and even if you survive it, you can suffer permanent brain damage.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

FalconBR

If you get Rabies, you are dead, like 6 people in the world survived to contracting Rabies and with bad brain damage, and after 6 months of induced coma!
But remember Rabies is a mamal disease only, no lizards with rabies please! A rabies surge on the colony would be a really great challenge!

Shurp

Colonists will panic and run away if they see pirates or other hostile pawns.  Is there any way to get them to automatically run away from predators?  It's pretty silly to think they'll just walk by a grizzly bear without noticing...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

FalconBR

People dying to panther attacks is also common, I send them to hunt a hare, the hare and the panther moves, and the hunter gets attacked by the panther!
We need some kind of system where the colonists avoid getting close to predators!